Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 04:22 PM

136 posts, read 142,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Seems to me your post is just more evidence of it being "style" rather than a criminal tool.
What kind of people do you think listen to "music" like that? Criminals, thugs, and wannabes.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:31 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,421,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Letter Crap Spreader View Post
What kind of people do you think listen to "music" like that? Criminals, thugs, and wannabes.
I'm afraid that your post indicates a lot of bias on your part. As I said to someone else, do you have any numbers to prove that only (in your words) "criminals, thugs, and wannabes" wear hoodies up?

Old 05-26-2012, 04:34 PM

136 posts, read 142,246 times
Quote:
I'm afraid that your post indicates a lot of bias on your part. As I said to someone else, do you have any numbers to prove that only (in your words) "criminals, thugs, and wannabes" wear hoodies up?
Is that a realistic thing to request? Do you really think there has been a study on how many thugs and criminals wear their hoods up?

Just because I don't have statistics on it doesn't make it true. The sky is blue, can you give me a study to prove this fact?

Old 05-26-2012, 04:36 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,525,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Operative words, as someone previously said "used to be". I work in a pediatrician's office; the young dads come in with all kinds of head gear on, and they are mostly white and/or hispanic. I recall our former hero quarterback, Tim Tebow, giving a press conference with some sort of a stocking cap on during the playoffs. Was he on his way out to rob a convenience store?

Regardless of how CD members think Trayvon "looked" in the 7-11, he did not attempt to rob the store, of this much we can be sure b/c of the video.

Nor have I seen such signs, not in banks either.
The Colorado Bankers Association created a "No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses" poster about three years ago that any Colorado bank can use; it's part of a national campaign. The ANA branch at 3033 East First Avenue in Cherry Creek North recently posted a sign on its front door outlining the prohibited garments, but the policy is nothing new.

No-hoodies rule in banks? No sweat. - Page 1 - News - Denver - Westword

Not all banks or stores have policies, but it's growing. More importantly, ant sensible store owner knows hoodies Can Be an effective disguise.

Though I'm taking part, I'm not sure why so much discussion re hoodies.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Letter Crap Spreader View Post
Is that a realistic thing to request? Do you really think there has been a study on how many thugs and criminals wear their hoods up?

Just because I don't have statistics on it doesn't make it true. The sky is blue, can you give me a study to prove this fact?
I think you mean just because you don't have statistics doesn't make it not true.

If it is a prevalent trend that criminals are wearing hoodies up as a "criminal tool" yes there likely would be statistics out there.

there are entities out there which keep numbers on all kinds of data related to criminal activity.

However, I still think the hoodie issue is about style and weather conditions rather than an indication of being a gang member

Old 05-26-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

Though I'm taking part, I'm not sure why so much discussion re hoodies.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/24470725-post4639.html

Trayvon was wearing hoodie up in convenience store. People seem to be using this "fact" as the basis for posting their beliefs that he was "no good" or to imply he was a "gang member" etc. which obviously has led some people to think he started the fight and Zimmerman acted in accordance with SYG.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:01 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,804,094 times
Quote:
Actually, it is mostly imagined. No, I'm not going to google the statistics, but you are welcome to do the research yourself in order to back up your statement that there is a "wave of crime" going on. I will, however, give you this article:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...a-is-safer-now

"The last time the crime rate for serious crime – murder, rape, robbery, assault – fell to these levels, gasoline cost 29 cents a gallon and the average income for a working American was $5,807."
Nothing to brag about compared to other industrialized countries or Canada.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,401,273 times
Things are winding down, and people are just posting MUS

Old 05-26-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Nothing to brag about compared to other industrialized countries or Canada.
What it means is that it's NOT TRUE that we are in the midst of a "crime wave." It is a comparison of crime statistics in THIS COUNTRY. Crime is now down to levels of crime in 1963! It's now 2012. That's GOOD. That's an improvement! And, yes, it is something to brag about.

It also indicates that those people out there screaming that we should be terrified of all the criminals on the street, and that we need a SYG law because crime is so huge and everywhere, are WRONG. They've convinced people they need to be afraid, they need to have a gun at all times to defend themselves, and they have helped support the NRA agenda with no basis in support of the contention that there is a CRIME WAVE. Florida's SYG law was written by a past NRA president, the first woman NRA president, and an NRA lobbyist.

I'm not opposed the right to own a gun or guns. I do, however, think a SYG law is reprehensible and NOT NECESSARY. It's "overkill" in fact. Self defense laws are more than enough.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Thinker View Post
Things are winding down, and people are just posting MUS
Why do you care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies