Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Just another example of religion poking it's nose in where it doesn't belong.
I don't think so in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
It's because the Republican party is being controlled by the religious right. It's the reason I left the Republican party.
Not so much here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The Religious Right's stranglehold on the GOP is a key reason the state has shifted so much. Look at what has happened in suburban Denver.
Tell me what has happened in suburban Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 PM

50,357 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
GOP kills civil unions in Colorado special session - US news - msnbc.com

It's funny. They used to criticize homosexuals for pushing for same-sex marriage, and they'd say that they were okay with civil unions. Now they don't even approve of civil unions.

What's next? Will Republicans try to make homosexuality illegal again?
I'm pretty shocked that could happen in Birkenstockland. I'm pretty conservative, but I have no problem with civil unions.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 PM

59,014 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:

It's funny. They used to criticize homosexuals for pushing for same-sex marriage, and they'd say that they were okay with civil unions. Now they don't even approve of civil unions.

Why do people on the left always accuse others with a different opinion, of hate?

What ever happened to just disagreeing?

I think those making the accusations are the ones filled with hate.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm pretty shocked that could happen in Birkenstockland. I'm pretty conservative, but I have no problem with civil unions.
Neither do many Coloradans (my home state and where I've lived most of my life). 76% of Coloradans support extending equal state rights to gay couples via civil unions. Even 60% of Republicans in Colorado support civil unions. Hell, 37 of the 65 (57%) members of the Colorado House of Representatives, including 5 Republicans, declared support for this bill before the Speaker killed it.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why do people on the left always accuse others with a different opinion, of hate?

Republicans say the same thing when taxes on the rich are proposed to be raised. "You hate their success", things of that nature.

Its a political strategy.

I don't know the minds of the people who voted for or against this proposition. It could be religiously motivated, or not, I don't know. I could be hate, or not, I don't know.

What I do know is that its un American to deprive one person of rights that everyone else enjoys. I think the issue of gay marriage is clouded by religion, and as such, civil marriage should be abolished.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,101 times
Quote:

We don't accuse people who disagree with us of being hateful. We accuse people who mistreat others based on their sexuality (or race, or religion, etc) of hate.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,191 times
Quote:

No. I don't think most people "hate" homosexuals; nor would they want to make homosexuality illegal. But, many who are not in favor of legalizing SSM are rightfully concerned about the slippery slope with Civil Unions.

"Well-meaning folks...who oppose redefining marriage, yet support civil unions and domestic partnerships for same-sex couples, do so with the mistaken belief that both sides of the marriage debate will be satisfied with this apparent compromise. In practice, however, neither side is happy. And more importantly, as a legal matter, civil union laws absolutely undermine the case for marriage."

"Make no mistake about it; a vote for this bill is a vote for same-sex “marriage.” In every U.S. jurisdiction where civil unions or domestic partnerships have been enacted, those who advocated for their passage subsequently rejected them as inadequate and demanded that marriage be redefined. (That dynamic has occurred in California, Washington state, New Jersey, Vermont, the District of Columbia, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, Hawai’i, Illinois, and Nevada, where civil unions provided the legal rights and privileges of marriage; the celebration of those new legal rights were immediate followed with demands for a new definition of marriage.)"

Why No State, Including Colorado, Should Accept

BTW, gays have every right to get "married" in a church of their finding and have it recognized by their own social group. Legally, the definition of marriage in this country has always been between one man and one woman and according to the 31 states in which it has been voted on, most people recognize the importance of keeping it that way.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:07 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
No, as long as those convictions do not infringe upon the liberties of others.

Just as I'm entitled to believe that many religious people are knuckle dragging backwoods mouth breathers that are influenced by the beliefs of Bronze Age goat herders and have IQ's below your average house cat.
But marriage isn't just based on just personal choice. There are laws about what is considered to be a legal marriage and what is not. I am not expressing a personal opinion here on gay marriage just pointing out the facts.

Your last paragraph proves yet again how uncivil and insulting the left can be on any issue. As someone else asked in here what is wrong with just disagreeing without resorting to childish and hateful remarks?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:16 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,393 times
Quote:
From Post #16...
Besides snce they are such a small minority as the righties claim then there is nothing to worry about is there
That's what they said when they started handing out welfare checks for the "REALLY REALLY" needy.

Quote:
From Post #22...
"The gay community is being used as a political pawn," he said.
I would think that to be more... The gay community is using ITSELF as a political pawn.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:16 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,933,215 times
Quote:

Maybe if those that have a different opinion would stop trying to make laws that force their opinion on others there would be less of a problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies