Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 03:55 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,412,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Right, it's 2012 and headware like hoodies are part of criminal tool to avoid detection. I doubt there's a store owner anywhere, except for c-d storeowners, who doesn't pay special attention to hooded customers.
Well, that's your opinion, and you're welcome to it. Are there by any chance any statistics out there about hoodies and criminal behavior? Seriously.

Seems to me the hoodies are more about style than criminal behavior. I mean the guy who owns facebook wearing of a hoodie is his signature style. However, I'd certainly be open to changing my mind if there are any studies or criminal statistics that show that wearing a hoodie is a good basis for profiling.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:00 PM

136 posts, read 141,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I have never seen such a sign in a convenience store.

I hear you. I just disagree with you specifically in this case. Yes, if it were 85 degrees outside, clear weather, and someone wore a hoodie up in a store, that would certainly seem unusual and suspicious.

However, those were not the circumstances when Martin wore his hoodie up in the convenience store, as well as wearing it up on his way home. The fact that he did wear a hoodie and wore it up should not be held against him as many in this thread are doing. They are using the simple fact that he wore a hoodie as "evidence" in their minds he was up to no good. That's ridiculous now and it was ridiculous when Geraldo said it. The weather conditions in Florida that night warranted the wearing of some type of clothing to protect yourself from rain and cold.
You must have grown up on the right side of the tracks then. We were not all that fortunate.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
No reason the hoodie couldn't be dropped upoon going inside. It used to be customary for men to remove head gear when entering a building. Still is in the military, where custom and common courtesy last much longer.
Operative words, as someone previously said "used to be". I work in a pediatrician's office; the young dads come in with all kinds of head gear on, and they are mostly white and/or hispanic. I recall our former hero quarterback, Tim Tebow, giving a press conference with some sort of a stocking cap on during the playoffs. Was he on his way out to rob a convenience store?

Regardless of how CD members think Trayvon "looked" in the 7-11, he did not attempt to rob the store, of this much we can be sure b/c of the video.

Quote:
I have never seen such a sign in a convenience store.

I hear you. I just disagree with you specifically in this case. Yes, if it were 85 degrees outside, clear weather, and someone wore a hoodie up in a store, that would certainly seem unusual and suspicious.

However, those were not the circumstances when Martin wore his hoodie up in the convenience store, as well as wearing it up on his way home. The fact that he did wear a hoodie and wore it up should not be held against him as many in this thread are doing. They are using the simple fact that he wore a hoodie as "evidence" in their minds he was up to no good. That's ridiculous now and it was ridiculous when Geraldo said it. The weather conditions in Florida that night warranted the wearing of some type of clothing to protect yourself from rain and cold.
Nor have I seen such signs, not in banks either.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Right, it's 2012 and headware like hoodies are part of criminal tool to avoid detection. I doubt there's a store owner anywhere, except for c-d storeowners, who doesn't pay special attention to hooded customers.

btw, he wasn't wearing his hoodie up for all his trip home.

I don't know whether it was raining when he entered the 7-11 or was walking there.
I don't think it would be too difficult to determine whether or not it was raining that night. It was FEb. 26, 2012. If you live in Florida, you know how wet it can get here if the rain extends for any length of time, and surely you know how a drizzling rain can last for an hour or two. I've read that the temps were in the 60s, so if it's wet outside in Florida that makes the 60 degree temps feel even colder.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Nor have I seen such signs, not in banks either.

They don't post those signs in Mayberry you know.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I don't think it would be too difficult to determine whether or not it was raining that night. It was FEb. 26, 2012. If you live in Florida, you know how wet it can get here if the rain extends for any length of time, and surely you know how a drizzling rain can last for an hour or two. I've read that the temps were in the 60s, so if it's wet outside in Florida that makes the 60 degree temps feel even colder.
Off topic, but a rainy 60 degree night in Feb. would feel warm here in CO, even in metro Denver.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Letter Crap Spreader View Post

They don't post those signs in Mayberry you know.
Who said I live in Mayberry? I live in suburban Denver. I do get out, too. And who said there is no crime in Mayberry? Andy Griffith certainly found a lot of it to fight there.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Even though this song intended to use the word hood solely as "neighborhood", it sparked a huge culture of people wearing their hoody with the hood up.

Lil Jon and The East Side Boyz - Put Yo Hood Up - YouTube

Old 05-26-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Off topic, but a rainy 60 degree night in Feb. would feel warm here in CO, even in metro Denver.
lol. I know. I remember being in Colorado once in November, it had been snowing, and I saw students still wearing shorts!! We were in Boulder before heading up to the mountains to ski. Here in Florida, 60 degrees is the time to break out the heavy coats.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 05-26-2012 at 04:22 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Letter Crap Spreader View Post
Even though this song intended to use the word hood solely as "neighborhood", it sparked a huge culture of people wearing their hoody with the hood up.

Lil Jon and The East Side Boyz - Put Yo Hood Up - YouTube

Seems to me your post is just more evidence of it being "style" rather than a criminal tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies