Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:07 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
This is the kind of sex education we give our teens. Safe if it's going to happen, but it's MUCH better not to let it happen!
Exactly. I don't consider it a full education unless more than one aspect of the subject is at very least MENTIONED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If you wonder so much, maybe you should ask somebody there instead of speculating? Based on the sex Ed my former students received (not from me personally), I would wager yes - they most likely DO mention those things as part of this program.
And where do you find me speculating? I hope you're right, because sometimes people tend to go from one extreme (such as abstinence-only "sex education") to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 06:11 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
You're right, you can't fix stupid...

and if you don't understand the difference between the STATE and a PRIVATE individual, then we both know that can't be fixed. IT was COOKIES for Kali's sake Not a bible, not Proselytizing!! Sheesh!

I suppose you believe that freedom of religion is supposed to be freedom FROM religion too, huh! ROFL!
Actually, in a public school it DOES mean freedom from religion - so ROFL to you too. Not that passing around cookies violates these laws, since it was coming from an individual student, but institutionally it absolutely means we should be free from religion. And while it's hard to know without hearing from the parents, I imagine they were fully aware of the implications this would have.

I am not offended by those cookies personally, and was raised in a (semi) religious Jewish home myself. Of course, my parents never sent me to school with "Baruch Ha'shem" cookies, since they actually understand that's not appropriate at a non-religious school... they also know that people have different beliefs, and raised us to respect that.

P.S. Giving cookies with Christian messages to non-Christians (if any were in her class) is the same as proselytizing. We were taught in Sunday School that giving
any Jewish message or prayer to a Gentile is discouraged, possibly even forbidden, since we don't believe in recruiting people.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-17-2012 at 06:57 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
And where do you find me speculating? I hope you're right, because sometimes people tend to go from one extreme (such as abstinence-only "sex education") to another.
Hard to read "tone" online sometimes, but the way you phrased it seemed like smug speculation... apologies if I was wrong.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
And perhaps the High School should have passed on the Love Fest and concentrated on college prep course academics instead of drunken sex prep instruction.
Quote:
College prep courses... HA! They only teach their own moral agendas and test prep now a days, not actual academics!
Again, this is one of the BEST schools in San Francisco (public or private), and a magnet school focusing on science and technology - so if they don't have high-level college prep courses, I'd be incredibly shocked.

For the love of Buddah, please do a little research before running your "mouths" about a school with which you are obviously not familiar... otherwise you just look very ignorant to those of us who ARE familiar with it.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
You know, if that child would've put "Allah Loves You" on the Valentine they probably would've never been confiscated.
How do you know that? I'm pretty sure if a kid passed out "Praise Allah" cookies at a public school, there would be quite a stink over that too!

Quote:
A couple of you mentioned the show "Teen Mom." I've watched it enough to figure out that it makes heroes out of these girls more than it does to discourage teen pregnancy. The girls on it are train-wrecks along with their boyfriends/ baby's fathers.
Wait, I'm confused... in one sentence you say the show makes them into heroes, while at the same time you say they're trainwrecks. So which is it?

Perhaps you should watch a few more episodes, because they most certainly do not glamorize teen pregnancy - quite the opposite, in fact. And while there's no proof this show is directly connected, studies have shown a DROP in teen pregnancies since it began airing. I think it's great for teens to see the true-life consequences of having a baby so young, and for them to have a chance to watch every struggle these teens experience as a result.

Quote:
Yes I agree the parents need to talk about the consequences of sex NOT the schools
Nice concept, but the problem is that many parents don't talk to their kids about sex, and/or don't provide accurate & comprehensive information. Even my liberal parents didn't really have the full "sex talk" with me, and the discussion of birth control went like this: I was around 15 and still a virgin, when we were watching the episode of Roseanne where Becky asks Jackie to take her to get BC pills. My mother turned to me and said, "If you ever need birth control, don't be afraid to ask... I won't be mad, but if you don't ask and wind up pregnant, we WILL have a major problem." That was it!

So you really can't rely on every parent to provide this education at home, which is why schools determined it was necessary to teach in a classroom setting. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with this, when it's been indisputably proven to have positive effects... and you can always opt out, so it's not even like this is forced upon any family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies