Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"It makes me feel like a gringa," she said. "It's a bad feeling."
What is it about this statement that most of you people don't get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I find it very difficult to believe she cannot understand the language of the parents who raised her. It's just not possible, IMO.

I think she just wants an easy class.
She didn't say that she cannot understand the language of the parents who raised her. She said that she often responds to them in English, rather than Spanish. That suggests that her level of fluency in English exceeds her level of fluency in Spanish. And she wants to be more fluent in Spanish so that she can share a language with her parents. Language is an incredibly important part of our lives. To be fully fluent, to understand the nuances and shadings of meaning when talking with someone else only makes the communication richer and more productive.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What is it about this statement that most of you people don't get?
Feeling so different from your parents that you cannot respond to them in the language they are most comfortable with is supposed to be a good feeling?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:29 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
So she does not want to feel like a gringa (Americanized). Sometimes I don’t want to feel Americanized either and I am a natural citizen. I usually get these feelings when some schlock like AeroDC brings up the race/culture card.

It is a free country and this girl has the right to feel and express however she damn well pleases. That is called FREEDOM that you do not seem to understand.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:32 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't think anyone gives a rip about being called gringa, or gringo. Who cares.
I didn't think anyone cared what a 14 year old kid says. I guess some people have too much time on their hands.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:34 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't think anyone gives a rip about being called gringa, or gringo. Who cares.
She said, "it makes her feel gringa" all in the way you use it. If she was standing on Mexico's soil, then I would agree with you.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:35 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I didn't think anyone cared what a 14 year old kid says. I guess some people have too much time on their hands.

It's open season on teen-age girls lately.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
It seems some are awfully thin-skinned and allow their lives to be ruled by political correctness. And some others are looking for excuses to claim they wrere offended, so they can lash out at someene, and in this case it is a 14yo school kid. It's not a good thing.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Feeling so different from your parents that you cannot respond to them in the language they are most comfortable with is supposed to be a good feeling?
Your missing the point. Gringa=bad feeling-(feeling less than).

Old 01-31-2012, 12:39 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So she does not want to feel like a gringa (Americanized). Sometimes I don’t want to feel Americanized either and I am a natural citizen. I usually get these feelings when some schlock like AeroDC brings up the race/culture card.

It is a free country and this girl has the right to feel and express however she damn well pleases. That is called FREEDOM that you do not seem to understand.
You confuse Free Speech with Patritotism. Just because she says it, doesn't mean I agree with it, nor do I consider it a virtue to talk down towards the country that opened its doors to her family.

Any other hater's you fully support, Greg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies