Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 04:14 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times

Advertisements

as a left handed person, i would support the Republican Party if it dropped its insistence on supply-side economics.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:05 PM

464 posts, read 479,282 times
OP: 100 Trillion Dollars *cue dr. evil laugh*

Seriously, I want it in small unmark bills and I will vote GOP all day and night.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:27 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
[quote=LAB6120;24298109]
Quote:
I'm a Black voter, my views are conservative in certain aspects: financial matters- I believe people should pull their own weight, not spend what they don't have, save for a rainy day etc... I am anti-abortion (moral value), I believe in school vouchers, respect private property(none of that eminent domain crap).
So far all things Dems are opposed to in varying degrees.

Quote:
I have conflicting views when it comes to Affirmative action-I don't believe we are in a post-racial era and still need some type of government regulation when it comes to hiring "qualified applicants" of all races but I don't want to be the token Black guy-don't hire me if there's a more qualified person of another race.
Can tell you are conflicted because your point doesn't logically reconcile. Fair enough if Obama can evolve and be conflicted you can too.

Quote:
Gun control-I own guns and believe all law abiding citizens should have the right to but there should be limitations on certain guns(there's no need for regular citizens to have machine guns,grenades, rocket launchers etc) Death penalty-I believe some people deserve to die for a heinous crime they committed but then what if that person was wrongly convicted(you can't take death back)-if it can be proven without a doubt that someone committed murder-I think they should die in turn.
Yup agree with these points.

Quote:
Then I have my liberal views, I think goverment should regulate the market system to some extent, I don't trust big banks.
Some sort of regulation needs to occur I agree but Obama and company want to burden banks with onerous regulations. What folks need to understand is that business and banking are inherently risking behaviors.

Quote:
Energy-we do need to find energy alternatives and stop depleting our natural resources. Healthcare-we should all have access to free/low cost healthcare

Low cost healthcare sounds nice but who is going to pay for the nurses and doctors? What about the medical supplies and drugs? These things all drive the costs of healthcare. I work in healthcare finance and you can't simply wave a wand and drive down costs. Also if the government pays for it the money has to come from somewhere it doesn't just materialize from thin air.

Quote:
Separation of church and state-religion and government should not mix. Same sex marriage -I dont care who likes who and who wants to get married-thats between them and their significant other.
Even a secular government has the right to set the basic standards that govern society. Certainly if two men want to live together they should be free to do so. I don't think the state should "bless" these unions. They have no foundation in our traditions.

Quote:
which Taxes-I believe the wealthy should pay higher taxes-give back to this great country that made you wealthy(now this can also lessen if our government become more fiscally responsible)
Sounds nice and they do pay the highest taxes already. However if you continue to tax they can simply take their money elsewhere. Where do you think banks get their money to extend mortgages from, write business loans etc.? Also why should folks be taxed at high rates while spending continues to balloon? I believe money is best used by private citizens as opposed to a large wasteful government.

Quote:
Ok, now that I have given my views on some of the issues, the question of the Op-What would it take to draw me to the Republican party? They would have to change their views on some of the above, preferably, Healthcare and Taxes for me to consider a Presidential nominee.
Well then they would be Democrats.

Quote:
It also doesn't help when I am lumped in with "Blacks on the plantation", "Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Black panther is your leader crap", Thugs, inner city, Animals-whatever code words is used for Black people" and other disparaging remarks coming from the far right.
Hate to breeak it you but the far right do not monopolize these terms. Also it's Blacks themselves that lend themselves to be grouped as such. Poll after poll on varying issues from voting to the Travon Martin saga shows Blacks having a nearly uniform voice. So why wouldn;t people simply group alll together when 90% do this, that or the other?

Quote:
I have and will continue to vote for local Republican and Democratic candidates in my state-as long as their views align(for the most part) with mine.
As well you should.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:29 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,012 times
if they weren't big spending protectionist nanny statists i might not have as many problems with them.

low taxes, low spending
free movement of good, capital, serves, and people
stop playing favoritism to big corporations, we're trying to escape kleptocracy, not join a new one
stop trying to ban everything. you're not being "tough on crime" by enforcing dumb laws, you're just wasting resources. you're tough on crime when you kill ppl who need killing, not locking ppl up for a minimal offense that would be settled by paying a US$20 bribe in any other country.

i think the racism thing is overblown. ppl are racist as hell where i come from, i just can't consider white americans very racist, if anything theyre paranoid about not being racist, which is kind of annoying. stop being wussies

Old 05-14-2012, 06:02 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Just curious, is anyone who responded a minority?
Blind lesbian here.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:05 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Blind lesbian here.
Shenanigans. It's "blind lesbian over here." We need a preposition in that sentence.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:21 PM

249 posts, read 193,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It shouldn't be a qualification to speak Spanish to get a job in this country to accomodate non-assimilating Hispanics and/or illegal alien Spanish speakers. That isn't "qualifications" that is discrimination and pandering for a buck. Your fellow black Americans are being displaced by cheap, illegal labor but I guess you don't care about that? Obama and the Democrats want them to remain here aka amnesty and continue to hold American jobs that are affecting less educated and poor whites and blacks. In otherwords they are throwing poor black and white Americans under the bus for votes from Hispanics.

If you think the reasons that the Republicans state why they have advocated for certain legislations/policies are based on racism then there is nothing I can say to change your mind. I find that GOP haters never do. You calling them evil makes my case. No sense in you and I having any more dialogue about this.
What?! That's a little too far. Speaking Spanish or a second language is not discrimination. My fellow Blacks are not being pushed out by Hispanics. Actually, its the policies that allow for tax breaks corporate loop holes that enabled the en-masse out sourcing of our industrial workforce. It's all mechanization. People at the lowest end of the economy (domestic help and agriculture) will compete. However, factory jobs are less likely to be held by illegal immigrants. So the competition theory doesn't quite hold weight.

I like this sentence "In otherwords they are throwing poor black and white Americans under the bus for votes from Hispanics." It's highly nativist and shows exactly a facet of the conservatism movement that truly is bigoted. You wrote out the "us" vs. "them" right there. It shows how you don't consider Hispanics Americans (regardless of the fact that they comprise 50 million people in the US).

Evil is obviously a strong word, but illogical is a better word. You can't in the same post claim that Republicans are for minorities (notice the 's') and parse out a minority group. It kind of defeats the purpose of your argument.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
When you say you hate inner city culture it means that you hate the culture of all those in the inner city.
What I said: "I do hate the inner city gangster rap thug culture and what it brings to society. But there are people of all races who participate in that."

I said inner city because I don't see it in the suburbs... outside of a few jerks. But it is quite common in certain areas of town. To argue the point is to argue against statistics

Quote:
Many people live in the inner city and most of them are not thugs and they will take what you say to mean that you hate them just because they live in the inner city.
There are some fine people, of all races, in the city. I hope they stay safe from the trouble makers.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Come out in favor of marriage equality and put an end to the endless supply of wedge issues that they conjure up every election cycle.
Fair taxes for all regardless of how many kids you have or marital status
An end to the Earned Income Tax Credit
An end to illegal immigration and welfare/health/education benefits for children born of illegals on American soil
Eliminate corporate welfare
Phase out the Congress by reducing the number of districts over time.
A great reduction in military spending
Maintain Social Security and Medicare.
Interesting list. Do you vote Libertarian?

Old 05-14-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
Really the whole explosion of youth moving into city centers is not occurring? What about the fact that more Republican areas are more in favor of nationalist and more racist policies against Hispanics. Or the fact that conservative universities like Bob Jones banned interracial dating. Liberal universities don't ban interracial dating. That's kind of big indicator. Let's not forget that more conservative areas are less likely to accept interracial dating (54% of Mississippi Republicans vs. 83% nationally). So one side is more racist than the other.
What anti-Hispanic policies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies