Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this a racist thing to say?
Yes 20 25.64%
No 58 74.36%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:51 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If an Asian or black woman said, 'I want to marry a white man because I think mixed kids look better.'

(this is something my sister actually said).

Do you think this is a racist thing to say?

I think it's at least somewhat racist, since it's suggesting one race, albeit not your own, is superior...but then again, you could say thinking whites look better is just an opinion, or a preference, but it's at least a grey area, would you agree?

I see nothing wrong with intermarrying, but I'm just thinking about the reasoning behind it.
Not racist. Just stupid. And she has a low opinion of herself and her parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 04:46 AM

42 posts, read 69,715 times
Yes it is racist. I have seen hispanic/ asian girls say it more than black girls tho, I have a few friends that sadly have this mentality and they also feel they are less attractive because they aren't white.

Last edited by cut3; 09-01-2012 at 05:59 AM..

Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cut3 View Post
Yes it is racist. I have seen hispanic/ asian girls say it more than black girls tho, I have a few friends that sadly have this mentality and they also feel they are less attractive because they aren't white.
Hispanic girls are often considered the most beautiful in the world, I mean look how often Venezeula wins Miss Universe.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:01 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,115 times
I voted "No" because everyone in this country seems to be too quick to call anyone or anything racist, especially if that person or thing happens to be acting in favor of the interests of whites.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 AM

876 posts, read 708,919 times
Quote:
If an Asian or black woman said, 'I want to marry a white man because I think mixed kids look better.'

I think it's at least somewhat racist, since it's suggesting one race, albeit not your own, is superior...but then again, you could say thinking whites look better is just an opinion, or a preference, but it's at least a grey area, would you agree?

I see nothing wrong with intermarrying, but I'm just thinking about the reasoning behind it.
Since racism is the belief that your race is better than another then it is not a racist statement. It seems that the mere mention of another race, now brings feelings of racism. Why jump to the conclusion constantly that speaking of another's race is automatically racism? Are we all just going around in our daily lives with our racism alerts in full effect? I am white, but I think that in general, Asian children are the cutest race of children in the world. I'm not going to go out and get me a Japanese husband because of that thought, though. But, is my statement racist?

Old 09-01-2012, 08:11 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,505 times
Quote:

its racism no matter how you look at it. once you decide witch two races make the best looking kids we can do away with the rest of races!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:16 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Not racist. Just stupid. And she has a low opinion of herself and her parents.
This is a good answer.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:20 AM

1,403 posts, read 937,455 times
Stupid. Yes. Racist.No.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:

I don't know whether it's racist or not but your sister is right. Eurasians are "generally speaking" very attractive people.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:20 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No different than someone saying they want to marry someone tall so they can have tall kids. Or someone smart so they can have smart kids.

Or smart or fat or big boobs or athletic, etc, etc.

How or why someone chooses a mate is nobody's business but their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies