Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,170,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Check out the Bible Belt, were abstinence only programs are often the only form of sex education some kids have.

It's also very, very hard for people to get the Pill b/c that requires a trip to the doctor, something many people can't afford. Of course, they could go to Planned Parenthood, but many conservatives would like to see these places shut down b/c they call them "abortion mills" even though most people go there for BC, family planning help, and exams (and of course, you have a few crazies that will bomb a PP. Not sure I'd want to go to PP is there's a risk of violence or if I have to go through a gauntlet of people calling me a "baby killer" even if I'm just there to get the Pill).

Oh, and let's not forget all these "personhood" bills trying to be passed by the looniest of the conservatives that WOULD make contraceptives illegal.

Limit people's access to proper, all encompassing sex education, limit their access to affordable, easy to acquire birth control, limit their access to the Morning After pill in case something goes wrong, limit their access to abortion, limit their access to government aid that exist to help pregnant women and their children get the best nutrition possible, and watch the horrific results build up.
Your entire post is full of false qualifiers.

1) The Bible Belt "where abstinence only programs are often the only form of sex education some kids have." Rhetoric that you can't substantiate.

2) Hard to get the Pill because of an unaffordable doctors visit....followed up by the Planned Parenthood options that "many conservatives would like to shut down..."

3) "Personhood bills"....but no proof whatsoever that conservatives "would make contraceptives illegal."

Please, try again with facts instead of some form of hyperbole and media-driven false outrage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
WIC
Women (pregnant or mothers)

Infants

Children

These are women who are already pregnant (there is nothing saying that these pregnancies were planned) or existing children that need nutritional/food assistance.

Unless you are promoting abortion (which you would NEVER advocate), or sterilizing the poorer members of our society, I'm not sure what actions you want taken.
That's exactly the point. DON'T get pregnant if you will require WIC to feed your child!

It's called personal responsibility on the front end.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,856,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Per the LOL at the bolded area: Just a point that pertains to the thread. You have your experience- living in a terribly poor area; maybe you don't know as many people in various situations as I do. Whatever the case, the thread made some good points......
LOL again. I know people who run the gamut from poverty (12K or less per year) to people who make 6 figures. I make a very good wages and don't want for anything, my husband also makes good wages and our salaries combined are well above the median income in this country. We live where we live due to proximity to employment also that we are not bothered by poor people and don't think of them as any less than someone who makes more money. Money does not make a person IMO.

But regardless it is funny to me because I know that unless someone has 12-14 kids, they are NOT going to get 2K per month in foodstamps. I work in housing, elderly public housing to be specific and the majority of our residents get foodstamps and for one person it is around $150 per month. You would have to have 14 people in your family to even get near to $2k, so that ludicrous amount of $2K for foodstamps is hilarious to me being that the majority of families in this country have 2 kids, even single mothers on assistance.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,949,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's exactly the point. DON'T get pregnant if you will require WIC to feed your child!

It's called personal responsibility on the front end.
I would think the majority didn't PLAN on getting pregnant when they were so impoverished. So are you really saying that poor people shouldn't have sex? And if so, is your advice simply an admonishment that most people will ignore, or are you advocating for a way to stop poor people from having sex?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 AM

665 posts, read 1,245,411 times
I think we should put a lifetime cap on benefeits

Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,223,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Not sure if anyone pointed this out, but only families with children qualify for WIC.

Why are families with children applying for WIC? Isn't that fraud? Perhaps O'Keiffe should do an expose on the abuse of a well intended program.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I would think the majority didn't PLAN on getting pregnant when they were so impoverished. So are you really saying that poor people shouldn't have sex? And if so, is your advice simply an admonishment that most people will ignore, or are you advocating for a way to stop poor people from having sex?
I'm saying that the poor should approach sex in a manner responsibile enough that will PREVENT pregancy if they don't have the means to put food in that childs mouth.

In other words, put personal responsibility in front of sexual desire! Use Planned Parenthood (Planned!!!!!) and every other available resource before being an irresponsible person and bringing a child into the world that you can't feed!

How hard is that?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM

168 posts, read 143,176 times
Quote:
The principle of the issue completely lost on you isn't it? We're not talking about CHILDREN. We're talking about PERSONAL IRRESPONSIBILITY.

Obtustity doesn't bode well for liberalism. Try harder.

My mother worked as an RN and my step father in construction, yet still had to have WIC to afford food for me and my brother. We lived in a house owned by my step father's parents, so the rent was low. But I guess they're irresponsible because they can't get higher paying jobs?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:48 AM

168 posts, read 143,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Why are families with children applying for WIC? Isn't that fraud? Perhaps O'Keiffe should do an expose on the abuse of a well intended program.
You mean without?

Women, Infants,and Children

Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM

30,429 posts, read 52,056,515 times
Quote:
I'm saying that the poor should approach sex in a manner responsibile enough that will PREVENT pregancy if they don't have the means to put food in that childs mouth.

In other words, put personal responsibility in front of sexual desire! Use Planned Parenthood (Planned!!!!!) and every other available resource before being an irresponsible person and bringing a child into the world that you can't feed!

How hard is that?
Apparently it's VERY hard, judging by the number of unplanned (or poorly planned) children being born every day... so again, how do you plan to enforce such a concept? How do we force personal responsibility - not to mention fail proof birth control - upon these folks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies