Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Promotion is earned by merit.

I would say many of us in our younger years did dirty jobs to get ahead. I did. No shame in it back then. I note the stigma now in working retail or franchise or security or construction. One has to be humble to work a dirty job. Too much arrogance in today's youth. I think the term used now is entitlement.
Not as many of those jobs exist anymore, though plenty of young people work in retail so I wouldn't consider that to be something the youth aren't doing.

Also another thing to keep in mind are those "first jobs" which are disappearing. When you go to the grocery store and they have a bunch of closed lanes and you are ringing up your own stuff at one of the do it yourself cashiers, then that should give you an idea of what is happening to those "first jobs" that the youth use to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,568 times
Default Welfare does pay less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
fairly self-explanatory title.

why work if you can get the same or more on Welfare?

what is the incentive to get a job in this case?

what is the solution?

At least in my situation, my Soc Sec. + disability pay = less than minimum wage. I hate to see nonsense saying someone bought a mansion with welfare cash.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Welfare is a fine example of camel's nose. Once you give government a little, they moved in in full force.

Welfare was sold as a temporary solution so the most unfortunate get some help so they can stand up and go to work again, but this turned into a permanent solution for most. Why wouldn't it? The welfare department has a lot of employees, if welfare is eliminated, these "jobs" will be eliminated too.
We actually don't have a stepping program that helps people step off welfare and back into the middle class. Our goal in our country should be to strengthen the middle class and those below the middle class are the best candidates to help reach a middle class level, but to do that we would need a better welfare program.

Currently you are either on some form of welfare or you are not, we need to have a set up where when you start making more money, you move up a step and receive less, then eventually you are on your own and apart of the middle class.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,569 times
let's say that Welfare were to be abolished entirely - what would happen?

what would stop the hordes of hustlers on the street corners, the roaming gangs and the destitute.

and would this really be an improvement?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,219 times
Having the will and the fortitude, to do something for yourself. Pride comes into my mind. Can't get ahead on welfare, but wait? those on welfare gaming the system, don't have plans of working.

Some do need assistance, no problem, but they get off when they find a decent paying job.

You can't get ahead on welfare, can't be promoted on welfare, what raise on welfare. But having pride in one's self, does come to mind, i would never ever be proud of the fact, that i was using the system, for my own self serving purpose.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,505,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
We actually don't have a stepping program that helps people step off welfare and back into the middle class. Our goal in our country should be to strengthen the middle class and those below the middle class are the best candidates to help reach a middle class level, but to do that we would need a better welfare program.

Currently you are either on some form of welfare or you are not, we need to have a set up where when you start making more money, you move up a step and receive less, then eventually you are on your own and apart of the middle class.
I agree with this statement. Welfare is usually an all or nothing thing. Why not gradually lower the benefits? In its current form there is no incentive to get a minimum wage job. As soon as you start the job, your struggling again. You'd be a fool to take that option.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I know. FDR was certainly no Conservative but even he didn't promote the idea that the world owes you a living. Now the idea of having to work for something, even the FDR type programs would be viewed as inhumane. How can anyone possibly expect the welfare recipients to get up out of bed or miss their favorite day time television to show up to work?

But yes, the FDR work programs weren't always filled with the most efficient workers, many just showed up and dawdled. Even that is better though for the human spirit than having nothing at all required of someone. There is something very positive about working for what you want. Conservatives didn't disapprove because of the work aspect, it was the big government aspect. I think everyone knows that some of the work projects actually accomplished some big things.

Kind of ironic -- today if someone suggested a work program like FDR had, the Conservatives would likely support it, the liberals would insist it is too cruel.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:41 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,505,334 times
Quote:

what would stop the hordes of hustlers on the street corners, the roaming gangs and the destitute.

I guarantee that if they end those benefits, crime would be terrible. People that called for its ending would demand it back.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:

You could easily abolish welfare as we know it. You could still make sure people have food. You could eliminate the whole food stamp program and since schools are now feeding centers as much as they are anything, you could just expand on that -- they already provide 2 free meals, just keep the cafeteria open until 6 or 7pm.

Welfare really has nothing to do with hordes of hustlers on street corners or roaming gangs. It doesn't prevent them if that's what you're suggesting.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,569 times
how about Workfare schemes?

ie: ones in which you have to work for your benefit money.

this turns the idea on its head a little, as you are still not earning your money as such.

surely pride comes from putting the bacon on the table, so how does workfare address this issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies