Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 08:39 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Keep in mind that many didn't "come" to American by free will.

Also many were here before the european criminals came here.

Many others resent the USA for it's many wrongful doings around the world.. ie, Nagasaki, Hiroshima.. Iraq, "staging" of Pearl Harbor attacks, 9/11 etc..
But on the other hand, nobody is forced to stay here. If anyone thinks there's a better place in the world to settle, they're perfectly free to leave. Nobody should have to stay in this country if they're that miserable here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I grew up in arizona. Gringo and gringa were and are perjoritives.
Maybe to you, because you never knew the meaning of the words. Heck, you still don't.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Isn't gringa a derogatory word?

This is encouraging non assimilation at our tax dollar expense.
Why come to the USA if you don't love American heritage & culture?
You have completely misrepresented the context in which the 14-year-old girl made the comment. First of all, she wasn't making a political statement -- you're the one who's turning it into a political matter, not her. And second of all, she's, uh, 14.

The context, in case anyone is interested, is that the girls parents communicate with her in Spanish -- their first language and the language that they naturally feel more comfortable speaking, because that is the language of their birth. She, however, responds to them in English, because having grown up here and - get this - having assimilated here (contrary to commonly-held repulblitard notions) that is the language she feels more comfortable (pretty much refuting a lot of the mindless and bigoted snips about 'them people not wantin' to learn our language).'

The reason this girl made the comment is because it makes her feel uncomfortable to not know the language of her parents. It makes her feel uncomfortable to be disconnected from her family's culture. So even if you have a bone to pick with her parents for not being native-like speakers of English (unrealistic by the way), the decent thing to do is to acknowledge that she's not a member of La Raza, she's a school girl who wants to be able to bridge a cultural gap that exists within her own family.

Last edited by chickenfriedbananas; 02-01-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 02-01-2012, 09:08 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe to you, and Mexicans, but only because in Mexico a white person is synonymous with American. If a white person is seen in latin america, they are labeled gringos, without anyone knowing their actual nationality. Down in Panama and Costa Rica there are whole towns full of American and European retirees, and they are all 'gringos'.
yes in latin American nations, white people are labeled gringos simply because they look like a white American. as in mexico also my grandma use to call my sister gringa because she looked very white. gringo is is only for white Americans. you have to understand that for many dacades latin American nations viewed the U.S. as an all white nation.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Of course it is, it's a racist slur word -- pretty much on the same level as the "n" word but it's an anti-white hate word so it's okay.
It's only a racist slur if you consider American to be a race. What race would that be?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
[quote=gysmo;22799057]
Quote:

sorry but gringo refrences white people of the U.S. nobody else!!!
It's being used quite a lot in context from Tourists that go down there. They call it gringo bingo. Americans are being stopped for made up crimes (mordida), new fees and regulations and even having properties claimed under some bizarre law they have now. Hence, I'm not playing "gringo bingo" anymore and have voted with my feet. No more for me.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's being used quite a lot in context from Tourists that go down there. They call it gringo bingo. Americans are being stopped for made up crimes (mordida), new fees and regulations and even having properties claimed under some bizarre law they have now. Hence, I'm not playing "gringo bingo" anymore and have voted with my feet. No more for me.
Never heard of that, and I don't know what country you are talking about, but I mentioned Panama and Costa Rica, and your comments are not true in those countries. I am also not talking about tourists, but US and European seniors who have relocated there permanently. There are tens of thousands of them there.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:25 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

They'd to figure out some way to make more money

How hypocritical of Mexico, we've have to welcome and feed their people, as they over charge American citizens and don't allow them to own any property there.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:26 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Never heard of that, and I don't know what country you are talking about, but I mentioned Panama and Costa Rica, and your comments are not true in those countries. I am also not talking about tourists, but US and European seniors who have relocated there permanently. There are tens of thousands of them there.
For the most part I was agreeing with you.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Maybe to you, and Mexicans, but only because in Mexico a white person is synonymous with American. If a white person is seen in latin america, they are labeled gringos, without anyone knowing their actual nationality. Down in Panama and Costa Rica there are whole towns full of American and European retirees, and they are all 'gringos'.
Yes, and that is just more racism they have. They act like black Americans aren't Americans.

And why don't black Americans retire in large numbers to those countries? Maybe because they're made to feel less than welcome?

And yes, they may not use the hate slur word "gringo" with blacks but if you knew Spanish, you'd know what gets said -- against both blacks and whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies