Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 05:09 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Isn't gringa a derogatory word?

This is encouraging non assimilation at our tax dollar expense.
Why come to the USA if you don't love American heritage & culture?
Hello...Latinos are part of the "American Heritage & Culture". Go back and study history.

Don't knock someone for preserving their culture and language.

What the hell is American culture anyway?

No, we are not all white and follow Anglo-Saxon customs. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 05:24 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Does "gringa" apply to all English speaking people?

The problem I feel, is with the parents, how do they except their children to be a part of America ,if they are refusing to do the most common thing in America, speak English.

Bingo, you win this post. Thanks for noticing this too. If people are going to live in this Country, then why not learn at least the basics of english. And when the women knows that she is pregnant, why not learn English, you can still speak your native language, but why not English, in the Country you now live in.
Save it, there are no excues why at all, why someone would not learn the langugage of the Country they live in. Nothing but being lazy as i see it.
Or having little or no respect for America, the Country you now live in.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:25 PM

606 posts, read 355,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I do hear that a lot. I'm talking about the kids whose Parents speak no English or so little they can't communicate. I keep hearing about how this "ripping apart families" drama will doom the kid since they don't speak Spanish yet their Parents speak barely any English. It's impossible to raise a family of two languages unless they are both bilingual. The lack of assimilation does nothing positive for anyone.
Yes, to say it "rips families apart" is a bit dramatic.

However, I'm not so sure both parties have to be bilingual to raise a bilingual family. My mom's English sucks. She has lived here for decades and has tried to speak, but never really got the hang of it. Her speech is rudimentary at best, and it's honestly not because she refused to learn or was too shy to speak. Obviously, she was forced to speak it outside the house, and never hesitated in trying to communicate with anyone in English. She just never really learned to speak it properly. Her English is full of errors - verb tenses, prepositions, etc.

However, she understands English completely. She watches t.v. and movies in English, and can totally understand when someone speaks in English to her.

So it's actually not that crazy that this girl's parents can't speak English and yet she can't speak Spanish well either.

This is not an assimilation issue, since she clearly speaks English already. This is about her wanting to retain a part of her heritage. If she can already speak English, then what's the problem?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:30 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times
It'a actually "Gringo"
It was a term that was used for Americans when the brave fighters at the Alamo sang "green grow the rushes o"
Not derogatory at all and if anyone thinks it is and it makes them feel bad, then they are very sad individuals.
English is the language of America because the early settlers who made the constitution were British. The language of America could quite easily have been Spanish or even French but it is English.
All Countries now have people living there who have a different language as their 'home" language as immigration is a common thing today but English is America's language and not sure why we have to be told this as if it is under threat or needs to be clarified...... maybe for votes.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post

However, I'm not so sure both parties have to be bilingual to raise a bilingual family. My mom's English sucks. She has lived here for decades and has tried to speak, but never really got the hang of it. Her speech is rudimentary at best, and it's honestly not because she refused to learn or was too shy to speak. Obviously, she was forced to speak it outside the house, and never hesitated in trying to communicate with anyone in English. She just never really learned to speak it properly. Her English is full of errors - verb tenses, prepositions, etc.

However, she understands English completely. She watches t.v. and movies in English, and can totally understand when someone speaks in English to her.

So it's actually not that crazy that this girl's parents can't speak English and yet she can't speak Spanish well either.

This is not an assimilation issue, since she clearly speaks English already. This is about her wanting to retain a part of her heritage. If she can already speak English, then what's the problem?

I can understand what your saying, and where your coming from, to a point. I taught myself Italian, from online sites, and tell ya if i can teach msyelf to speak Italian, from online sites, people can learn to speak English. And i speak my ancestors language pretty dang good. From online and people who have lived here all their life, cannot find it in themselves to learn English, do not buy it.

You tell me what is the problem with those retaining to speak their native language, but also learning English, in a Country they now live and breathe in.. Not one friggin thing.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, I guess the message here is that a good conservative and politically correct 14 year old should not use the word 'gringa', because it might hurt the feelings of a thin skinned republican white man. Is that pretty much it? Unbelievable.

So I guess the message here is that derogatory racial slurs from anyone who isn't white is OK in the eyes of liberals and they're fine with children being taught these things. That's not pretty much it. That is it. Unfortunately from the asinine rhetoric I see every day it is believable. I hate the fantasy PC world that liberals believe to be reality.

In four short years that disgusting little racist puke will have a vote.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:46 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:

Kudos to your mom!! At least she tries and understands the concept of speaking English and not expecting Americans to change for her. If I lived in Mexico, I'd learn Spanish, I wouldn't expect the citizens of Mexico, to cater to me.

My brother in law is married to a girl from Mexico and she has tried real hard to learn English, when I first meet her, I could hardly understand her broken English. She loves America and wants to be a part of it. When she's with her family members she speaks Spanish, around the rest of us we laugh and help her out with English, she's almost good at it.

It's no big deal, if your putting forth the effort.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:49 PM

606 posts, read 355,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I can understand what your saying, and where your coming from, to a point. I taught myself Italian, from online sites, and tell ya if i can teach msyelf to speak Italian, from online sites, people can learn to speak English. And i speak my ancestors language pretty dang good. From online and people who have lived here all their life, cannot find it in themselves to learn English, do not buy it.

You tell me what is the problem with those retaining to speak their native language, but also learning English, in a Country they now live and breathe in.. Not one friggin thing.

California Jewel, I'm not disagreeing. The girl already speaks English.

As for the parents, there were plenty of first generation European immigrants who came here, lived in ethnic enclaves, and barely spoke more than a few words of English. It doesn't mean that their children didn't learn English.

Immigration patterns have a lot to do with assimilation. First generation immigrants are a toss up. Some of them learn English quite well, and yet others never really get it. However, their children WILL learn it, and in most cases will end up preferring English.

I work with TONS Mexican-American teenagers whose parents speak little to no English. And lo and behold, the kids ALWAYS speak in English to each other. Spanish is heard very rarely among their own conversations, even though they could choose to speak in Spanish if they wished.

With time, immigrants assimilate. There are various waves of immigrants and people like to place them all in one block. A Mexican - American that immigrated to the US fifty years ago is going to look a lot different than a Mexican - American family that immigrated last year. As old immigrants assimilate, new ones come over, giving the impression that no immigrants are assimilating at all. This is where all the fear/outrage comes from, and it's false.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
So I guess the message here is that derogatory racial slurs from anyone who isn't white is OK in the eyes of liberals and they're fine with children being taught these things. That's not pretty much it. That is it. Unfortunately from the asinine rhetoric I see every day it is believable. I hate the fantasy PC world that liberals believe to be reality.

In four short years that disgusting little racist puke will have a vote.
Seems "gringa" is only for white females, guess their the only ones in America that speak English.

I've asked a couple of posters and seems it's just passed over.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
California Jewel, I'm not disagreeing. The girl already speaks English.

As for the parents, there were plenty of first generation European immigrants who came here, lived in ethnic enclaves, and barely spoke more than a few words of English. It doesn't mean that their children didn't learn English.

Immigration patterns have a lot to do with assimilation. First generation immigrants are a toss up. Some of them learn English quite well, and yet others never really get it. However, their children WILL learn it, and in most cases will end up preferring English.

I work with TONS Mexican-American teenagers whose parents speak little to no English. And lo and behold, the kids ALWAYS speak in English to each other. Spanish is heard very rarely among their own conversations, even though they could choose to speak in Spanish if they wished.

With time, immigrants assimilate. There are various waves of immigrants and people like to place them all in one block. A Mexican - American that immigrated to the US fifty years ago is going to look a lot different than a Mexican - American family that immigrated last year. As old immigrants assimilate, new ones come over, giving the impression that no immigrants are assimilating at all.
Was in the post office the other day and the mail lady said, 7 and 8 year olds come in and interpret for their parents all the time, some have no intention of learning the English language. Seems it's more Spanish speaking people who are refusing to learn the English language.

When my son was in school, 5th grade, he and a mexican child got into an argument, the mexican child called my son a "cracker", my son called him a "beaner." The child ran and told the teacher he was called a "beaner." My son got detention for the whole day. The reason the teacher and principal gave, was my son knew better and the mexican child didn't. Yeah right!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies