Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 03:13 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times

Advertisements

Reading the link it doesnt appear the customer was doing anything illegal by using the particular card to buy cigarettes, the cashier took it upon herself to subject the customer to her idea of what should or shouldnt be ultimately causing her to retire even though her boss said she didnt need to go that far. Granted if you are poor and living off government assistance wasting your money on cigarettes is foolish but its not illegal or up to the store clerk to enforce her brand of vigilante customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 03:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Reading the link it doesnt appear the customer was doing anything illegal by using the particular card to buy cigarettes, the cashier took it upon herself to subject the customer to her idea of what should or shouldnt be ultimately causing her to retire even though her boss said she didnt need to go that far. Granted if you are poor and living off government assistance wasting your money on cigarettes is foolish but its not illegal or up to the store clerk to enforce her brand of vigilante customer service.
The only way it will likely change is for more to do what she did.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:17 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,075,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So, what is your opinion here about people being able to buy cigarette's on their welfare card?
I dont think that person should be able to buy cigarettes, but that is not my point. Republicans are looking for any reason to get rid of entitlements without giving up something on their side. I dont want to hear any complaining about welfare from the right because you had the opportunity to do it without bi-partisan help and did nothing. If you want to complain about entitlements, i expect you to also say you'll allow to have your taxes raised or agree to spending cuts in the military or whatever major thing you guys cherish so much.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I dont think that person should be able to buy cigarettes, but that is not my point. Republicans are looking for any reason to get rid of entitlements without giving up something on their side. I dont want to hear any complaining about welfare from the right because you had the opportunity to do it without bi-partisan help and did nothing. If you want to complain about entitlements, i expect you to also say you'll allow to have your taxes raised or agree to spending cuts in the military or whatever major thing you guys cherish so much.
You? You have absolutely no idea what my positions are. I have no idea why even when someone agree's with something they have to lash out at some vague idea about the position of others.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,151,352 times
Quote:
The next day Whiton said the customer’s foster mother came to the store to complain. Whiton received a call later that day from the company’s home office in Maine, telling her it had received a complaint about her and reprimanded her.
I actually spoke with the author of this story this morning over this issue, because people with foster mothers, are too young to be buying cigarettes.. You lose foster parents at the age of 18..

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
How do you know that every poster complaining here is a Republican ? How. I didn't have to register my political affiliation with you.

You are ranting and raving about Republicans wanting to end, yes END welfare programs.

Go read post #1. This is about how a guy bought cigs with his EBT card. A few posters were not aware that you can do that. Now, maybe, just maybe they will contact their Congress critter and voice an opinion about taxpayer dollars supposedly going to feed the poor being used to buy cigarettes.

And several of us agree that maybe the food stamp program should get back to its roots..giving out FOOD.
That's not starving anyone but the scammers.

10,564 posts, read 12,829,068 times
People smoke- poor people have few pleasures- In Canada a pack of smokes cost about 10 dollars- most of that is tax- I don't know what the situation is in America but it is similar...The tax payers money is filtered through the poor and goes back into the system. I notice that on "welfare day" ...for about a five day period those on welfare spend the little extra cash they have and it is a monthly boost to merchants along the street. In a way they are paid by the government to spend.

These poor are hired as mini-spending machines..kind of like monthly bail out packages to merchants who other wise would lose millions per year...some will say that they should not use this LEGAL substance called tobacco- and should buy "healthy" food...real food cost real money and what they send these people is not real money- Even a good earner has little buying power these days- Welfare cases have almost no real buying power- Some say that these types have no ambition..You have to realize that many of them were normal hard working people at one time from all walks of life.

Some have become mentally and emotionally ill- some are plain stupid- and some are very bright people who have given up ...a lot of broken hearts out there- and a lot of broken people...to loath them is like a healthy slave that hates the ones that have fallen down under the weight of their chains.

So if big business profits from tobacco and so does government- just remember it's legal- everyone benefits from tobacco tax..at the expense of the health of the poor.

3,417 posts, read 3,075,934 times
Quote:
You? You have absolutely no idea what my positions are. I have no idea why even when someone agree's with something they have to lash out at some vague idea about the position of others.
i wasnt referring specifically to you. I just meant republicans in general. If they want something, you have to give something.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The person had a FOSTER MOTHER, meaning they were a CHILD. You dont see a problem with people buying cigarettes, let alone on their welfare cards?

Old 06-27-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
i swear, republicans complain about everything. They want to put poor people on the streets, kick grandma off medicare, have blacks hanging from a tree, and they want even lower taxes.
Wait.. I cant put salt that I paid for, on my food I paid for, or people cant buy a soda in school using their own money, but you have absolutely no problem with taxpayer money being used to buy a cancer causing cigarette for someone that the taxpayers will have to care for when they get sick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies