Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,450,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I would never have voted for the guy for President but he's right about this issue and speaks for the majority of not only our state but many states who will Opt out.
In your opinion.

Quote:
We are not alone in this fiasco.
Misery loves company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:31 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,252,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What does that have to do with Texas opting out of expanded medicaid and the insurance pool ? Obamacare made it optional for states and the Supreme Court upheld that.

You got your Obamacare. You got your subsidized insurance. You got coverage for everyone.
What MORE do you want ? (By "you" I mean the Dems).
No we don't have coverage for everyone. Read post #20 of this thread

"As for Texas, it is sad that the Mr. Perry accepts that 6.2 million citizens of "his" state are without insurance and that he puts road blocks in the way of improving the health and welfare of Texas citizens! He should be making an effort and take pride in making Texas a state for everyone instead he is all about giving to his supporters and less about working for a better Texas!
Surely with 6.2 million plenty will move around to other states trying to do better than in Texas and we people in other states will have to pickup the tab and for all the other mooching REPUB STATES AS WELL.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 AM

8,636 posts, read 9,149,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
better? no but it is different. I use my insurance when I am in the states. I actually like it in Thailand because there are fewer whiners and freeloaders. I'll retire here soon. (I hope)
I have not been brought to my knees by a major illness. I am not concerned about anyone elses needs besides my own and my families. Why should I be? Will Versatile come and cut my grass if I am sick? will you? will you or Versatile pay my bills for me? will anyone? No of course not and that is fine. I wouldnt expect it. More to the point I shouldnt expect it.
As for those who lost their jobs etc. The welfare is waiting for them. The nanny state types love people on welfare.
at any rate I have said my piece on this thread. Its all talking points and no real answers.
I know a couple of people who have left the US for Thailand. One in particular is an American who greets english speakers only and makes them feel at home in a hospital in Bangkok. Both are there because of medical reasons and a lower cost of living.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

"As for Texas, it is sad that the Mr. Perry accepts that 6.2 million citizens of "his" state are without insurance and that he puts road blocks in the way of improving the health and welfare of Texas citizens! He should be making an effort and take pride in making Texas a state for everyone instead he is all about giving to his supporters and less about working for a better Texas!
Surely with 6.2 million plenty will move around to other states trying to do better than in Texas and we people in other states will have to pickup the tab and for all the other mooching REPUB STATES AS WELL.
Wasn't that the entire point of Obamacare ? Like Texas is the only state with uninsured people ?
There are other states with more generous welfare benefits and there's nothing keeping these people in Texas. If the illegals can find a way to up and move overnight halfway across the country then anyone can.

The coverage will start when Obamacare goes into full force. Don't like it then complain to Congress because they set the date, not Texas.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Quote:

People mooch, not states.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
People mooch, not states.
Yours is sure trying to.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Wasn't that the entire point of Obamacare ? Like Texas is the only state with uninsured people ?
There are other states with more generous welfare benefits and there's nothing keeping these people in Texas. If the illegals can find a way to up and move overnight halfway across the country then anyone can.

The coverage will start when Obamacare goes into full force. Don't like it then complain to Congress because they set the date, not Texas.
I address all those mooching states. Did you read my post? I have read yours.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Keep laughing our wines are just as good as California's.

http://http://winecurmudgeon.typepad...do-winery.html

Even the LA Time's praises our Texas made Vodka's.
That link isn't coming up. If i want a good Vodka (and i don't because i don't drink hard alcohol), i'll get it from Mother Russia...thank you very much. I really don't want to turn up a bottle of vodka only to find TX on the label somewhere.

What's next? Go to Montana to get some Soul Food?

And no, your wines ARE NOT as good as California's.

Look, there is only one state in this country routinely making wine worth drinking, and its capitol is Sacramento (hint).

That's not to say that there isn't a vintner or two in Texas that knows the craft. Hell, i know a great vintner in Nevada that makes some incredible wines that go toe to toe with some of the best stuff i've had in California.

But for the most part, NO!! No state can routinely compete with California because they don't have California's location, topography, and weather.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Some people make better Governors than Presidents. Bush was one IMHO. He was a good governor for Texas. I would not have voted for Perry had he been on the Republican ticket for President yet I did vote for him for Governor each time he came up.

I think Reagan made the transition from Governor to President pretty well.
I voted for Bush the first time but he didn't run the country as well as he ran Texas. He didn't get my vote the 2nd time round though.

Texas runs a pretty tight fiscal ship. We get bashed alot for it but this is what the majority of people want.
And it's the people who live in Texas that elect their Governor. This is the way they want to live.

Having lived in Austin I met up with lots of transplants. With Texas it's either love it or hate it.
And if they hate it that much they are usually gone in a few years.
Hard to imagine anyone hating Texas based on their experience in Austin. It's the only place in the state that i could live in. Traffic is quite miserable on the 35 at rush hour, but otherwise, that place is wonderful.

And i agree that if Texans love electing the Rick Perry's of the world, then so be it. Apparently, they like that kind of leadership, so why should outsiders complain about it.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:51 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,013,981 times
Quote:
Texas will be a BLUE state in a few years. All this Republican drivel will dry up.
That is a pipe dream for Texas Liberals anyways.

Texas will at the very most become a swing state in the next 20 years due to an increasing minority population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies