Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Your friends are either exaggerating, or they're uninformed. Our system of government isn't perfect, of course, but there's still less corruption here than in most countries around the world.
Which is odd considering comparatively speaking it's ridiculously cheap to bribe officials here. In Russia it'll cost you several million to outright buy just an oblast-level minor administrator. Here, a few hundred thousand will get you a senator. I think it's because our politicians don't understand that as whores setting the going market rates is their responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 01:56 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
Trimac20, you could have stopped at professing your ignorance about American politics without having to prove it by slandering America, Republicans, and the US military.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 AM

27,146 posts, read 15,322,979 times
I'm proud of both sides of the aisle in this thread.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:08 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

What will happen if Romney actually does get elected?

I'm more worried about what will happen if Obama wins. Without the prospect of voting him out of office, the uber-right wing zealots who eat, live and breathe hatred and fear of Obama will be left with no other option than to get rid of him.

I'm afraid the relentless campaign of conspiracy theories and lies designed to delegitimize the President of the United States which has been waged for the past 4 years will find it's ultimate fruition if he wins a second term.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:16 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
There are plenty of regular Americans who are willing to overthrow the government if necessary, but the problem is we are so divided on political philosophies we could never agree on what path to take if we lost our Constitutional rights. For example, there are Americans willing to go to civil war over the First Amendment but not the Second Amendment, and vice-versa. You have militia-men and anarchists and everything in between who would be fighting for control, and it would get ugly. But man, if the Occupy crowd and the Tea Party crowd ever found common ground together, they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

I think any revolution in a country like ours would need to take place through change of consciousness, not armed warfare (which likely would not succeed anyway), but our history and people are too violent for that.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:32 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
There are plenty of regular Americans who are willing to overthrow the government if necessary, but the problem is we are so divided on political philosophies we could never agree on what path to take if we lost our Constitutional rights. For example, there are Americans willing to go to civil war over the First Amendment but not the Second Amendment, and vice-versa. You have militia-men and anarchists and everything in between who would be fighting for control, and it would get ugly. But man, if the Occupy crowd and the Tea Party crowd ever found common ground together, they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

I think any revolution in a country like ours would need to take place through change of consciousness, not armed warfare (which likely would not succeed anyway), but our history and people are too violent for that.
How are you gonna fight a war without The Militia (all the guns in private hands)???

Old 08-20-2012, 03:34 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Just what WILL it take for Americans with a conscience to rise up and literally kick them out of the Oval Office, Congress.etc?
What it will take has already happened in spades. Stay tuned for the November voter revolution.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:35 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
How are you gonna fight a war without The Militia (all the guns in private hands)???
Votes. Vote them all out.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:35 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post

The problem with our budding revolutionaries is that they can all tell you what they're against, but have trouble telling you what they're for. They can list the things about government they don't like, but don't have a clue about what they'd replace it with.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:39 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Votes. Vote them all out.
I agree I thought I heard Revolution/War
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies