Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,171,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Well, I doubt they were trying to take over; they were here looking for jobs and trying to keep from being cannon fodder in WWI. Survival, stuff like that.

I live in Tucson, and I have to say, I see little of the attitude displayed in that photo. Yes, this was originally Mexico, but Tucson is not hostile to Mexicans/Latinos, so they are not hostile in return. Not that it doesn't happen, and there is always a minority espousing an extreme view (especially situationally), but I don't see it as a regular thing here.
That's nice. You do understand it's not like that everywhere. I should know. I grew up in arizona. I still have cousins there.

This from a poll in 2008. Apparently some 43% of mexicans like the idea of succession. Tsk, tsk.

source
Quote:
Broken down by race, the highest percentage agreeing with the right to secede was among Hispanics (43%) and African-Americans (40%). Among white respondents, 17% said states or regions should have the right to peaceably secede.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,171,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
These groups are tools for the continued assault on American society that was once proud, moral, decent, and hard working, who built that great nation that everyone from around the world wanted to join.

Then, we had the liberal progressive movement, and no group ever assembled can match the progressives in their inane nature that enthusiastically embraces any cause or action that can be seen as self defeating or personally destructive.

They are literally like a pathogenic virus that kills the host even though that ultimately leads to their own demise.
You'll get no argument from me on this.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,533,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think this young girl was using "gringa" in a negative way. I think she was saying that when her Spanish-speaking parents talked to her in Spanish, and she responded in English, that it made her feel bad because it emphasized the differences between her parents and herself. She wants to be close to her parents, not growing away from them. So she's taking a class to perfect her Spanish and permit her to be closer to her parents.
Is the class funded by English speaking taxpayers who might not want to fund this?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,287,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
That's nice. You do understand it's not like that everywhere. I should know. I grew up in arizona. I still have cousins there.
blinks I believe that's what I said. It's not like that here. Or, at least, not that I've seen. I do see pride in Mexican culture, but I expect that.

Quote:
This from a poll in 2008. Apparently some 43% of mexicans like the idea of succession. Tsk, tsk.

source
Secession? Well, I doubt we'll let that happen. Though Rick Perry wanted Texas to secede, so the secession idiocy isn't limited to Mexicans/Mexican-Americans.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:25 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
I'm guessing your in-laws weren't busy claiming america for poland. Today's mexican immigrants are all about reconquista. Many, maybe most, aren't interested in "assimilating." I'm not sure I blame them. White liberal secular humanistic culture is something of a death cult. Their support for abortion has meant the death of some 50 million of our own children. Hense, 50 million immigrants most of them from mexico and central america. Imagine that.
Looks like these protesters and the OWS have things in common!! Their HomeLand, guess they don't know history!! Who the hell's teaching these kids.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:56 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You're kidding, right? Just the other day I was back in my small hometown in North Carolina and I counted seven Hispanics on one parking row at Wal-mart. Big deal...right? Wrong. When I grew up, I don't recall seeing seven Hispanics in that town in the entire first 18 years of my life.

The point? The point is that legal and illegal immigration has completely changed the fabric of this country. Literally millions of people moving in, not assimmilating, not contributing (Western Union baby!!), not doing anything but draining resources while putting our own people out of work.

It's a maze of a problem, no doubt, but lets not try to pretend that whatever idea of diversity you have your mind doesn't exist in the cracks and crevices of this country, including small towns all across this land.
You're being blatantly ignorant in saying these people are not attempting to assimilate. I doubt you actually talk to any of them and ask what they are doing, you make halfwit assumptions when you see a person speaking Spanish to another person. You're in no way qualified to make a judgment on someone else yet you do. That's the thing about people who know nothing, they think they know everything because there is no basis of knowledge for how little they know.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:15 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,480 times
Quote:
I'm guessing your in-laws weren't busy claiming america for poland. Today's mexican immigrants are all about reconquista. Many, maybe most, aren't interested in "assimilating." I'm not sure I blame them. White liberal secular humanistic culture is something of a death cult. Their support for abortion has meant the death of some 50 million of our own children. Hense, 50 million immigrants most of them from mexico and central america. Imagine that.
My retort to that "I am in my homeland" sign holder is...

Old 01-31-2012, 11:22 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
Should Americans have to learn to speak Spanish or should Mexicans have to learn English?
I'm thinking you need to improve your reading skills first, since the story clearly mentioned students from countries other than Mexico... LOL.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
This is true. I've told this before - my husband is a second generation American. His Polish grandparents barely spoke a few words of English (but understood it well enough), his parents speak both Polish and English, and he speaks English, but knows a few words of Polish. It works that way with most immigrant families, regardless of their native tongue.

I don't know why people get so het up about it.
I know, right? I come from a Polish and Russian (Jewish) background myself, and it was the same exact story... except that the first generation (my great-grandparents) primarily spoke Yiddish, my grandparents spoke/speak both Yiddish & English, and the subsequent generations speak English with a TINY bit of Yiddish. This goes for nearly every immigrant's families, but for some reason a special brand of hatred is reserved for our most recent wave. Actually, the same things were said 50-100+ years ago, in regards to those who came over from Europe, Asia, etc. How quickly we forget, and fail to learn from history.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
You're being blatantly ignorant in saying these people are not attempting to assimilate. I doubt you actually talk to any of them and ask what they are doing, you make halfwit assumptions when you see a person speaking Spanish to another person. You're in no way qualified to make a judgment on someone else yet you do. That's the thing about people who know nothing, they think they know everything because there is no basis of knowledge for how little they know.
Thank you. As somebody who works with this population every single day, it really infuriates me to hear people spreading these awful stereotypes. Just today I worked with one of my adult ESL learners, who's been coming EVERY week for almost six months, in an attempt to perfect his English... sad to say, he's now surpassed the level of many native-born Americans (particularly a few of those who post here). I also spent an hour working with our homework club, where the students are mostly/all from Spanish-speaking households, and again they are trying very hard to overcome this language barrier. I really wish these naysayers could shadow me at work for a day, and get a real taste of what's going on here - as most of what they claim is far from true, in fact it's quite the opposite with the majority of our immigrant residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies