Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,950,361 times

Advertisements

After reading some of the lefts comments and how they are making a direct comparison, I can't help but laugh... Are they REALLY that stupid to compare them? Or are they just that desperate?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,876,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
After reading some of the lefts comments and how they are making a direct comparison, I can't help but laugh... Are they REALLY that stupid to compare them? Or are they just that desperate?

I agree. Just as Romney said, the Olympians didn't get there on their own -the government helped.

Quote:
Romney later touted his efforts in his book about the Winter Olympics, “Turnaround,” writing that he directed his chief Washington lobbyist “to bring in more federal funding than had ever been appropriated for any Olympics, summer or winter.”
And he made his success in doing so a selling point when he ran for governor of Massachusetts in 2002. “I was successful in organizing the Olympics, got record funds from the federal government," he said then.
Salt Lake City Olympics earmarks a double-edged sword for Romney

Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,876,647 times
Romney used the government to build his Olympics. Could Romney have saved the 2002 Olympics on his own? If so, why didn't he?

Quote:
Is this a great country or what? A millionaire developer wants a road built, the federal government supplies the cash to construct it. A billionaire ski-resort owner covets a choice piece of public land. No problem. The federal government arranges for him to have it. Some millionaire businessmen stand to profit nicely if the local highway network is vastly improved. Of course. The federal government provides the money.
Quote:
How can you get yours, you ask? Easy. Just help your hometown land the Olympics. Then, when no one's looking, persuade the federal government to pay for a good chunk of the Games, including virtually any project to which the magic word Olympics can be attached.
Thanks to Utah politicians and the 2002 Olympics, a - 12.10.01 - SI Vault

Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,542,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
"Just go away"?

You wish.

If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.
I can handle heat, I can't handle sheep like you that just blindly follow Faux and moan about how Obama is taking away your American values and stutter all over yourselves when you can't give examples when challenged.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:50 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,950,361 times
[quote=jojajn;25307232]I agree. Just as Romney said, the Olympians didn't get there on their own -the government helped.

Yet another laughable comparison... You guys never fail to humor me....

Old 07-23-2012, 07:51 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,550,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not howling, but agreeing. I don't think he said anything wrong, but it seems you do not know how to react to this because his speech was same as Obamas and you already trashed Obama for crediting teachers. Your dilemma is how to applaud Romney for crediting a coach, while maintaining it was wrong for obama to credit a teacher. I am curious to see what you will come up with.

Not only are the two speeches apples, they are apples of same size, color and flavor.
Crediting teachers is fine but talking about roads and government is not. People pay for infrastructure all the time. People putting in sweat equity like teachers that go above and beyond their job is voluntary. I wish Obama could sort out the two. People don't ''OWE'' government a thing, we pay for it with taxes.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:52 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,550,665 times
[quote=freightshaker;25307421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I agree. Just as Romney said, the Olympians didn't get there on their own -the government helped.

Yet another laughable comparison... You guys never fail to humor me....
Did Romney say government helped? I don't think he did.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,228,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I can handle heat, I can't handle sheep like you that just blindly follow Faux and moan about how Obama is taking away your American values and stutter all over yourselves when you can't give examples when challenged.
When you find someone like that, let me know.

You're more likely to find a dimbulb who makes stupid statements that he can't substantiate. Just look in a mirror.

Carrying on a conversation with lefties is like shooting fish in a barrel,....they have so little to say, and take so long to say it.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,757,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Crediting teachers is fine but talking about roads and government is not. People pay for infrastructure all the time. People putting in sweat equity like teachers that go above and beyond their job is voluntary. I wish Obama could sort out the two. People don't ''OWE'' government a thing, we pay for it with taxes.
He didn't say anyone owed anything, like Romney didn't say the athletes owed him, or the American tax payers anything. Both politicians made the same points but it seems people are willing to spin one, and not the other. Not entirely honest, but what are you gonna do?

If Romney bragged about how he managed to milk more money out of the government than anyone, and that 80% of that money was NOT used for the Olympics, but building up the infrastructure for Mormon SLC, then I simply see him as another big spending hypocrite.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-23-2012 at 09:18 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 PM

894 posts, read 1,327,978 times
Right wing looks pretty foolish right about now, what a bunch of LOSERS.

Mitt is making this win for PRESIDENT OBAMA easier & easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies