U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities, MN
779 posts, read 507,728 times
Reputation: 221

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Because he chose minorities he is a liberal? Many minorities are conservative. Other than his prescription drug bill and NCLB. I think he was mostly conservative.
Yeah, pick and choose. It doesn't fool me. Whenever someone is crying about stimulus funds and Obama, and then someone else points out that Bush actually started it, MANY righties come barking that "He was a LIBERAL!". Seen it countless times on this forum and others.

BTW, since Bush did SO MUCH for Condi and Colin, why are their political careers dead?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2012, 09:25 PM
 
31,370 posts, read 34,885,939 times
Reputation: 14958
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
It is not that the GOP suddenly got bigoted like the democrat party always was.
Actually the is precisely what happened over the last 40 some odd years.

Quote:
No, the GOP saw that the playing field was level, the way MLK Jr wanted it,
I think that you shouldn't misappropriate the name of Martin Luther King when you obviously are clueless about what he wrote, thought or stood for.

By the way, it such misappropriations and attempts to gloss over the recent history of the GOP that comes off as fake, fraudulent, and more than a bit patronizing and by doing so give new argument as to why African Americans need to stay clear of the Republican Party.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 PM
 
12,234 posts, read 12,388,270 times
Reputation: 10269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Actually the is precisely what happened over the last 40 some odd years.



I think that you shouldn't misappropriate the name of Martin Luther King when you obviously are clueless about what he wrote, thought or stood for.

By the way, it such misappropriations and attempts to gloss over the recent history of the GOP that comes off as fake, fraudulent, and more than a bit patronizing and by doing so give new argument as to why African Americans need to stay clear of the Republican Party.
I couldn't agree more. In fairness to current GOP, it is trying hard to disavow its recent racist past. I don't think there are many left in the party who hate people just because they're black. Now, they direct their hatred toward the poor, the gay and the Muslim. A middle class (or better yet upper class) black man is fine in their book, so long as he worships God in the appropriate manner, checks the right blocks at the ballot box, and doesn't have sex in a way they find unacceptable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 09:40 PM
 
31,370 posts, read 34,885,939 times
Reputation: 14958
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I don't think there are many left in the party who hate people just because they're black. Now, they direct their hatred toward the poor,
If it were just that simple since Republicans seem committed to making the poor synonymous with being black.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 09:52 PM
 
12,234 posts, read 12,388,270 times
Reputation: 10269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If it were just that simple since Republicans seem committed to making the poor synonymous with being black.
You're right. In the minds of many whites, not just Republican ones unfortunately, black is synonymous with poor. For this reason, the Republican hate-the-poor campaign often bleeds into a hate-the-blacks campaign. I think, however, for most of them -- it's the poor they hate. They genuinely like guys like Herman Cain.

When I was a kid, there were still plenty of white people around who freely told racist jokes and rarely missed an opportunity to point out the supposed inferiority of blacks. (Guess which party ALL of these people endorsed?) Today, I go months and months without running into a white like this. The very few I do meet don't have many teeth and are objects of abject pity. (I think even most blacks feel sorry for this type of very low-caste person.)

The current Republican meme goes something like this: whites and blacks are equal in all ways. However, unfortunately Democrats have constructed a modern day plantation system to enslave blacks and keep them in a state of perpetual poverty so they will continue to vote for the Democratic Party. Republicans want to help blacks out of servitude by dismantling the social safety net. (When I first heard this I nearly s*** myself. Can people be so stupid and so ignorant as to actually believe this crap? Sadly, I have learned ... yep.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Cape Coral
5,503 posts, read 6,804,478 times
Reputation: 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You're right. In the minds of many whites, not just Republican ones unfortunately, black is synonymous with poor. For this reason, the Republican hate-the-poor campaign often bleeds into a hate-the-blacks campaign. I think, however, for most of them -- it's the poor they hate. They genuinely like guys like Herman Cain.

When I was a kid, there were still plenty of white people around who freely told racist jokes and rarely missed an opportunity to point out the supposed inferiority of blacks. (Guess which party ALL of these people endorsed?) Today, I go months and months without running into a white like this. The very few I do meet don't have many teeth and are objects of abject pity. (I think even most blacks feel sorry for this type of very low-caste person.)

The current Republican meme goes something like this: whites and blacks are equal in all ways. However, unfortunately Democrats have constructed a modern day plantation system to enslave blacks and keep them in a state of perpetual poverty so they will continue to vote for the Democratic Party. Republicans want to help blacks out of servitude by dismantling the social safety net. (When I first heard this I nearly s*** myself. Can people be so stupid and so ignorant as to actually believe this crap? Sadly, I have learned ... yep.)
When I was a kid the people who told racist jokes all voted for the democrats. How stupid does that sound Cobb? That is how stupid you sound.
Why wouldn't anyone like Herman Cain as a successful businessman?
So you are saying that ONLY blacks need a safety net? How racist is that!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 PM
 
12,234 posts, read 12,388,270 times
Reputation: 10269
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
When I was a kid the people who told racist jokes all voted for the democrats. How stupid does that sound Cobb? That is how stupid you sound.
Why wouldn't anyone like Herman Cain as a successful businessman?
So you are saying that ONLY blacks need a safety net? How racist is that!
Depending on how old you are, I'd say you are probably right. As has been proven over and over ad nasuem in this thread, racists were Democrats up until 1960 or so. I grew up in the 80s. When I was a kid, Democrats didn't tell racist jokes. Republicans did. I also never said that only blacks need a social safety net. In my opinion, everyone does. That's why the Republican Party has little appeal for me. As for Herman Cain, I was simply trying to give your party the meager credit it is due in that it no longer hates black skin. These days, folks with black skin are ok so long as they worship in the perscribed way; have sex in the approved fashion; vote the party line in all matters as diverse as gun control, abortion, and taxes; and have plenty of change in their pocket
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities, MN
779 posts, read 507,728 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
When I was a kid the people who told racist jokes all voted for the democrats. How stupid does that sound Cobb? That is how stupid you sound.
Why wouldn't anyone like Herman Cain as a successful businessman?
So you are saying that ONLY blacks need a safety net? How racist is that!
Hey, if you were exposed to Dixiecrats, then possibly you're telling the truth (though I doubt it). Sadly for you, the Dixiecrats are long gone.

Neither of the two major parties are currently what they were in the past. I know-- it's a tough concept to absorb for people who have their heads stuck in the partisan ostrich-hole, which prevents them from waking up from their Rumpelstiltskin naps...

Can you spin gold as well as you spin a story?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
14,371 posts, read 9,105,628 times
Reputation: 6651
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I couldn't agree more. In fairness to current GOP, it is trying hard to disavow its recent racist past. I don't think there are many left in the party who hate people just because they're black. Now, they direct their hatred toward the poor, the gay and the Muslim. A middle class (or better yet upper class) black man is fine in their book, so long as he worships God in the appropriate manner, checks the right blocks at the ballot box, and doesn't have sex in a way they find unacceptable.
Unlike the Democrats who direct their hate towards the rich, even though they are wealthier and spend more by 1.5x to buy votes. Poor? I'd say the best way to not be poor is to do something about it, not rely on someone else to do it for you.

Muslims? As opposed to hating Christians? There's plently of that going down wouldn't you say?

Gay? We don't have any problem with gays. We'll keep our marriage under God and you keep your civil union under Dave, and we'll be just fine. But, that's not good enough as they continually chisel at our beliefs, not the other way around. If you keep calling a dog a cat sooner or later everyone will believe it's a cat. I'm sure at some point science will prove there's a bestiality or pedophile gene, making those actions acceptable as well. Far be it from anyone to have a conscience for their actions, when they can replace it with fraud science.

I'm pretty sure you just hate Christians and spell it GOP. Just the fact that you'd agree with anything ovocatto spews bares that out. I'm certain you could agree a little more if you really try hard.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,084 posts, read 19,235,230 times
Reputation: 10325
Well, it's fortunate for the Democrats and the Republicans that I am not interested in what they've done for me.

[the less either does 'for' me the better]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:15 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top