Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Must confess things have changed a wee bit in the last 150 years.
Of course, so why do yourself a disservice and bring up that Jefferson Davis was a Democrat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 01:42 PM

170 posts, read 203,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How is that different from workers comp?

Also, instead of income, they should include assets in assessing whether or not someone qualifies.
Before you take money from me to 'survive,' sell all your stuff that you don't need.
Amazing how many welfare types I meet who have some really nice electronics.
I don't believe workers comp should exist either. Many people exploit it with fake injuries, but the lawyers always swoop in to try to help the claimant no matter the case, so I would think of it as insurance to protect employers from the vultures. At least the person was working. But people on welfare are useless to society and are just a liability to the rest of the 90% of the working population.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:42 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
fairly self-explanatory title.

why work if you can get the same or more on Welfare?

what is the incentive to get a job in this case?

what is the solution?
Why work? Dignity and self respect. The chance to start earning more. Minimum wage is a training wage the vast majority of the time and entry level jobs can sometimes translate into something more. But like I said I would always work rather than live off the teat of the government for self respect and dignity reasons.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:54 PM

109 posts, read 168,209 times
Usually people on welfare are on every other program there is available-foods stamps, medicaid, WIC, free housing, free electric. I know it sounds great for people to want to work-but working is no picnic. I have been working full time now for 20 years-it would be so nice to just do what I want and not have to work. For me though I don't have someone to help pay the bills nor do I want to live in free housing.....but I can see why people would not want to work-for me it has caused me numerous health problems and stress over the years.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny72 View Post
Usually people on welfare are on every other program there is available-foods stamps, medicaid, WIC, free housing, free electric. I know it sounds great for people to want to work-but working is no picnic. I have been working full time now for 20 years-it would be so nice to just do what I want and not have to work. For me though I don't have someone to help pay the bills nor do I want to live in free housing.....but I can see why people would not want to work-for me it has caused me numerous health problems and stress over the years.
Sounds like you need to give it a try, I bet you would have fun not being able to afford to put food on your table for you and your family. It sounds like an amazing easy life to live. Good to see you are sticking to blaming the poor for all our problems.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:27 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
some have said that people on welfare 'should' go out and get a job because it is more ethical, but what is their real incentive?

is there really the chance for promotion for the dishwashers of the world??
Promotion is earned by merit.

I would say many of us in our younger years did dirty jobs to get ahead. I did. No shame in it back then. I note the stigma now in working retail or franchise or security or construction. One has to be humble to work a dirty job. Too much arrogance in today's youth. I think the term used now is entitlement.

Last edited by Felix C; 08-27-2012 at 03:36 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 04:29 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:

what is the solution?
The solution is quite simple. Get rid of welfare and the minimum wage. Problem solved.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:04 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Promotion is earned by merit.

I would say many of us in our younger years did dirty jobs to get ahead. I did. No shame in it back then. I note the stigma now in working retail or franchise or security or construction. One has to be humble to work a dirty job. Too much arrogance in today's youth. I think the term used now is entitlement.
I agree with this.

entitlement does seem to be the key word here, not just for the poor but for the middle classes and above as well.

I see this as a by-product of the capitalist order - not necessarily a bad thing but we can easily see the problems it causes.

ie: arrogance, delusions of grandeur and excessive pride.

This needs to be dealt with.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times
Quote:

what is the solution?
Welfare is a fine example of camel's nose. Once you give government a little, they moved in in full force.

Welfare was sold as a temporary solution so the most unfortunate get some help so they can stand up and go to work again, but this turned into a permanent solution for most. Why wouldn't it? The welfare department has a lot of employees, if welfare is eliminated, these "jobs" will be eliminated too.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:17 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The incentive is to aquire a skill set or education that pays more than minimum wage or welfare, the truth is no one is living large on welfare. Should welfare be reformed so that some lazy healthy people are pushed off it, sure, but to think that the majority of people drawing it fall in that catagory is ludicrous.
That is not the truth. Perhaps you haven't spent enough time in lower income neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies