Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 06:28 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I say that people should not be rushing to judgment on flimsy information - I'm not so sure that is true of you.

What does she "deserve"?
I never said she had anything, I don't know if she hand intent to go in that house to crap, to pee, to sleep, to find another beer, to puke, or whatever, whatever she was doing she had "intent" whether it was to harm, pee, crap, find another beer, pass out, find someone to screw....she had intent, good or bad....

She deserves what ever the judge say, if he says you got shot, that's your lesson then so be it, if the judge says you have probation then so be it, if the judge says you go to jail then so be it.

You are basing your argument off of "she was drunk and that is her excuse why she walked into that house."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:32 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,188,113 times
She wasn't posing a deadly threat. I'd rather a few people that made a mistake and fired on an unarmed intruder go to prison than people get away with aggravated assault and murder.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:32 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
- If I were a judge I would send her home with a lecture.... because she is white and looks healthy..after all girls will be girls I would say- and then I would sentence every last black person to fifty years of hard labor- joking- seriously the girl is not going to do time for staggering into someone house- unless she has a history of doing so

Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
She wasn't posing a deadly threat. I'd rather a few people that made a mistake and fired on an unarmed intruder go to prison than people get away with aggravated assault and murder.
We don't know that.....

Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You are basing your argument off of "she was drunk and that is her excuse why she walked into that house."
OK - so we both agree that the intent is unknown - yet I am not allowed to have an opinion?

My opinion is that if she walked into the house by mistake because she was drunk - then she should not be charged with something like criminal tresspass.

It seems that you are assuming(again) that I think I have all the facts. I don't and I know that. I am having an academic discussion - and part of doing that is to explore possibilities. If she did enter with criminal intent - then of course she should be charged with such a crime. Do you think I ever said otherwise?

So - now that we understand where both are coming from - what is your opinion based on what you think actually happened. Did she have other intentions besides making a stupid mistake - if so what might those intentions be and what would cause you to think that?

I think that I am stronger ground with an accidental mistake due to intoxication hypothesis.

Maybe you are trying too hard to find an argument where there is none.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
We don't know that.....
Correction - the homeowners didn't know that - that is why they were justified in taking potentially deadly action.

We certainly do know now that she was not a deadly threat - hindsight is great.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
OK - so we both agree that the intent is unknown - yet I am not allowed to have an opinion?
The "intent" was she was so drunk that she thought it was her friend's house.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The "intent" was she was so drunk that she thought it was her friend's house.
I am pretty sure that is likely so - but chuck seems bent on finding some other intent - and justifying putting her in jail.

I am curious as to what that other intention might be.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
If the homeowners were as bloodthirsty as some here make them out to be then they would have fired again to finish the job. If they did this, then yes, lock them up. But they didn't. They gave verbal warnings to whomever was in their home before shooting. A home invasion at 3 am could potentially lead to the deaths of all inside the home. They didn't just grab a gun and start firing. They gave warnings. Then once the girl was shot, instead of finishing her off, they called 911 for police and ambulance. The fact that she is a girl and lily white should not have any bearing on her punishment. All that should matter is criminal history (if any), criminal intent or lack of, time already spent in jail, and possibly the gunshot wound. Based upon what I've read in the article, I don't feel she deserves prison. I feel she deserves some city jail time, alcohol/drug counseling, and parole.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:

My opinion is that if she walked into the house by mistake because she was drunk - then she should not be charged with something like criminal tresspass.

It seems that you are assuming(again) that I think I have all the facts. I don't and I know that. I am having an academic discussion - and part of doing that is to explore possibilities. If she did enter with criminal intent - then of course she should be charged with such a crime. Do you think I ever said otherwise?

So - now that we understand where both are coming from - what is your opinion based on what you think actually happened. Did she have other intentions besides making a stupid mistake - if so what might those intentions be and what would cause you to think that?

I think that I am stronger ground with an accidental mistake due to intoxication hypothesis.

Maybe you are trying too hard to find an argument where there is none.
I think we were saying the same thing just different ways.

Everyone has an opinion, just as everyone else does.

I really have no opinion, and you maybe right, she may have been just a drunk, stumbled in the wrong house....assuming that was her house......that's your opinion.....

I say, I don't know why she went in there, that's my opinion.

Did she deserve to get shot, not for me to judge.

Could she have deserved to get shot, not for me to judge, but I'm not ruling it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies