Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times

Advertisements

All we need to do now is repeal the regulations standing in the way of industry and once again see the rise of the West.

1833 Factory Act | The National Archives
  • No child workers under nine years of age
  • Employers must have an age certificate for their child workers
  • Children of 9-13 years to work no more than nine hours a day
  • Children of 13-18 years to work no more than 12 hours a day
  • Children are not to work at night
  • Two hours schooling each day for children
  • Four factory inspectors appointed to enforce the law.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 09:14 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,296 times
Are any posters in this thread actually attending college right now?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Sounds right to me.

Looking at the page after page of liberals slamming Santorum, what comes to mind is Shakespeare's "the lady doth protest too much, methinks"
You have to admit that Santorum's statements on this matter are off the wall. Claiming that Obama wants to send kids to school that the devil has infiltrated so he can indoctrinate them to secular views is outlandish to say the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
I mean look at the Arizona law saying don't bring politics into the classroom. Who opposed that? liberals. The law didn't specify any particular politics. The law was entirely neutral. What's not to like about objectivity in education? So why wasn't support bipartisan?
The Arizona law forbids any controversial subjects from being brought into the classroom. I always was a believer that the best education is the one that challenges you. At one point in time the heliocentric theory was controversial. If you want to limit education to only what is politically correct, then you will stifle advancements in all fields.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,228 times
Aren't are kids already being indoctrinated in the public schools now? I swear we have a dystopian outlook witht he way the liberals are brainwashing kids these days. Not to mention, public schools continually underperform and private schools teach children much better.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:21 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Good thing that Santorum stayed out of college. I'm sure he kept his kids out of college too. It would be blasphemy for him to push for education when it is technically "indoctrination". Save your kids too! Get them out of schools and colleges. Only THAT will do America good.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 AM

32,076 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Aren't are kids already being indoctrinated in the public schools now? I swear we have a dystopian outlook witht he way the liberals are brainwashing kids these days. Not to mention, public schools continually underperform and private schools teach children much better.
You can't make a blanket statement like that. You should base it on individual schools. Not all private schools are better. A friend of mine moved her daughter from a private school to the public school and you wouldn't believe how far behind she is. She has hired a tutor to help her daughter catch up.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Good thing that Santorum stayed out of college. I'm sure he kept his kids out of college too. It would be blasphemy for him to push for education when it is technically "indoctrination". Save your kids too! Get them out of schools and colleges. Only THAT will do America good.
Actually it would do America good but not for the reasons Santorum states. Too many people have college degrees now so they are worth less than a high school diploma was just a few years ago. Think about this. $50,000 worth of debt only to end up working retail or waiting tables? Not a good investment!

This is the young, educated male's recession which ironically is the demographic most supportive of Obama. More people with college degrees isn't going to fix this problem it's actually going to make it worse.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Actually it would do America good but not for the reasons Santorum states. Too many people have college degrees now so they are worth less than a high school diploma was just a few years ago. Think about this. $50,000 worth of debt only to end up working retail or waiting tables? Not a good investment!

This is the young, educated male's recession which ironically is the demographic most supportive of Obama. More people with college degrees isn't going to fix this problem it's actually going to make it worse.
And if America doesn't care, China and India and western Europe will... that is where the educated talent will be acquired from whereas Americans will be relegated to old fashioned jobs. But that makes for a whole different thread.

In this case, we're supposed to stick with the Santorum of an idea on college education being about indoctrination.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:26 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
stay crazy rick

"Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum said Thursday that President Obama wants more young adults to go to college so they can undergo "indoctrination" to a secular world view."

Santorum: Obama wants to 'indoctrinate' students by boosting college enrollment - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Wow, this guy is all kinds of crazy.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:19 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,983,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
stay crazy rick

"Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum said Thursday that President Obama wants more young adults to go to college so they can undergo "indoctrination" to a secular world view."

Santorum: Obama wants to 'indoctrinate' students by boosting college enrollment - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Modern McCarthyism?

I just learned of the concept of 'McCarthyism', named after Joseph McCarthy, a former senator from Wisconsin, the man who made the allegations that Soviet communists were attempting and/or infiltrating and influencing America. I don't doubt that much. If the goal was spreading communism and domination, this is perfectly plausible. It's admirable to have somebody stand up and sound a warning. I haven't dove into the concept any further, but what I've written is what I think from what I know.

I found the concept of McCarthyism when reading a NY Times article about Santorum suggesting the left is using college for purposes of indocrination ("blue scare" VS "red scare"). It's interesting to think about and seems plausible enough, and Santorum certainly didn't invent this idea. Obviously, college is not all evil, as it trains individuals to serve in all sorts of professions necessary to a society and educates individuals in the pursuit of their intellectual interests, but is it at all indoctrinating? Is there any truth to such a suggestion? Possibly. Was it originally by design? Maybe not. Is it something that's happened naturally and is now being taken advantage of, possibly.

Some self-identified liberals accuse Republicans and conservatives of being against college for everybody, deeming it unncessary, as a means to keep the population (masses) as least educated as possible to maintain control and influence. If this is true, the opposite must be true as well. If the same liberals that buy into this conspiracy theory believe left-wing ideology is the best direction for our country to go, then they should want as many folks to go to college as possible, to get more and more people out of the grip of Republican and conservative influence that is often said to be against the common person's best interests, since they obviously believe a college education will help them see the light and things for how they really are - in other words, move left. That's all find and dandy for those who deeply believe left is the right way for our country to move, but what if they are wrong? What if the left got their way and our country rapidly moved to the left and we were in worse shape than ever? The well-being of the common person is tied most directly to prosperity, in my opinion. Jobs, jobs, jobs. Whose to say if our country moved similarly to the right, we wouldn't see those jobs en masse?

Does everybody really need a college education? Honestly, I think we should be working on reforming our primary and secondary education system, so that a high school education provides and is proof that every student who graduates has a basic education and competency, is 'educated', valueable to employers, and ultimately ready to work and provided skills in a chosen area of expertise - if they choose not to go on to college. Technical and trade schools as well as community colleges should be in the mix too. Not everybody needs a 4-year degree, even if they do take part in college-level programs. The problem is HS has been dumbed down and devalued so that students can be artificially graduated, even though they didn't really have what it takes (or should take) to do so, thus the HS diploma is devalued. I'm not sure, but I suspect left-wing ideas are responsible for this, in the name of graduating people who were lagging. But what good does graduating do those who were lagging when the bar has simply been set lower? It doesn't do them any good at all, and it ruins the credential for those who truly deserve it. Now, it seems some folks want to do the same thing to a 4-year degree that's been done to the HS diploma. Where does it stop?

Anyway, this is the first article I read:

Rick Santorum: Left uses college for "indoctrination" - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Then I read this Santorum rebuttal in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/opinion/sunday/college-doesnt-make-you-liberal.html?_r=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies