Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:36 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
And yet, the Republicans continue to directly blame President Obama for the rise in gas prices.
You've seen how he's allowed Iran to act haven't you, could have a lot to do with it. With Muslim Brother Hood close to taking over, Libya, Egypt and Syria, we probably haven't seen nothing yet, in prices.

President Obama is in charge right now, what's he doing to stop it??? Besides saying "NO" to Keystone.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,169,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
My observation is that it seems you're "asking permission" to see uneducated unemployed blacks becoming the face of the Democratic Party.

How hard is it to understand a question? What are your observations? I gave mine based on this and several other discussions with black colleagues. It isn't the gospel It is so different from what I was hearing 3-4 years ago. I simply asked what is anyone or everyoone reading my thread hearing on their end. Big country so I expect diverse answers. I don't need permission . Freedom of speech is still alive unless that ends ..noone should ask permission to say or express anything

Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,627 times
He's a despicable, aloof & distant POTUS who continues to be hamstrung by not trying to offend anybody Muslim or African-American, and his out-of-control AG is still employed.

The fact that he hasn't criticized the Fort Hood shooter solely because of the color of his skin is equally reprehensible; can you imagine him keeping his mouth shut during the David Koresh Waco massacre?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:16 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
98% of blacks vote Democrat no matter what. Being Democrats are so willing to only vote one way, the Democrats have long since stopped giving them more than lip service since they don't have to.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
98% with Obama, maybe they are more like 92% other times.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
I am an RN and work with highly educated black Americans (apparently Afican American is not a term welcomed anymore by many) What I am hearing is many black RNs and MDs who voted for Obama the first time around are seriously listening to what Gingrich & Romney are saying. Some are on the fence but most agree nothing upsets them more than someone casting a vote for a candidate they know nothing about. A fellow RN said it is disheartening when she asks some of her extended family members why they voted for Obama only to hear that they think he is really handsome(sorry disagree) or he is such a good speaker. When pressed for what they know about his stances on issues they are absolutely clueless. When he was initially elected, he had some lofty goals to meet and was a motivational type speaker. Most educated black people are seeing the light it seems and looking at other options other than just voting party or race. Interesting observation. I am on the fence about who I like in the republican arena but I am listening and learning. What are your observations? Not a hate thread so don't make it one!

First off, I do not see how your title ties in with your opinion piece. I do not know how one starts with a flawed sample of 4 or 5 or 10 or 20 people they know and extrapolate such a conclusion about the whole. Secondly, if these people voted for Obama, but are now “seeing the light”, then obviously (by their own admission....or your interpretation) they were voting in the darkness of ignorance to begin with, which does not sound very educated to me.

It sounds to me like you are projecting and reading what you want to read from your conversations with these so-called educated “black Americans”.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:13 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
I think the republican party in general has become more liberal so democrats who are centrist might NOW be checking them out. I did a check list once on issues and the way I answered indicated I should vote democrat but I just can't agree on some less important issues. Anyway I tend to vote republican and have given a nod at times to the independents. I also gave a serious look at Obama but something seemed "off" so just couldn't go there!
A MORE liberal Republican Party??? Put it this way...Ronald Reagan is too moderate to compete for the GOP presidential nomination. The GOP has been taken over by uncompromising, simple, hateful, spiteful, hypocritical element. The only reason the GOP statesmen don't speak up, is they are afraid of losing their job and getting smeared by right wing media. You are flat out wrong in your assumption that the GOP has become more "liberal".

Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,169,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
First off, I do not see how your title ties in with your opinion piece. I do not know how one starts with a flawed sample of 4 or 5 or 10 or 20 people they know and extrapolate such a conclusion about the whole. Secondly, if these people voted for Obama, but are now “seeing the light”, then obviously (by their own admission....or your interpretation) they were voting in the darkness of ignorance to begin with, which does not sound very educated to me.

It sounds to me like you are projecting and reading what you want to read from your conversations with these so-called educated “black Americans”.
Nope wrong on all accounts. They voted for Obama like many because a change was needed. He represented Change Change Change...Hope Hope Hope. I almost fell for it myself. He is such an eloquent speaker, draws you in. But he could talk the talk he just didn't walk the walk and that is what I believe some (not all or most) are considering not voting for him again. He boosted the esteem of the African Americans in this country but i believe he has let them down because race is a bigger issue now then it was back when ol GW was in office. Black families call each other sell outs if they didn't vote for Obama. No other election has evoked that response IMO

Old 01-24-2012, 01:00 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Nope wrong on all accounts. They voted for Obama like many because a change was needed. He represented Change Change Change...Hope Hope Hope. I almost fell for it myself. He is such an eloquent speaker, draws you in. But he could talk the talk he just didn't walk the walk and that is what I believe some (not all or most) are considering not voting for him again. He boosted the esteem of the African Americans in this country but i believe he has let them down because race is a bigger issue now then it was back when ol GW was in office. Black families call each other sell outs if they didn't vote for Obama. No other election has evoked that response IMO
Give me a break! In 2004 88% of blacks voted for Kerry. In 2008 95% of blacks voted for Obama. In 2008, 7% more blacks voted for the Democrat and 3% more whites voted for the Republican. Your talking in sweeping generalizations and the difference is miniscule.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:19 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
The GOP has been taken over by uncompromising, simple, hateful, spiteful, hypocritical element. The only reason the GOP statesmen don't speak up, is they are afraid of losing their job and getting smeared by right wing media. You are flat out wrong in your assumption that the GOP has become more "liberal".
The Republican Party has, by necessity, been forced to recruit from among people who, like much of the Democrats' traditional clientele, are possessed of only a limited exposure to economics. It would be helpful if the works of men like the Friedmans (Milton and Thomas - not related to each other) found their way into our classrooms, but the NEA wouldn't like it.

The vast majority of these people aren't the haters the supposedly high-minded (pseudo-) liberals would love to stereotype and smear. They do, unfortunately, seem to "want it both ways" with regard to the immigration issue, but education will eventually address that, hopefully, with a sensible policy built more along the lines of Canada's. A substantial portion of them are, however, the people who keep small businesses running and understand how hard it is to get (and harder still to keep) responsible help when they can't match the wages and benefits in many of the better-organized and capital-intensive sectors, and some sort of cash transfer payment, more often Unemployment Compenstation than direct welfare, is relatively easy to get.

Seventy years ago, before the days of mechanized agriculture, my grandfather ran a small dairy. He also served as one of the local "Overseers of the Poor", and even in the depest depths of the Depression, he could offer useful, but very-unappealing work to the local ne'er do wells. He was out of the business within a couple of years when the Democrats came to power in 1936.

That, my friends, is how things work on the lower rungs of the post-industrial economy, and no politician can change it. But the emergence and/or growth of all sorts of activity within the service sector (with medicine, law, and accounting being among the most prominent) has created all sorts of new opportunities. And the hiring process has become almost completely color-blind.

Unfortunately, until one can fund his/her own retirement, you still have to go to work (not necessarily at 8 am, thank God, Jobs and Gates), four or five days a week.

Meanwhile, the more libertarian segment at the higher levels of the non-Democratic, not-necessarly-Republican parties continues to grow. It's color-blind too.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-24-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies