Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times

Advertisements

I give directly to the needy. I find it best to go directly to people in need like these:

http://www.americanlegionpost228.org/files/Veteran.jpg (broken link)

I am also the charter Vice President of the the Friends of group for our local county home. We raise as much as $10,000 a year to aid and comfort the home's 50 residents.

In early 2003, before my last back surgery, I aided Gunner Bletz's 2003 Rolling Thunder Cage Walk to DC. I pulled Gunner and his cage 23 miles thru our county, his cage spent the nite with us. Gunner is no longer with us, he felt the cops had no right to come in his home and take his weapon.

Where ever we stop while RV'ING we load up with ten singles to hand out to anyone who asks.

Good enough for you?

Last edited by buzzards27; 02-03-2012 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 06:23 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You claim to be a Christian; I thought I'd tell you what Christ had to say about making a show of one's charity. Now a lot of fundamentalist Christians don't know about those Bible verses; they're too busy protesting sex education, evolution, etc.

There is NO WAY I will tell you what I gave to charity. I agree, you would not ask a group of total strangers on the street these questions, then question their integrity when they tell you to MYOB. You will just have to believe me when I say it's a substantial amount, both in money and time.

Come again?
Those very same "people on the street" wouldnt ask me why I don't "pay my fair share" either. One big rant and rave with Presidential backing....and no substance. So your point is moot.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I give directly to the needy. I find it best to go directly to people in need like these:

I am also the charter Vice President of the the Friends of group for our local county home. We raise as much as $10,000 to aid and comfort the home's 50 residents.

In early 2003, before my last back surgery, I aided Gunner Bletz's 2003 Rolling Thunder Cage Walk to DC. I pulled Gunner and his cage 23 miles thru our county, his cage spent the nite with us. Gunner is no longer with us, he felt the cops had no right to come in his home and take his weapon.

Where ever we stop while RV'ING we load up with ten single to hand out to anyone who asks.

Good enough for you?
Very good! You have nothing to hide because you do indeed walk the walk!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Come again?
What don't you get?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Those very same "people on the street" wouldnt ask me why I don't "pay my fair share" either. One big rant and rave with Presidential backing....and no substance. So your point is moot.
No, my point is NOT moot. YOU are the OP. YOU started this thread in a hostile manner.

Quote:
Not tax dollars. Real dollars straight from your wallet.

Do you walk the walk? Or is it like paying for every other noble idea that you champion ...........you expect it to be done with everyone else's money?

Tell us how you live up to your own ideals.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Perchance you should get to know some poor people yourself.

I do know poor people. They're in my family. None of them are public assistance by choice, or because they're lazy. I've volunteered at soup kitchens and have talked to people there, many of them feel that taking public assistance of any type is demeaning.

I know several welfare mothers who'd love to get off Welfare, but aren't able to do so because they can't afford child care for while they're at work, or at school.

One woman I know works part time at Walmart, her husband was killed in Iraq during the first year there, her youngest has a rare medical condition that has $150/month in ongoing expenses for medications. She can't afford to move any where for a better job because she's so low paid that she can barely make ends meet. Her mother lives in a group home and can't watch the kids for her. She has to get assistance in the Winter to keep the heat on, and to keep food on the table for the three children. Clothing is gotten free from a local church. She has a Masters in Chemical Engineering, but got laid off when her job was outsourced and the economy took a dump. Her youngest son had a huge amount of medical bills right about that time that killed her savings.

I know of another gentleman who is blind due to exposure to Agent Orange during Vietnam. He lives on disability through the VA. He is on massive anti-depression medications because he's not able to work. Before going blind, his job was his identity, and he was very well paid for what he did. Unfortunately all that money has gone away over the years to pay off unexpected expenses.

I ask again, please post proof that "...most of the handouts are going to people that are only taking advantage don't really need them."
There are some that need the help and should get it, like the people with debilitating medical conditions you mention here. Aren't we all one car accident away from something like this ourselves? I have a disabled son myself and I understand.

Are you really so naive to believe that most of the people taking all 99 weeks of unemployment or using food stamps and other handouts really should be? Yes, I do know and have known, still do, people taking these, blaming the economy and doing nothing to try and change their situation. I have never know anyone now or in years past that took unemployment that didn't wait for it to run out before looking for a job. I have no proof to post, just what I know personally. I used to have a job working with people to help them get services. It was an eye opener. These people make me sick. I think it is why my sons services are cut more and more every time I turn around. The people that abuse the system are most of them. From what I see I believe that.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
It doesn't concern me in the least that you question me (or my net worth for that matter.) But i'll remind you that it's Liberal ideology fueled by Barack Obama's class warfare schtick that has everyone hyped up over providing for the poor. Indeed it is the LIberal Left who claim that we don't "pay our fair share." So, if you're prepared to make those accusations, its fair to ask you what YOU've done to pay your fair share.

You don't get to take your ball and go home this time. The silence and deflection is deafening, and paints the picture very clearly for us.
Again, YOU pay your fair share. I hope i'm clear about that.

We're talking about the wealthy.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:51 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Very good! You have nothing to hide because you do indeed walk the walk!
Gunner was a great guy, was a member of Marines B/1/9 or The Walking Dead. Bronze Star with a V and two purple heart. Beware it is a heroic story with a sad ending.

To those that posted to***Sheriff:Vietnam Vet shot by Deputies was legally defending his home. - AR15.Com Archive

Keep in mind I am not a vet and I may be tto the left of Obama....

POW Cage Walk... Mich-OH-PA MD-DC - Marine Corps Community for USMC Marine Veterans

Old 02-03-2012, 06:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I volunteer at least 300 hours a year between the food banks, interview coaching, the women's and children's shelter and more. I don't have a lot to give at this time, but I do set aside $500 a year to donate to a few different causes including Planned Parenthood, my local women's shelter and the food co op coalition in my area.

In addition, I've volunteered my time to fly underprivileged families to doctors appointments and hospitals through the company I work for. I also act as a patient liaison for people with rare lysosomal storage disorder to help them get the medication they need to survive. In addition to all that I'm actively involved in our county 4H cooperative extension program which donates thousands of dollars to local charities.

Is that enough for this liberal?
Yea....$500 will kill 2 babies!

Nicely done!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I give money and I give time, how much I give is None Of Your Business. Funny thing, you and your fellow righties, failed to mention how much You give.
Code for "I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't donate anything".

The forum is about you lefties.....all evidence points to the fact that we conservatives are much more generous that lefties.

2007....0b0mba had an income of $1.2 million....charitable giving....1%.

biden, another leftie who touts the religion of giving.....$342 one year on an income of $300,000.

They are considered great humanitarians.

mitt donates 15% ($3 MILLION) last year and is called a rotten cheapskate by the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies