Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I cannot possibly outline all five of the books in the Torah in a forum post. If you want to know - go read Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy and Numbers. You specifically asked about homosexuality - I answered you. Do some research on your own - I hope that you read the entire Bible - not just the Torah - but that is a good start.
So eating shellfish is still a sin since the Law was not erased one iota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Jesus often referred back to the Jewish law - which says that homosexuality is wrong. THe Bible needs to be read and understood as a whole body of work - you cannot cherry-pick bits and pieces and expect them to make sense.

Jesus made it clear that his life, death, and ressurection was the fulfillment of the Law - also that not one iota of the law would be erased. ......
You're the one cherry-picking homosexuality as a sin. As mentioned on another current thread, the Jewish law (which only mentioned male homosexuality, not female) also forbids the eating of shellfish and the breaking of the Sabbath (Saturday) by doing ANY work whatsoever, with the offender being put to death. I'm surprised you think that hasn't changed. Leviticus and Deuteronomy are chock-full of laws that Orthodox Jews still obey but Christians don't (don't wear clothes woven of more than one fabric such as cotton and rayon blends, avoid certain kinds of mold and cleanse the house with a live bird's blood, don't eat pork, it's ok to sell your daughter into slavery, women are unclean and not to be touched after giving birth and when menstruating, you have to drain the blood from any animal before eating it, etc, on and on ..... )

Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You're the one cherry-picking homosexuality as a sin. As mentioned on another current thread, the Jewish law (which only mentioned male homosexuality, not female) also forbids the eating of shellfish and the breaking of the Sabbath (Saturday) by doing ANY work whatsoever, with the offender being put to death. I'm surprised you think that hasn't changed. Leviticus and Deuteronomy are chock-full of laws that Orthodox Jews still obey but Christians don't (don't wear clothes woven of more than one fabric such as cotton and rayon blends, avoid certain kinds of mold and cleanse the house with a live bird's blood, don't eat pork, it's ok to sell your daughter into slavery, women are unclean and not to be touched after giving birth and when menstruating, you have to drain the blood from any animal before eating it, etc, on and on ..... )
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So eating shellfish is still a sin since the Law was not erased one iota?
Again - you are cherry-picking OT verses and ignoring the NT. People who have not read the Bible - or willfully misunderstand it cannot speak about it authoritatively. You are a prime example. Open your eyes - and read the entire Counsel of God - as a body of work.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Again - you are cherry-picking OT verses and ignoring the NT. People who have not read the Bible - or willfully misunderstand it cannot speak about it authoritatively. You are a prime example. Open your eyes - and read the entire Counsel of God - as a body of work.
Considering I've seen some of these posters on the Christian section of this site, I'm certain that what you have stated has already been stated to them, but it comes down to what people want to believe. If they want to believe that the Bible is wrong then they will continue to cherry pick verses to justify their view, but if they really honestly want to know the truth then they would do just as you said and read the whole context of what the word of God is stating by reading the Bible. Only those people can make that decision for themselves.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as sexual orientation - that is why it wasn't mentioned.
They did understand sexual preference - and they knew that some people chose to be homosexual - which was(and is) deviant.
There absolutely is sexual orientation.... The word "homosexual" first appeared in an American Bible in 1973, the New International Version (NIV).

"I am always amazed at how the Bible, that portrays my Lord embracing the outcasts, touching the lepers, welcoming the Samaritans, not judging the woman taken in the act of adultery, and inviting 'all of ye,' not 'some of ye,' to 'come unto me,' can, in the hands of a few distorted people be turned into a book of hatred, violence and judgment." J.S. Spong, an author and retired bishop of the Episcopal Church, USA

Last edited by sanspeur; 05-30-2012 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
And Mohammed loved gay orgies, I suppose.

Those outside a religion seem to think that they can twist the traditions anywhere they wish.

I have no idea about Mohammed so what exactly are you confused about??? Oh and no Jesus did not write the bible.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as sexual orientation - that is why it wasn't mentioned.
Oh yeah. The Bible tells us everything we need to know about science.

Get real.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,794 times

Nice to see that not all xians are bigots.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
You are showing a lot of ignorance about the Bible. Jesus is known as the Word, and is the author of the entire Bible. He is not merely a human being that you can quote for his time on earth. The Word is very clearly against the practice of homosexuality (not homosexuals---they're human beings in need of salvation, same as anyone else; however, one cannot continue in the practice of sin).

Did you quit sinning when you got saved? Has anyone?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
True - according to the policies of his church - he was fine. But he should not be surprised that his congregation thought differently - and he is leading a corporation. If you have bills to pay - you don't offend your members who you rely on to pay those things. He should have had a better feel for his congregation before he did something that drove them away.
So, what are you suggesting? That he should have tempered his remarks for the all mighty dollar? That church income supersedes right and wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies