Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 03:55 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
You lose any credibility you hope that you have when you name call and make such sweeping generalizations.

I have never been a believer, but know many people (including highly intelligent people in preacher polluted places such as Tennessee) who have deep seated faith in God. I respect these people and respect their beliefs and they show me the same consideration.

Creeping creationism was an interesting term used by the OP. I would hope that when religion came up in school it would be discussed openly because so many in this country are Christian. I would hope that when the subject came up it would be discussed openly and without agenda, so that students could discuss all theories of how humans came to be. That way they could be given all information about all theories, so that they could come to their own conclusions.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the way of education anymore. I don't see students consistently being taught to question, to seek out all information, or being taught how to critically think for themselves.
The religious have no valid theories about, well anything really...Fine, teach religion in a class on comparative religions or the history of, but keep it out of the science class. You sound pretty religious to me if you advocate respecting all of their beliefs, even the crazy impossible ones...I may respect the person , but I am not obligated to respect their beliefs.
Quote:
“Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.”
― Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The religious have no valid theories about, well anything really...Fine, teach religion in a class on comparative religions or the history of, but keep it out of the science class. You sound pretty religious to me if you advocate respecting all of their beliefs, even the crazy impossible ones...I may respect the person , but I am not obligated to respect their beliefs.
Throughout history, religious have been some of the finest science teachers

I understand you hate those with religious beliefs -

Old 10-09-2012, 04:08 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Throughout history, religious have been some of the finest science teachers

I understand you hate those with religious beliefs -
I have no hatred for religious people, as I am religious myself.

I do not, however, like creationism injected where creationism has no place.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
I have no hatred for religious people, as I am religious myself.

I do not, however, like creationism injected where creationism has no place.
Nor do I like evolution or creationism injected where neither has a place.

Teach both in voluntary class settings - neither should be part of a mandatory public school curriculum.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Nor do I like evolution or creationism injected where neither has a place.

Teach both in voluntary class settings - neither should be part of a mandatory public school curriculum.
Sure, if you want to make biology voluntary.

However, as I like kids actually learning factual science, I'll keep evolution mandatory.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:31 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Don't you think it funny, then, that one of the most ardent supporters of science, myself, calls Arkansas home, and one of the most ardent supporters of religion, Harrier, calls Los Angeles home? I guess "preacher-polluted" isn't as defining a characteristic as many people think.

Right. Only the ignorant believe it. And there seems to be a few on this forum.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Sure, if you want to make biology voluntary.

However, as I like kids actually learning factual science, I'll keep evolution mandatory.
Biology should be voluntary in secondary school - there really is no need to study it unless someone is going into a professional field that requires it - and that can be done during post-secondary education.

Biology - if presented in high schools should consist of natural history. Let's stick with what we can observe - and leave conjecture, and talk about origins out of it.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
True no doubt, but their numbers are shrinking daily, while ours are growing....

Most experts agree that the number of secular Americans has probably doubled in the past three decades – growing especially fast among the young. It is thought to be the fastest-growing major "religious" demographic in the country. Rising atheism in America puts 'religious right on the defensive' | World news | The Observer

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-religion-2038
I find it interesting that, on another forum I frequent (mostly scientific) people are primarily agnostic, or Jewish, or Buddhist or alternative religions.

So, while some CLAIM on here that 'Christianity encompasses MOST of America', imo this is a myth.

I have no issue if people want to attend church run by a pastor, instead of a priest. But even the strict Catholic schools did not push their agendas like I see here.

I dont even think the far right wants creationism in schools- they want NO schools, i.e. home-schooling, so their 'bring me to Jesus ' agenda is perpetuated.

I find it odd. And harmful to society bcs you cannot have parents who never finished high school 'teach' children properly.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I find it odd. And harmful to society bcs you cannot have parents who never finished high school 'teach' children properly.
Thought that you could sneak a strawman in without being called on it, did you?

Care to explain why you think that "parents who never finished high school" are teaching children with any great frequency?

Old 10-09-2012, 05:39 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
The OP is discussing a particular state.

Many people there homeschool. And they dont have GED's.
Just the facts.

You cannot teach children to function in the world by telling them God will solve your problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies