Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 06:12 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
You CALL BS???? You SPEW BS!!!! Of course they did. My grandpa was a contractor and not a pauper. Well you might be right about the other one. He died in about 1930, so he might not have. He owned a sugar-cane processing plant.
More BS.

I suggest you look up when the 16th Amendment was ratified.

Here are facts. not BS.

Why do half of Americans pay no federal income tax? - CSMonitor.com

Old 04-30-2012, 06:14 PM

867 posts, read 498,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
More BS.

I suggest you look up when the 16th Amendment was ratified.

Here are facts. not BS.

I looked it up earlier it was in 1913. And please, stop spewing the BS.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Are you attempting to tell us that the difference in the two situations escapes you? Really? You don't see the difference?

Well, let me help you out.

The rich are paying more (approx twice) their fair share, and carrying the vast bulk of the cost of gov't. IRS figures show top 1%, earn about 20% of all income, but pay approx 40% of all income taxes paid.

The bottom feeders, pay nothing, or even get money from the government on top of not paying Income tax, and need to step up to the plate just like grown up Americans are expected to, and pay their fair share, or at least a semblance thereof.
In this country, people pay generally the amount of tax proportional to their income.

According to Wiki:
Quote:
In 2010, a census study showed the top 20 percent of Americans earned 49.4% of the nation’s income.
So, if the top 20% earn 49.4% of income and pay 40% of all income taxes, that is pretty proportional -- not an out-of-line amount as you make it seem.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
In this country, people pay generally the amount of tax proportional to their income.

According to Wiki: So, if the top 20% earn 49.4% of income and pay 40% of all income taxes, that is pretty proportional -- not an out-of-line amount as you make it seem.
Top 1% (that is one, uno, half of two) earn approx 20% of all income and pay about 40% of all income taxes paid. IRS figures.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
Quote:
STRAWMAN ALERT - STRAWMAN ALERT

I am NOT the GOP, and we are referring to the Income Tax. Get is straight and quit playing Strawman.
Dude, you said, if you don't pay federal income taxes you don't get to vote, that is a poll tax. Not sure what junior high debate team you're on, but keep your logical fallacy nonsense there until you learn what they are.

just a quick FYI, you might wanta read the CD TOS ASAP, you are doing a little too much Namecalling. Deal with the post, the idea, and ease up on the personal attacks, ad hominem, on you logical fallacy cheat sheet.

Sure you not a close minded GOP drone, we can tell from the tone and tenor of your posts that you are extremely progressive, LOL.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:53 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Top 1% (that is one, uno, half of two) earn approx 20% of all income and pay about 40% of all income taxes paid. IRS figures.
What you are unwittingly underscoring is how slanted the income distribution is. In a previous post, we established that the top 20% earned 49.4% of the nation’s income. Now, you report that the top 1% earn 2/5 of the income of the top 20%. What's also true is that the top 0.1% (that's zero point uno percent) — about 315,000 individuals out of 315 million — are making about half of all capital gains on the sale of shares or property after 1 year; and these capital gains make up 60% of the income made by the Forbes 400.

We also find that the top 1% have had the biggest gains over the last 30 years. Progressive tax policy is a way to address this inequality.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:50 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,629,731 times
Quote:
It is not about the revenue, per se, it is that they have skin in the game, that they have to be subject to the laws they support, not just others.

Think of it as:

"No representation without taxation" or "No payee, no votee".
What makes you think those people don't have "skin in the game"?!

When I was in the Marine Corps, I paid no taxes due to low income and having dependents. I had skin in the game 'cause I was a member of this country's military.

When hubby was in the Army a few years ago, we didn't pay taxes then either, and pre-deployment, we could have qualified for food stamps! But due to low income, and combat pay and other such pays, we had no tax liability either.

We have zero tax liability now, due to the fact we are working poor and full time college students.

You can NOT, with ANY credibility sit there and tell me we don't have skin in the game.

There are THOUSANDS of families like ours (military) was then who don't have tax liability, and you want them to pay more?! BAH.

Not to mention 22% of that 47% are elderly.

So in actuality, only 25% of the working class have no tax liability.

Of that 25%, some are young adults working through college, some are disabled, some are military families, and some are poverty level, and some are working poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Have some facts.

After you read them, go walk into a propeller.
Thank you for posting that, I love the CSM, they are one of the only unbiased, unslanted news sources out there.

Two thumbs up to you!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,743 times
Quote:
Are you attempting to tell us that the difference in the two situations escapes you? Really? You don't see the difference?

Well, let me help you out.

The rich are paying more (approx twice) their fair share, and carrying the vast bulk of the cost of gov't. IRS figures show top 1%, earn about 20% of all income, but pay approx 40% of all income taxes paid.

The bottom feeders, pay nothing, or even get money from the government on top of not paying Income tax, and need to step up to the plate just like grown up Americans are expected to, and pay their fair share, or at least a semblance thereof.

As a simple fact of economics, a single dollar means more to a person making $20,000 a year than it does to a person making $2,000,000 a year.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:21 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
What makes you think those people don't have "skin in the game"?!

When I was in the Marine Corps, I paid no taxes due to low income and having dependents. I had skin in the game 'cause I was a member of this country's military.

When hubby was in the Army a few years ago, we didn't pay taxes then either, and pre-deployment, we could have qualified for food stamps! But due to low income, and combat pay and other such pays, we had no tax liability either.

We have zero tax liability now, due to the fact we are working poor and full time college students.

You can NOT, with ANY credibility sit there and tell me we don't have skin in the game.

There are THOUSANDS of families like ours (military) was then who don't have tax liability, and you want them to pay more?! BAH.

Not to mention 22% of that 47% are elderly.

So in actuality, only 25% of the working class have no tax liability.

Of that 25%, some are young adults working through college, some are disabled, some are military families, and some are poverty level, and some are working poor.

Thank you for posting that, I love the CSM, they are one of the only unbiased, unslanted news sources out there.

Two thumbs up to you!

Thanks for you and your's sacrifices. Without a strong military with people like you working for all of is these idiots wouldn't need to worry about the taxes they are paying.

My daughter has been one of those working poor students for years now. Life is tough with no "taxable income". I don't think anyone that hasn't lived with zero "taxable income" has any right to criticize people forced to live in poverty.

47% don't pay federal income tax mostly BECAUSE they don't have TAXABLE INCOME, THEY ARE POOR.

35% of the American workforce are not even working!!! Do these idiots think were should tax non working, elderly, disabled, students, unemployed???

Looking at this chart, it appears that more than 30% of the people not paying federal income taxes are doing fairly well. How do 4000 people earn over a million and not pay any federal income tax? Why isn't the wingnut outrage directed at these 4000? Why are they going after poor people that don't have anything to give?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Dude, you said, if you don't pay federal income taxes you don't get to vote, that is a poll tax. Not sure what junior high debate team you're on, but keep your logical fallacy nonsense there until you learn what they are.

just a quick FYI, you might wanta read the CD TOS ASAP, you are doing a little too much Namecalling. Deal with the post, the idea, and ease up on the personal attacks, ad hominem, on you logical fallacy cheat sheet.

Sure you not a close minded GOP drone, we can tell from the tone and tenor of your posts that you are extremely progressive, LOL.
Speaking in generalities and philosophically. Sorry you were confused. They want their cake and to eat it to. All the bennies, none of the costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies