Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Looks like these protesters and the OWS have things in common!! Their HomeLand, guess they don't know history!! Who the hell's teaching these kids.
Why don't you volunteer at a local school, library, or adult learning center... then check back here, and let us know your impressions.

I've worked in public schools, btw, and the teachers are doing their best with shrinking (from already pathetic) resources. The public just loves to whine and complain about our educational system, but how many actually DO anything about it? I mean, aside from sitting at a computer and furiously typing. You could also help with your dollars, by contributing to schools & literacy programs, or voting for any school/library bonds on the local ballots. Radical thoughts, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 12:45 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,231,184 times
People on here whine too much and are way too paranoid. Re-conquista? WTF are you people SMOKING?
Get over yourselves. Just because you lost your culture over the generations, don't hate on those who try to conserve it. Such haters. Go get Rosetta Stone and learn a new language, so you don't feel so jealous. What losers!

And all this crap about "they don't want to assimilate". Stop it already, please. That is such a tired argument. Just because someone doesn't speak English to your liking (heavy accent), doesn't make you the authority on who is working hard enough to "blend in". The same people who say that don't have the brain capacity to learn a new language themselves, but feel they can judge people who are trying to master a new language as adults. What a joke!

Old 02-01-2012, 02:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Isn't gringa a derogatory word?

This is encouraging non assimilation at our tax dollar expense.
Why come to the USA if you don't love American heritage & culture?
Of course it is, it's a racist slur word -- pretty much on the same level as the "n" word but it's an anti-white hate word so it's okay.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
People on here whine too much and are way too paranoid. Re-conquista? WTF are you people SMOKING?
Get over yourselves. Just because you lost your culture over the generations, don't hate on those who try to conserve it. Such haters. Go get Rosetta Stone and learn a new language, so you don't feel so jealous. What losers!

And all this crap about "they don't want to assimilate". Stop it already, please. That is such a tired argument. Just because someone doesn't speak English to your liking (heavy accent), doesn't make you the authority on who is working hard enough to "blend in". The same people who say that don't have the brain capacity to learn a new language themselves, but feel they can judge people who are trying to master a new language as adults. What a joke!
It's extremely intellectually lazy to never want to learn the language of a country you've decided to move to and have lived in more than a few months.

Yet you have these Spanish speakers who have lived here for 30 or 40 years who have never bothered to learn any English at all. Imagine living in Germany for 20 years and never learning as much as one sentence or phrase.

With all the would-be immigrants, we seem to be keeping the smart ones out and bringing in the least capable of learning. They do love the American dollar however.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:29 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Keep in mind that many didn't "come" to American by free will.

Also many were here before the european criminals came here.

Many others resent the USA for it's many wrongful doings around the world.. ie, Nagasaki, Hiroshima.. Iraq, "staging" of Pearl Harbor attacks, 9/11 etc..
Oh so actions taken nearly 70 years ago and conspiracy theories regarding 9/11 and Pearl Harbor justifies illegal immigration? I don't know what kind of crackpot universe you find yourself in but I think you need to stick with reality.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post

It's a joke to move to a nation and never bother to learn the language spoken there. If I moved to Mexico, I'd expect to have to learn Spanish to get around. If I move to another country I would at least bother to having a passing knowledge of the common tongue of the area. A lot of immigrants, especially illegal ones, come here and don't make any effort to learn American costumes, or the language spoken here.

If they want to "preserve their culture" they can do that in the country from whence their culture and themselves originate. Seriously, why would I move to Mexico and then try to "preserve" American culture? It wouldn't make sense would it?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Assimilate, assimilate, assimilate. You sound like the Borg.

It takes any immigrant group at least 3 generations to assimilate. It doesn't happen overnight. I have not met a person from Latin America who isn't at least bilingual, which is more than I can say for many Americans and British people for that matter. Americans and British people do such a wonderful job 'assimilating' when abroad.
Wrong. It does not take those who are truly motivated to learn the language and culture of this country 3 generations to assimilate. I've met Canadian immigrants who easily assimilated. I've met immigrants from Barbados who fit in very well and had no trouble at all adapting.

I've met Polish and Dutch and Chinese immigrants who spoke English -- with accents but they could handle any conversation in English. People from India certainly tend to speak English.

Yet I have neighbors who have been here for over 40 years and still cannot speak or understand English. It's incredible. They can expect everything be handed to them in Spanish so why bother making any effort to learn anything?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
She didn't say that she cannot understand the language of the parents who raised her. She said that she often responds to them in English, rather than Spanish. That suggests that her level of fluency in English exceeds her level of fluency in Spanish. And she wants to be more fluent in Spanish so that she can share a language with her parents. Language is an incredibly important part of our lives. To be fully fluent, to understand the nuances and shadings of meaning when talking with someone else only makes the communication richer and more productive.
And her parents are too stupid to learn any English even though they made the decision to move here permanently?

Yes, they sure do love our money and easy welfare handouts however. They learn those instantly.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:43 AM

98 posts, read 81,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeOhWell View Post
So you are saying if you moved to another country you would refuse to learn the culture and language because you don't want to lose your American culture?

Because learning the culture of another country would destroy the culture you know the best?
x2000

Old 02-01-2012, 04:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
[quote=vamos;22791481]For some odd reason, North Americans see the term as negative. However, after having spent decades living in Latin America, I don't think I ever heard anyone use that term to mean something derogatory. It just denotes that the person is from somewhere else (usually North America or Europe)....[/quote]

Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies