Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah & everyone tells the truth on internet boards.
Sure they do.

I'm always suspect of this type of thread.
Shows how some tpeople think that money is the be all and end all of everything.
Charity has little to do with money. Time and effort can be much more important.

I've done Habitat blitz on two homes, it is the ones that show up before and after the big day, when nobody is watching, that are the real heroes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
If you're going to dissect an analogy, at least get the analogous parts right.

Do you donate to the poor : Do you donate to the garbage collector

No I pay taxes that fund the service that take care of the poor : No I pay taxes that fund the service that takes care of garbage collection
My tax dollars don't pay for garbage pick-up.

My after and already-been-taxed dollars do. I even get to pick my own collection company!

All depends on where you live.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
The real question is who much time have you donated as community service?

For the GOP, they are always consumed with money.
Or, could be they have jobs that don't allow them much free time to dedicate to hands-on charity giving, so a check works too!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:53 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Not tax dollars. Real dollars straight from your wallet.

Do you walk the walk? Or is it like paying for every other noble idea that you champion ...........you expect it to be done with everyone else's money?

Tell us how you live up to your own ideals.
I don't like your question. It's clearly a smug question designed to get the result you want. You want to confirm your suspicions that we're all a bunch of tightfisted SOB's while you can pat yourself on the bat for being a good Christian right winger with his hands out to the poor. Who's being the pharisee here?

So just to tick you off, I'll give you exactly the answer that you don't want. It is all absolutely true.

1. I like to have extra cash on hand to give to people I may pass on the street. Probably not the best thing to do, but I'm a sucker for beggars (See Matthew Ch 25)
2. I tithe at my church, which supports mission and charity organizations around the world. My church is partnering with a church in Haiti.
3. I sponsor a little boy in Peru by giving a certain amount each month. I won't say how much because that would be unseemly.

Not that this response actually will matter anyway. You may commend me for a bit (which I don't care if you do or not). But you most likely will simply breeze past my post and continue with your assumptions that you are a better person than the average liberal, as you go about giving your alms to the poor. And you will think to yourself (in typical pharisee fashion): "Thank Goodness I give to the poor--unlike those liberals. I'm such a good person. I do my part. I wonder what they're doing?"

Not all conservatives believe what I'm about to say; There is a strong undercurrent of contempt for the poor within the American conservative movement. And no effort of back patting, and asking offensive questions like this to liberals--to make yourself feel better--will change that obvious fact.

Quote:
Start your own thread.

The fact that you don't want to state a dollar amount says to me that you're ashamed of that amount relative to the amount of biotching and moaning coming from you and others when it comes to castigating GOP attitudes towards the poor.

Got it.

Perhaps you should go and learn what this means: Care to respond to it?

Quote:
"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing" --Jesus, Gospel According to St. Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I have to say, some on the left, use the Bible to feed the poor, as they take God out of everything public, just how does that work??
Yes, and conservatives use the Bible to inscribe scripture on every public building, but couldn't care less about actually following Jesus' teachings.

Last edited by mackinac81; 02-03-2012 at 09:14 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 PM

994 posts, read 725,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Freedom does mean that you are free to succeed or fail but unless there is a level playing field it only applies today for those who are wealthy enough to be able to afford the "Freedom" of having Health Care, good education or even decent housing.
Unfortunately today in the USA, saying the word Freedom does not make it so, just like saying America is the land of the Free up to the 60's for Afro Americans didn't make it so either. To NOT be able to get medical treatment because of a pre condition or lack of money is NOT Freedom. To be classed as a American Citizen (puerto ricans) when it comes to fighting in the military for America YET not being allowed to vote in the general Election.... is NOT freedom. There are many examples today of so called freedoms in the USA that are only available to the wealthy and that does not mean that America is the land of the free.... no matter how many times you say it.
To say that we should NOT pay for someone who fails here seems to only apply to the less fortunate Americans and it is classed as Sociaism or "sponging" YET when the Govt uses our taxes to bail out the wealthy or the corporations then it's a "bailout"....... so rediculous!!!!!!!!
Class Warfare is in the USA because of the lack of real freedom and you are judged merely on your finances.... bit like when Americans were judged on the Color of their skin. Today's segregation isn't color but whether you can afford to pay the huge corporations, banks and health insurance companies there HUGE fees and premiums........... Freedom is for the wealthy only..... sad fact but oh so true!
I cannot dispute that some people start out with advantages that others don't have. That's a fact. However, that being said, even if the playing field isn't 100% level, the vast majority of people have a level enough playing field that they are perfectly capable of reaching a stable standard of living.

As far as bailing out the rich goes, plenty of Tea Party groups started over the bailouts. And the Tea Party is considered ultra conservative. Bailing out the wealthy is not a conservative idea. It is anti-free market. Crony Capitalism and Free Market Capitalism are not the same thing.

I disagree that class warfare is in the USA because of lack of freedom. I say class warfare is in the USA because people purposely stirred it up for political reasons.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:14 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I don't like your question. It's clearly a smug question designed to get the result you want. You want to confirm your suspicions that we're all a bunch of tightfisted SOB's while you can pat yourself on the bat for being a good Christian right winger with his hands out to the poor. Who's being the pharisee here?

So just to tick you off, I'll give you exactly the answer that you don't want. It is all absolutely true.

1. I like to have extra cash on hand to give to people I may pass on the street. Probably not the best thing to do, but I'm a sucker for beggars (See Matthew Ch 25)
2. I tithe at my church, which supports mission and charity organizations around the world. My church is partnering with a church in Haiti.
3. I sponsor a little boy in Peru by giving a certain amount each month. I won't say how much because that would be unseemly.

Not that this response actually will matter anyway. You may commend me for a bit (which I don't care if you do or not). But you most likely will simply breeze past my post and continue with your assumptions that you are a better person than the average liberal, as you go about giving your alms to the poor. And you will think to yourself (in typical pharisee fashion): "Thank Goodness I give to the poor--unlike those liberals. I'm such a good person. I do my part. I wonder what they're doing?"

Not all conservatives believe what I'm about to say; There is a strong undercurrent of contempt for the poor within the American conservative movement. And no effort of back patting, and asking offensive questions like this to liberals--to make yourself feel better--will change that obvious fact.

Perhaps you should go and learn what this means: Care to respond to it?

Yes, and conservatives use the Bible to inscribe scripture on every public building, but couldn't care less about actually following Jesus' teachings.
This thread is not about comparing me, or you, to Jesus. This thread is about asking you to tell us how you live up to your own ideals. If Liberals insist that rich people don't pay their fair share.... which is codespeak for wealth distribution....then it stands to reason that liberals should tell us what they're doing to distribute their own wealth, specifically to the poor, who you folks seem to believe are being shiit on by the rich. Wouldn't want you folks to be hypocritcal now would we?

Your contributions are nice. No one begrudges your kindness. But your deflection is noted, as are all other methods of deflection on this thread. It speaks volumes. None of ou like to be held to your own standard. And that's precisely what I expected to get out of this thread.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
This thread is not about comparing me, or you, to Jesus. This thread is about asking you to tell us how you live up to your own ideals. If Liberals insist that rich people don't pay their fair share.... which is codespeak for wealth distribution....then it stands to reason that liberals should tell us what they're doing to distribute their own wealth, specifically to the poor, who you folks seem to believe are being shiit on by the rich. Wouldn't want you folks to be hypocritcal now would we?

Your contributions are nice. No one begrudges your kindness. But your deflection is noted, as are all other methods of deflection on this thread. It speaks volumes. None of ou like to be held to your own standard. And that's precisely what I expected to get out of this thread.
"Speaks volumes". That's a favorite phrase of the RW. Also words like vile, despicable, etc.

I'll be dipped if I'll tell you what I do for the poor. You'll just have to take my word for it, which is as good as anything I, an anonymous poster, could say anyway. I do plenty. Happy? No, of course not. You want a dollar amount. You want an accounting of hours.

The "fraud" is people who start threads like this, and get innocent people to actually respond with how much they've spent, what they've done, etc. Who put AeroGuyDC in charge, anyway? Who is he to judge the rest of us. "Judge not, lest ye should be judged".

Old 02-04-2012, 04:37 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:

You will get what you choose to "expect to get" because you already have a predisposition to think of liberals as horrible people. And posts by me or any other liberal will not change your mind. That too, has been duly noted. Hence why this thread is simply rediculous. You never actually wanted to know what we do for the poor. You expected to get a certain result. I gave you an answer you didn't want and now you're complaining about how we're just as horrible people as you suspected when you started this thread.

Extremely disappointing. Having read some of your posts in the past, I can say you've done better than this.

You still didn't address Jesus' quote in my earlier post. I would really like you to comment on it. Do you agree or disagree with what he's saying there?

Old 02-04-2012, 05:52 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
You will get what you choose to "expect to get" because you already have a predisposition to think of liberals as horrible people. And posts by me or any other liberal will not change your mind. That too, has been duly noted. Hence why this thread is simply rediculous. You never actually wanted to know what we do for the poor. You expected to get a certain result. I gave you an answer you didn't want and now you're complaining about how we're just as horrible people as you suspected when you started this thread.

Extremely disappointing. Having read some of your posts in the past, I can say you've done better than this.

You still didn't address Jesus' quote in my earlier post. I would really like you to comment on it. Do you agree or disagree with what he's saying there?
I will have to say, the OP has commended those that did indeed relate their own charitable giving. Even offered to help one person. So, the OP did indeed give credit to those people.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:18 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Not tax dollars. Real dollars straight from your wallet.

Do you walk the walk? Or is it like paying for every other noble idea that you champion ...........you expect it to be done with everyone else's money?

Tell us how you live up to your own ideals.
I have been donating to financially strapped friends/family to the tune of at least a $1000/yr for the past 3 years. These 'donations' are not tax deductible. Have also made donations to traditional charitable orgs in amts of $50/$100 - about $800/yr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies