Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I know, right? I come from a Polish and Russian (Jewish) background myself, and it was the same exact story... except that the first generation (my great-grandparents) primarily spoke Yiddish, my grandparents spoke/speak both Yiddish & English, and the subsequent generations speak English with a TINY bit of Yiddish. This goes for nearly every immigrant's families, but for some reason a special brand of hatred is reserved for our most recent wave. Actually, the same things were said 50-100+ years ago, in regards to those who came over from Europe, Asia, etc. How quickly we forget, and fail to learn from history.
Most never even realize the struggles that the Irish had. The Irish have never been rocognzied as slaves in America, being brought here on the same boats as the blacks.

The best part, the Irish haven't asked to be recognized as victims or asking for special help.

They fought for this country and assimilated without any handouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 07:21 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Why don't you volunteer at a local school, library, or adult learning center... then check back here, and let us know your impressions.

I've worked in public schools, btw, and the teachers are doing their best with shrinking (from already pathetic) resources. The public just loves to whine and complain about our educational system, but how many actually DO anything about it? I mean, aside from sitting at a computer and furiously typing. You could also help with your dollars, by contributing to schools & literacy programs, or voting for any school/library bonds on the local ballots. Radical thoughts, I know.
How do you know we don't

[quote=Finn_Jarber;22797240]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
For some odd reason, North Americans see the term as negative. However, after having spent decades living in Latin America, I don't think I ever heard anyone use that term to mean something derogatory. It just denotes that the person is from somewhere else (usually North America or Europe)....[/quote]

Exactly.
When the meaning is looked up, it means "only white female", so do black females not speak English in America?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
[quote=Finn_Jarber;22797240]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
For some odd reason, North Americans see the term as negative. However, after having spent decades living in Latin America, I don't think I ever heard anyone use that term to mean something derogatory. It just denotes that the person is from somewhere else (usually North America or Europe)....[/quote]

Exactly.
Speaking English: "It makes me feel like a gringa," she said. "It's a bad feeling."

Absolutely no way when the term gringo is being used against Americans in their own country is not derogatory. Why else does this girl see it as a "bad feeling"? It's like those who try to explain away their use of the "n" word.

This family has raised this girl to love the American money but hate the American people, language and culture. She despises "gringos" so much she feels horrible speaking any English.

Maybe people living in Latin America use the word affectionately to refer to us but it's every much a hate slur word as any other racist slur word.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:32 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,171,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
blinks I believe that's what I said. It's not like that here. Or, at least, not that I've seen. I do see pride in Mexican culture, but I expect that.
So would I, that and many if not most, love for their country..........mexico.

Quote:
Secession? Well, I doubt we'll let that happen. Though Rick Perry wanted Texas to secede, so the secession idiocy isn't limited to Mexicans/Mexican-Americans.

Perhaps not but interestingly enough they are the greatest believers in the concept. Besides they do seem to be taking possession of at least four states even as we type. "We" as in you and I may no longer be in the cat birds seat when it comes right down to it. In the end it may simply be what "they" want.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:35 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,575,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Keep in mind that many didn't "come" to American by free will.

Also many were here before the european criminals came here.

Many others resent the USA for it's many wrongful doings around the world.. ie, Nagasaki, Hiroshima.. Iraq, "staging" of Pearl Harbor attacks, 9/11 etc..
well they are free to leave now if they so choose. the so called european criminals are long dead. lay of the europeans. whats done is done give it up already!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:39 AM

[quote=malamute;22798404]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Speaking English: "It makes me feel like a gringa," she said. "It's a bad feeling."

Absolutely no way when the term gringo is being used against Americans in their own country is not derogatory. Why else does this girl see it as a "bad feeling"? It's like those who try to explain away their use of the "n" word.

This family has raised this girl to love the American money but hate the American people, language and culture. She despises "gringos" so much she feels horrible speaking any English.

Maybe people living in Latin America use the word affectionately to refer to us but it's every much a hate slur word as any other racist slur word.
Just what "american people, language, and culture" would that be? Would that be White liberal secular humanists, blacks, gays, southerners, westerners, yankees, muslims, athiests, cubans, our drug subculture, my people, the ozark/appalachian subculture? 30 years of multiculturalism and the democratic party penchant for identity politics have pretty much buried that "american people junk." We're well past that.

Hell, if I just compared mexican/central american culture to white secular humanists I'm guessing I'd learn spanish too. At least they possess a functioning culture.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
well they are free to leave now if they so choose. the so called european criminals are long dead. lay of the europeans. whats done is done give it up already!!!!!!!!

Just why would a people leave a country they are busy occupying and on the verge of possessing?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Do you all have hispanic friends? I do. Most hispanic immigrants quickly learn english. Most of their children are bilingual and most of their grandkids speak english only.

It is massive hispanic immigration that gives the false impression hispanics are not assimilating.

The big problem is most of 'em vote Democratic. That is a good enough reason to deport them.
I am white and my wife is Hispanic, and sometimes uses 'gringa' and 'gringo' word, but since it is not an offensive word, it means nothing to me. Unfortunately some posters here like Rock Roma consider people like her a "disgusting puke".

Some people here have serious hate problems, and the others are just horribly think skinned and so easily offended that it is beyond conprehension. One poster called me mentally ill, because I am not offended by a word like gringo.

You people are so weak that it's making me ill.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:50 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,575,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Just why would a people leave a country they are busy occupying and on the verge of possessing?
I come from Mexico and if I resent this nation as some of these crazy gringa hating people well I would have left back to Mexico. I would have said thanks to my mother for bringing me here as a young boy, but now that I am grown I would go back to Mexico. that simple!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
Besides - the Spanish language is every bit as much a European language as English but these people are too dense and uneducated to even realize that.

And why don't they ever consider immigrating to another hispanic nation where their language is spoken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies