Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. mandate paid vacation / days off for all employees?
Yes 58 37.18%
No, keep it the way it is 94 60.26%
No opinion 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
One more reason America is better than most other countries.
Ehh....not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 12:03 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuma, AZ View Post
Most European and other industrial countries give its employee 3 - 6 weeks off + paid holidays, while the U.S. has no minimum law.
Perhaps you should consider relocating to Europe or some other industrial country. No one is forced to work for an employer whose policies are unacceptable to them. Why should government be further empowered to exercise yet another unconstitutional control when employees are free to choose their employers?

I have a suggestion for you; Cultivate the courage to determine your own destiny and refuse to accept employment that fails to meet your standards. Don't expect the rest of us that are actually willing to exercise our freedom of choice to willingly surrender more freedoms to an already overgrown government to spare you the inconvenience of accepting some personal responsibility for your own condition.

Last edited by outbacknv; 01-29-2012 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-29-2012, 12:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
If a state wants to require employers to give employees paid vacation time, I think they should be able to. However, I am against it in my state and am absolutely against the federal government requiring it.

If you don't like your job and the benefits it offers, you are free to find another one or become self-employed.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:35 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I don't think it's necessary.

It would be nice if there was a standard set by employers themselves that was considered "common" and other employers would mostly likely follow it to be up to date. Those who did more would be more desireable and those that did less might not attract the best workers.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,575,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuma, AZ View Post
Unlike all other industrial/western nations in the World - the United States does not mandate any employees getting any paid/unpaid days off from work. So it is up to every company to decide how many days or weeks an employee will get, if any at all.

Most European and other industrial countries give its employee 3 - 6 weeks off + paid holidays, while the U.S. has no minimum law.

Should the United States mandate companies giving paid time off/vacation days for all workers like all other industrial countries?
no you have to earn it! government has no reason to be involve in those matters!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't think it's necessary.

It would be nice if there was a standard set by employers themselves that was considered "common" and other employers would mostly likely follow it to be up to date. Those who did more would be more desireable and those that did less might not attract the best workers.
It is in white collar. Salary + benefits

Not so in the min wage world

Old 01-29-2012, 01:10 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
Right now the demand for employees is low and employers aren't offering much to aquire and keep employees. As the demand for quality employees increase again, so will the offering of additional benefits to retain them. I am self employed, so I don't take holidays or vacations. I even word Christmas. It's just another day.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Maybe some special provisions can be made for PT workers, but damn...after 15 years, there should be some sort of program for you to get some paid time off unless PT means you really don't work many hours to begin with.
Herbal Scrambled Eggs
I don't disagree.
Quote:
But i'm mostly talking about FT employees. No reason why they can't get 2 weeks paid vacation going gradually up to 3 or 4 after a year of steady work. Americans seem to find some virtue in working themselves to death. To hell with that.
Employment and the wages and perks, are something that should be discussed and agreed upon between the employer and employee. There is no reason that an employee cannot ask to re-negotiate that contract to include vacation time.
Quote:
We even have some nutjob idiot posters claiming that we need less holidays. Good for them, but leave mine alone. "Workaholic" will not be inscribed on my tombstone...
No comment.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
since most companies offer paid vacation and paid holidays already, why force them to offer it? all forcing some companies to give paid time off will do is hurt them, mostly small businesses.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times
Just what we need -- more government controls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies