Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 04:27 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
All she needs is a prescription and $9/month, right?

Surely, as a law student paying around $65K a year in tuition, she can afford that, right?
WHO are you to decide what other people can or can't afford???

And, being a rightists you totally missed the point...she should get what she pays for with her insurance premiums and the Catholic church has NO right to say, " we won't allow our health Insurance carrier to cover the health care of certain individuals".

That's sex discrimination and that is against the law which, of course, rightists don't care about...

Old 03-05-2012, 04:32 PM

416 posts, read 637,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Like many Limbaugh fans, I've been listening for about 25 years now. I still remember the exact circumstance when I first heard his show. All I could say was, "wow, who IS this guy?" I soon found out.
i'd call myself a moderate. At best RL is in it for the profit end of story. At worse, he misleads routinely through not supplying a complete picture.

Quote:
Nonetheless I must conclude that indeed, Limbaugh was in the wrong in this recent controversy. Forget that the media will never hold the Bill Mahers accountable for much viler, cruder comments made about Palin. Forget left-wingers hairsplitting sophistry, such as the claim that Maher is somehow 'deeeefeeerrent,' or that it's ok to call Palin a "c**t;" that's deeefeeerrent, too. The left and MSM lie and shovel fertilizer? That's nothing new, and barely worth bringing up.
therein lies a different issue. Mahers puts himself out there as a comedian doing a news routine, not the other way around. And Palin forgot an important rule - those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Mahers should apologize though. No one deserves the debasing words he used(es) at times.

Quote:
No, Limbaugh was wrong here. To refer to this 30-yr-old law student as a "s**t" or "prostitute was wrong. What is a s**t? Merriam Webster, my favorite dictionary, defines it as a "saucy woman." Nothing wrong with that. And prostitutes, I've known many of them in my time. Most are just in tough situations, trying to make a buck to survive. I've known several that did it to avoid going on the government dole. I've never known one who attempted to force others to pay for her contraceptives.

Sandra Fluke's demand of making someone else pay, non-voluntarily, for something that she wanted, is in essence is a form of thievery. So this was an insult to s**s and prostitutes everywhere. Rush, you were wrong, and you were right to apologize.

Now time to move on.

Ah the typical backhanded discussion of having it both ways? Very interesting. what costs more: contraception, pregnancy?

If you had stood upon the argument that Fluke chose to attend a religious institution and is then a hypocrite for attacking said religious institution, I would say "nice comment". It was Fluke's choice to go to a religious schoool and she should have been cognizant of the fact(s) that most religions frown upon contraception so why would they carry insurance programs that carry.

personal choice. fluke chose, live with your decision.

OTOH I think the vast and massive disparity in insurance choices is a problem in our healthcare. Drives costs up and makes our business, products and goods less competitive in a global market-place. but thats a whole different discussion

Old 03-05-2012, 04:38 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The list is up to nine, last I saw. Yes the free market is the only proper way to decide ones fate, and whether good or bad, that is always true.

If the show survives, its going to have to be with a much smaller footprint, as these were major advertisers, and any foolish enough to replace them would be able to get "foreclosure rates".
I think it is 11 or 12 now.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:38 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,721,841 times
I have to laugh at people who are making Limbaugh a First Amendment martyr. This is only an issue for Limbaugh because his advertisers are ditching him - that's not censorship, that's capitalism.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:43 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,942,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
All she needs is a prescription and $9/month, right?

Surely, as a law student paying around $65K a year in tuition, she can afford that, right?
If it's covered and the policies prescription costs are that price.

Ever hear of student loans?

She wasn't speaking for herself only she was speaking for a group of people. I don't think it should be free but at least covered in a plan. The pill would cost Health Insurance companies less than the cost of having a child in the first place.

I do however think that the Catholic Church should make the same changes it made when it came to condoms saying it was okay as long as for the prevention of spreading Aids and disease. If it's medically necessary a provision should be made IMO. If they are doing their jobs (the church) people will be honest about it.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:45 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
No, it is hyperbole from a long-time passionately conservative radio shock jock entertainer. People like him and Howard Stern do this. That is what they do. He's not really accusing her of being a prostitute,
Both are known to use hyperbole, this was not one of those times. He really did mean what he said. He went on to offer an explanation and justification in detail.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:55 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Palin was a public figure and thrust herself and her family into the spotlight.

That is far different than the intentional misrepresentation of a college student's testimony and the subsequent barrage of hate speech that followed.

Equating Maher's comment about a VP candidate and those from Limbaugh are completely apples and oranges. Maher expressed a crude opinion; Limbaugh intentionally distorted testimony for his overgrown frat boy mentality listeners, and spent three days spewing every vile characherization his reptillian mind could conjour.

Time to move on? I don't think so. The GOP candidates have been timid to challenge Limbaugh's characterizations. That gives the story legs. Sorry, but it's NOT time to move on. Not by a long shot.
You forgot that Fluzie Fluke put herself on public display, which opens her up to criticism. Did you forget that on purpose for partisan reasons? I believe we all know the answer to that questions.

Oh, and where was the "intentional misrepresentation" of Fluzie Fluke by Limbaugh? Do you even know what he said?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
AOL dropped him today like a hot coal.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:09 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Both are known to use hyperbole, this was not one of those times. He really did mean what he said. He went on to offer an explanation and justification in detail.

Exactly...and he attacked her three days in a row. The suggestion that Ms. Fluke tape herself having sex so that he could watch was vile. Stern is an Equal Opportunity Offender, while Limbaugh does nothing but promote one political party at the expense of the other, every show. And Rush wasn't grinning or laughing; he was serious as he did it. And shame on the GOP leadership for not condemning his remarks...I'm sure that they have wives and daughters and granddaughters, and would be furious if someone spoke in such a way about their own families.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You forgot that Fluzie Fluke put herself on public display, which opens her up to criticism. Did you forget that on purpose for partisan reasons? I believe we all know the answer to that questions.

Oh, and where was the "intentional misrepresentation" of Fluzie Fluke by Limbaugh? Do you even know what he said?
Fluke was testifying about the medical reasons for birth control coverage, Limbaugh made out to be a frat-boy orgyfest. Please. Duh.

"Floozie Fluke" pretty much sinks you to the level of Limbaugh, that of the Knuckledragger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies