Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Logic fails some people, huh? I'll explain - if we teach teens how to properly use condoms, the dropout rates might actually fall! Do you know the statistics on teen parents and their academic futures? I'd have to research the actual numbers, but I know a high percentage end up dropping out after the baby is born. So if you're really that concerned about these rates, I'd think you would applaud efforts to reduce teen pregnancies.
Anderson Cooper had three of the young women from MTV's "Teen Moms" as guests on his talk show the other day. They agreed that their sex education was lacking. In one case, the girl had taken her birth control sporadically, so it was infeffective. They hadn't even had much previous exposure to infants or care of them. Sex education in schools should be more than the biology of it, they should show the consequences of sexual activity as well, in all forms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 03:13 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Anderson Cooper had three of the young women from MTV's "Teen Moms" as guests on his talk show the other day. They agreed that their sex education was lacking. In one case, the girl had taken her birth control sporadically, so it was infeffective. They hadn't even had much previous exposure to infants or care of them. Sex education in schools should be more than the biology of it, they should show the consequences of sexual activity as well, in all forms.
I absolutely agree. I'm a faithful watcher of the series (Teen Mom & its counterparts), and remember them talking about that with Dr. Drew... another girl said her parents NEVER talked with her about birth control, and that her school also failed to properly educate them. Result? A baby at 16, and a life of "what ifs" and "I couldas." Of course babies are a blessing, but a blessing that's best left to mature adults - and since abstinence education is proven to be ineffective, sometimes actually worsening the situation, comprehensive safer sex education is a must IMO.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:33 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
I don't think the first school should allow what was going on there, and I think the second school should do away with the "drunk goggle" aspect completely. I wonder, in all this sex "education", if there's even the MENTION of waiting until you're committed with the person before having sex. Sure, include tips on safer sex. But I wonder if they say things like, "You shouldn't have sex with someone you don't want a child with, because no 'protection' is 100% effective, not to mention the emotional risks and aftermaths", because they should.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:40 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
And perhaps the High School should have passed on the Love Fest and concentrated on college prep course academics instead of drunken sex prep instruction.
That magnet high school has a greatschools rating of 7 out of 10. Pretty good, far better than some of the 3 out of 10 I found when I looked up some random high schools in TN, TX, OH etc.

Aren't conservatives all about local control over education? So why do they keep saying what this and that school should do? Maybe San Francisco schools know best what works for San Francisco students.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:44 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Currently there are hundreds of known "female" teachers who've had sex with their students, both male and female. That's within the past few years. Not as headline grabbing as the priest scandal was about ten to twenty years ago but still an alarming number.
I wonder where those numbers figure in with school attendance?

I mean, will kids be at school MORE if the chance of (gettin' some) 'edumacation' today is greater?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:20 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
That magnet high school has a greatschools rating of 7 out of 10. Pretty good, far better than some of the 3 out of 10 I found when I looked up some random high schools in TN, TX, OH etc.

Aren't conservatives all about local control over education? So why do they keep saying what this and that school should do? Maybe San Francisco schools know best what works for San Francisco students.
Hey, ya, good point....these conservatives who don't live in the area should really mind their own business....or do they want the Federal government to get bigger and control what schools do just to make them happy....

Old 02-17-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I agree! Another Really Stupid Meaningless Holiday makes people do stupid things like preach religion at a PUBLIC school...the cooky kid's parents are morons....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
If nobody ever sent you a Valentine, I guess it would be.
Are you using a general "you" and making no sense whatsoever?

Or are you in second grade?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:27 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
More stupid fake outrage.

Valentine's day is a contrived holiday. Get over it.

And getting your kid to proselytize...kudos to mom!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
More stupid fake outrage.

Valentine's day is a contrived holiday. Get over it.

And getting your kid to proselytize...kudos to mom!!!
Kudos to mom for teaching her kid to act inappropriately?

Kudos for putting Jesus on a cookie?

Kudos for confusing PUBLIC school with church???????

Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,751 times
Another thread bashing schools and teachers. Do some people spend hours searching the internet for these types of stories?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies