Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 11:03 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well the kids will only be 5 years old so I don't know what they would have learned. The moms, I don't know. What do you think they should do or what do you think we should make them do? I'm not being snarky, just curious. What does a low income mother do when she has a baby to look after?
I was referring to the moms. I think they should be required to go enroll and COMPLETE a vocational or degree program. They get free daycare. They get free financial aid. Use it and go get something to make yourself more employable. What's gonna happen after your kid turns five and you still have no skills?

They qualify for WIC because they are low income. The reason most are low income is because they don't work. IF the reason you don't work is because you dropped out of high school and don't know how to do anything, the government buying you milk and bread and having you clean a park is unlikely to help you get a diploma/ged or learn a skill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well the kids will only be 5 years old so I don't know what they would have learned. The moms, I don't know. What do you think they should do or what do you think we should make them do? I'm not being snarky, just curious. What does a low income mother do when she has a baby to look after?
Early on would be tough 3 or 4 months but most states have state run daycare that don't charge mothers in this situation.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:29 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If A Family Requires WIC Assistance, Then They Shouldn't Have Children. Period.
Not sure if anyone pointed this out, but only families with children qualify for WIC.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:34 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
natalayjones "Work where".

LOL! Same as anyone else, apply until you are hired. No one graduates into a JOB. It does not land at their feet. They SEEK it.
Yes, and tell the millions of unemployed SEEKERS how easy it is to find those jobs right now.

I have a Master's Degree from a good university, along with 5+ years of experience in a very specialized field... and it took me 6 months to find a job after getting laid off in 2010, despite applying for everything relevant on the entire West Coast. When I finally did find a job it was 90+ miles away, and ended up costing me thousands in relocation costs - which many people are simply unable to swing. So if took me that long to find something even 90 miles away, I can only imagine how difficult it is for a less educated and/or experienced person with no marketable skills. Have you been asleep or simply in denial for the last decade?

Quote:
While on the dole, I'd like to see people cleaning parks in return for food. Or like work on public property.
Nice idea, but logistically complicated and expensive... probably even more expensive than welfare itself, as you'd have to provide training, supervision and childcare for these folks. Not to mention, how are they supposed to be job-seeking while you have them doing slave labor? Or do you want them to be "on the dole" forever?

Furthermore, wouldn't that be taking away jobs from hardworking city employees? I don't know how things are where you live, but around here we have public employees who do those jobs... and if we started giving them to everyone on welfare/WIC, that would undoubtedly lead to many layoffs as a result. Why pay somebody to do what desperate people will do for free??

Old 02-26-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Not sure if anyone pointed this out, but only families with children qualify for WIC.

Yeah, I thought that was too obvious to even mention... but I guess some people fail to see even the most obvious of fallacies, huh?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Early on would be tough 3 or 4 months but most states have state run daycare that don't charge mothers in this situation.
And who pays for that state-run daycare and its employees? I'll answer that for you - the STATE. In other words the taxpayers, some of whom are already upset about giving food to children. I guess we can't win either way, and personally I'd rather give them food than free daycare.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
They qualify for WIC because they are low income. The reason most are low income is because they don't work.
I'd have to research the numbers, but I know for a fact that MANY people who receive WIC are working poor... one of my friends used to get WIC, and she worked full-time at a grocery store making well above minimum wage. Around here it doesn't take much to fall under the poverty line, considering average rents are $1200+ and median home prices are over $800K. That friend was eventually forced to move to another state, and was only able to do so because of family members who assisted in her relocation (she moved to where they live - Idaho).

Old 02-26-2012, 11:49 PM

14,783 posts, read 8,115,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Your name is fitting
Your name is fitting also.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Your name is fitting also.

Thank you

Old 02-26-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It wouldnt' be called PERSONAL responsibility if it were legislated! When can we expect you to hold PEOPLE accountable for their OWN actions? Why does it have to be legislated?
Uhhh, maybe because you can't force people to do what you want? We could assume people would hold themselves personally accountable on the road, and do away with speed limits - but I think we all know that would have tragic results.

Look, I'm not generally for legislating personal responsibility, and it seems you aren't either... but unlike you, I've actually offered some reasonable approaches to the situation, by supporting services/laws that are proven to reduce birth rates. What have you suggested, other than making children starve to teach their parents a lesson AFTER the fact? Are you planning to simply go around and personally admonish everyone, wagging your finger at them and saying "don't have kids??" Yeah, I'm sure that would be very effective - LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies