Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 07:16 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,109,872 times

Advertisements

It has been said that anyone who is on the government dole ( welfare recipients, government workers) will vote for what ever candidate says he will continue on with better social services (welfare programs). Can you imagine all of the people in New Orleans who think Obama has done a great job? The one big problem I see is really ignorant people can still vote, and many of them do. Why would we elect someone who has admitted to being a Muslim, who has made the statement "The United States is the Greatest Country in history, join me in changing it"? Don't ask me how he won, I suspect people just don't care what happens to this country anymore.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:27 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,885 times
The OP's question stuck me as mildly amusing since I recently had a conversation with some conservative friends of mine who are life-long Republicans. They were lamenting that the Republican party has become a party of poorly educated, conspiracy believing, rather ignorant white people and they are embarrassed to even admit to being Republican anymore.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 13 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,981,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Seriously listening to Romney, who has nothing to say (that he hasn't said the opposite of already), and Gingrich, who says that blacks are lazy, food-stamp-taking idiots? I don't think any blacks are seriously listening to either of those fools.

Then they will really be left behind because the incumbent will let them down, too, if he hasn't already.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:35 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Funny that as a black person who knows a lot of black people, I have never met any of these black people who voted for Obama just because he is black. Yet so many white Republicans know black people who did. I call BS.
As a white person who has been in business in a black neighborhood for 20+ years now, I find that claim amusing. All the rage and talk amongst my clientele (some were folks who hadn't voted in years or had never registered to vote before but made SURE they were registered for the 2008 election) voted for Obama because they wanted to see a black man in office. "It's ABOUT TIME" was the general consensus. Maybe you hang out with educated folks who aren't trying to get one over on taxpayers but I hang out with generational welfare/food stamp/work for 6 mos then have your buddy take a bat to your leg so you can collect UE type of folks. Some of my clientele are trying to break the cycle, some are happy to continue the cycle because it sure beats getting out of bed.

You're burying your head in the sand if you thought a large population of any color of skin or political affiliation didn't vote for Obama just because he's black. The white and any other color liberals did too and for the same reason: he's black.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
I am an RN and work with highly educated black Americans (apparently Afican American is not a term welcomed anymore by many) What I am hearing is many black RNs and MDs who voted for Obama the first time around are seriously listening to what Gingrich & Romney are saying. Some are on the fence but most agree nothing upsets them more than someone casting a vote for a candidate they know nothing about. A fellow RN said it is disheartening when she asks some of her extended family members why they voted for Obama only to hear that they think he is really handsome(sorry disagree) or he is such a good speaker. When pressed for what they know about his stances on issues they are absolutely clueless. When he was initially elected, he had some lofty goals to meet and was a motivational type speaker. Most educated black people are seeing the light it seems and looking at other options other than just voting party or race. Interesting observation. I am on the fence about who I like in the republican arena but I am listening and learning. What are your observations? Not a hate thread so don't make it one!!
LOL...right.

It has all the makings of a humongous race baiting thread.

SMH....

Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 13 hours ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Well I was listening to talk radio today and a black Dem trucker called in to say how angry he was at the President for vetoing the Keystone Pipeline, that it was affecting the price of fuel, which is tied directly to his living. Also noted that everything transported by trucks is more expensive, food, clothing etc. He said he would not vote for Obama again.

I'm sure he's learned his lesson by now and can make a difference come November. I hope he changes his allegiance from where he was. Dems want higher fuel prices (which affect all supply) and no jobs.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I am an RN and work with highly educated black Americans (apparently Afican American is not a term welcomed anymore by many) What I am hearing is many black RNs and MDs who voted for Obama the first time around are seriously listening to what Gingrich & Romney are saying. Some are on the fence but most agree nothing upsets them more than someone casting a vote for a candidate they know nothing about. A fellow RN said it is disheartening when she asks some of her extended family members why they voted for Obama only to hear that they think he is really handsome(sorry disagree) or he is such a good speaker. When pressed for what they know about his stances on issues they are absolutely clueless. When he was initially elected, he had some lofty goals to meet and was a motivational type speaker. Most educated black people are seeing the light it seems and looking at other options other than just voting party or race. Interesting observation. I am on the fence about who I like in the republican arena but I am listening and learning. What are your observations? Not a hate thread so don't make it one!
Regarding your thread's title, very sadly, you may well be right. It really doesn't have to be that way, but that's just the way it's been in some circles. Some people have voted for a candidate on the basis of the peripheral and not having looked at the issues and ideologies of said candidate. It's bad enough that we've turned a deaf ear or a blind eye to city council and local races, and let's hope that presidential elections don't end up the same way.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:44 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times
Quote:
No but he might have been elected had the left not taken him out early. I liked him. We need someone to lead who has strong business/economic skills. However I am still listening and learning about each candidate before deciding who I want to vote for.
He took himself out. He has to learn a little self control with the hands.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Haven't they always been?

Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
As a white person who has been in business in a black neighborhood for 20+ years now, I find that claim amusing. All the rage and talk amongst my clientele (some were folks who hadn't voted in years or had never registered to vote before but made SURE they were registered for the 2008 election) voted for Obama because they wanted to see a black man in office. "It's ABOUT TIME" was the general consensus. Maybe you hang out with educated folks who aren't trying to get one over on taxpayers but I hang out with generational welfare/food stamp/work for 6 mos then have your buddy take a bat to your leg so you can collect UE type of folks. Some of my clientele are trying to break the cycle, some are happy to continue the cycle because it sure beats getting out of bed.

You're burying your head in the sand if you thought a large population of any color of skin or political affiliation didn't vote for Obama just because he's black. The white and any other color liberals did too and for the same reason: he's black.
As a black person who is middle class, I can vouch that race has played a major factor in influencing a lot of black people who have never voted before to rally around and vote for Obama. And for educated blacks voting for Obama appeared to be a hybrid of his stance on the issues combined with his racial/cultural identity with AAs.

That being said, all groups are subject to favortism of one of their own. Kennedy got the Catholic vote back in 1960. And when Gore was set to make Joe Liberman his running Vice Prez jews nearly flocked to Gore in the polls. I've noticed that Italians do the same thing with Italian Catholic politicians in NY. Latinos also do the same with city councilman in the Bronx.

It's a general trend that candidates receive a higher than average voter support from people who share their ethnicity. Nothing unsual there to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies