Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 02:08 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,169,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
A party implies full membership from the individual voter, to the block committee person, to city council, mayor, state legislature, the Congress and now the Presidency. Clearly the Democratic Party has been where African Americans from across the country have achieved such political success. African Americans were not given these roles, we earned them. African Americans have shaped the Democratic Party since 1968. It is our Party we built it that way.

Next question?
Apparently Herman Cain didn't get the memo. He is a republican.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:10 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
A party implies full membership from the individual voter, to the block committee person, to city council, mayor, state legislature, the Congress and now the Presidency. Clearly the Democratic Party has been where African Americans from across the country have achieved such political success. African Americans were not given these roles, we earned them. African Americans have shaped the Democratic Party since 1968. It is our Party we built it that way.

Next question?
What exactly did you build? The most corrupt and inefficient political governance, organizations, cities, and towns this nation has ever had?

Detroit...Memphis...New Orleans...Cleveland....Philadelphia....Washington DC.....etc.

Yep, you're right. You DO own it. Your track record is hideous. The next question is....can you explain to us how and why you let these cities rot from the inside out under your "earned" leadership?

Old 01-23-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
If the GOP could get this message out without all the rhetoric, they would have more black voters, period.

Most black people believe in hard work and perserverance. But when you hear the GOP candidates speaking endlessly about black people in stereotypes, it is hard to look around this. Basically it looks like they are only speaking to white people.

More candidates should come into black neighborhoods and tell black people this. I bet the majority of them will listen and agree. If candidates did this, like they do in white neighborhoods, and stop the stereotyping and lumping of all black people into one group, then more black people will join the GOP.

Instead we hear that our kids should be janitors to learn hard work or that we are still on a plantation (slaves). All of that is just ridiculous.

I do not like any political party and I have voted for GOP governors, state, federal, and local city council representatives. And a lady here in Atlanta who was lambasted as a "republican" like it was a dirty word in our last mayoral competition it was hilarious that this was used to scare people into voting for our current mayor, whom I didn't vote for, but for many black people republican equals racist. That legacy will be hard to erase unless republicans stop references to race and focus on all the hard work, perserverance stuff for all people and openly criticize other party members who do not stop the racial rhetoric.
I agree it is rediculous but NEVER have I heard what you claim!

Old 01-23-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What I've found debating on the internet and in person in regards to the Black community. Is that many Blacks simply lack anaytical and reasoning skills. If a message is coming from a GOP or right wing individual it is immediately rejected. No further analysis is done.
This is almost exactly what my black associates were saying. They also said it is not acceptable in the black community to be a republican and if you are keep it to yourself. One analogy made was it is like Hollywood...to be popular and accepted..just not cool to be a republican so you just keep quiet!

Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
I am an RN and work with highly educated black Americans (apparently Afican American is not a term welcomed anymore by many) What I am hearing is many black RNs and MDs who voted for Obama the first time around are seriously listening to what Gingrich & Romney are saying. Some are on the fence but most agree nothing upsets them more than someone casting a vote for a candidate they know nothing about. A fellow RN said it is disheartening when she asks some of her extended family members why they voted for Obama only to hear that they think he is really handsome(sorry disagree) or he is such a good speaker. When pressed for what they know about his stances on issues they are absolutely clueless. When he was initially elected, he had some lofty goals to meet and was a motivational type speaker. Most educated black people are seeing the light it seems and looking at other options other than just voting party or race. Interesting observation. I am on the fence about who I like in the republican arena but I am listening and learning. What are your observations? Not a hate thread so don't make it one!

I'm very disappointed with President Obama, but I do not see any better alternative either. Newt is an immoral racist, Romney is an elitist that is running only to benefit is own wants, Santorum is also on the payroll of the lobbyist also. Paul is just a little too extreme for many people. Personally the best candidate for the presidency was bounced earlier, The governor of La.

I really think that the whole thing is rigged. In 08' the republicans had that dizzy Palin run with Mcain, that in itself was deal breaker for the intelligent...he could not win. Now you have these clowns from the island of misfit politicians. None of them are truely electable under any circumstances including Obama, but unfortunately we as Americans have to pick one and hold our noses.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:28 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm actually an independent and voted for Obama in 2008. The GOP is not perfect but I think their ideology comes closest to the core values and factors that made this country great. Hard work, ingenuity and the ability to rise in society based on an individual's ability. For some reasons the Dems come across as being apologists for our success and represent ideals that to me don't make sense. For example this latest empasis on income equality. What's their goal in regards to this issue? To make sure everyone has the same income? How does this help society and make America competitive on a global scale?

Okay, I really didn't get any specific examples and you still felt the need to speak about Democrats. I am looking for solutions which cannot be obtained by criticizing Democrats, especially since they are not the root of all the issues that we face today.

Also, there is really no need to be so extreme about the income equality thing. Most people are not expecting everyone to make the same income, nor are they envious of the rich. You cannot deny that the the income growth among the middle class has been extremely slow, while that of the rich has skyrocketed. The middle class is shrinking. No one expects an average worker to make as much as a CEO but is it really necessary for a CEO to make 300 times as much? 40 years ago, a CEO only made 4 times as much.

With so much wealth concentrated within 1% of the population, we are getting closer to becoming a third world country. The middle class is shrinking. This is not a good thing and it cannot simply be blamed on social programs or a poor work ethic. If the poor should be more responisble and work harder, then the rich should stop being so greedy. There needs to be some compromise. Honestly, I am disappointed with the Democrats as well and I think the country is being run by a greedy few.

Last edited by Factsplease; 01-23-2012 at 03:02 PM..

Old 01-23-2012, 02:31 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,720 times
So what does it mean when white republicans go democrat? Since so many people on CD think all black democrats are the scum of the earth........

Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
So what does it mean when white republicans go democrat? Since so many people on CD think all black democrats are the scum of the earth........
To see value in being a Democrat...and more precisely a liberal......certainly makes you the "scum of the earth"....no matter what race you are! I don't discriminate!

Old 01-23-2012, 02:34 PM

IMO politicians in general are shady. IMO again anyone who is in politics has a personality/character disorder from the get go however we must elect one of these people to represent our country. I also believe possibly people who become high ranking politicians may have started out as decent human beings but the nature of the beast is they will all become corrupt eventually even self serving. Sad but true.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:44 PM

779 posts, read 537,776 times
No. What a dumb question.

Also, NC is very anti-union. You'd likely get a much different response from unionized HC workers in other parts of the US.

That said, the OP's thread-starting post sounds like one of those "I have a black/gay/other minority coworker/friend who says..." stories. I take these stories with a VERY large dose of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies