Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:15 PM

1,196 posts, read 839,526 times

Advertisements

The empty chairs' house of cards is collapsing.

OBAMA DIDN'T SAVE DETROIT, JUST FIRED PLENTY OF PEOPLE

Obama had to fire thousands of these people, and reduce the benefits and pensions of those who were left. There's a lot of pissed off people in Michigan (and Wisconsin and Ohio), people who weren't saved even though the corporation was.Michael Moore: Obama Didn't Save Detroit, Just Fired Plenty of People
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 01:50 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
The empty chairs' house of cards is collapsing.

OBAMA DIDN'T SAVE DETROIT, JUST FIRED PLENTY OF PEOPLE

Obama had to fire thousands of these people, and reduce the benefits and pensions of those who were left. There's a lot of pissed off people in Michigan (and Wisconsin and Ohio), people who weren't saved even though the corporation was.Michael Moore: Obama Didn't Save Detroit, Just Fired Plenty of People
trouble in paradise. Alternate title: "the more you spend, the more you save."

Old 09-09-2012, 02:01 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
As usual, Moore is short on specifics. The majority of people in Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin, those who aren't already predisposed to argue otherwise, believe Obama saved the American auto industry and the jobs which go with it. And yes, Mike, I do live here.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:24 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
As usual, Moore is short on specifics. The majority of people in Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin, those who aren't already predisposed to argue otherwise, believe Obama saved the American auto industry and the jobs which go with it. And yes, Mike, I do live here.

I agree. I know a lot of auto workers and I don't know anyone of them who blames Obama for the fraction of jobs that were lost during the bankruptcy/downsizing of the number of plants and, in fact, they feel if he had not stepped in it would have been a blood bath of the entire whole industry, not just GM and Chrysler. Michigan is coming back. A lot of the displaced workers in our state had job retraining opportunities thanks to Jennifer Gramholm's 'No Worker Left Behind' program and are now finishing up their training and finding jobs in other industries. One of my neighbors, for example, lost her GM job and is now a vet tech thanks to stimulus money going into the NWLB program.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 09-09-2012 at 02:37 AM..

Old 09-09-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I agree. I know a lot of auto workers and I don't know anyone of them who blames Obama for the fraction of jobs that were lost during the bankruptcy and, in fact, they feel if he had not stepped in it would have been a blood bath of the entire whole industry, not just GM and Chrysler.
Yeah, because it's not only about those companies and workers, but the parts suppliers and other companies which are dependant on them, down to the bars & restaurants which rely on the workers to keep them in business. Sure there's Honda but...
More often as Moore keeps up his schtick it becomes obvious he's just using the proverbial plight of the downtrodden Midwesterner to gain attention, whether real or imagined. If the "Rust Belt" ever makes a true comeback, he'll be out of business.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:09 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Of course, the OP quotes the Breitbart article about the Moore article, not the Moore article itself, which only had a couple of sentences about Detroit.

The actual Moore piece was called "President Romney" - How to Prevent Those Two Words From Ever Being Spoken, which makes a minor point that Obama saved General Motors and Chrysler, not the people of Detroit. But the major point is that we shouldn't fire Obama and hire the guy who represents the elite minority.

The part Breitbart.com left out, which was most of Moore's point:
Quote:
There is no question in my mind that Obama is more popular than Romney and if everyone could vote from their couch like they do for American Idol, Obama would win hands down. As I have said before, we live in a liberal country. The majority of Americans (who do not call themselves "liberal") now support most of the liberal agenda -- they're for gay marriage, they're pro-choice, they're anti-war, they believe there's global warming, and they hate Wall Street for what it has done to them and their neighbors. [MOD CUT/copyright] . [/b]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-09-2012 at 05:29 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 05:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
I believe had Obama not acted by giving the Auto industry some major financial relief in the form of low interest loans there would be no American auto industry today,Which would equate to many auto and related jobs no longer in existence,

Old 09-09-2012, 05:39 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I believe had Obama not acted by giving the Auto industry some major financial relief in the form of low interest loans there would be no American auto industry today,Which would equate to many auto and related jobs no longer in existence,
That is factually correct.

The auto industry is not only GM, Ford, etc., it's also the supplier network, the parts makers, that feed the big assembly lines. The auto companies don't make the switched and seats, those are subcontracted.

If the auto companies were allowed to go under, the supply chain would follow. After that, the restaurants and delis that depend upon those jobs, creating a unemployment spiral.

Romney thinks like an accountant and that's why he favored a GM bankruptcy. It's the same accountant thinking that said spending a billion dollars to get one man (bin Laden) wasn't work the cost.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:38 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,262 times
Eh, I live in the Detroit/Dearborn area and it's going to take a lot more than Obama to fix this city. The problems of deep bureaucratic corruption and incredible inefficiency stem back decades

Throwing more money at the city wouldn't have really solved anything, the system needs to first be cleaned out from within

Old 09-09-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Eh, I live in the Detroit/Dearborn area and it's going to take a lot more than Obama to fix this city. The problems of deep bureaucratic corruption and incredible inefficiency stem back decades

Throwing more money at the city wouldn't have really solved anything, the system needs to first be cleaned out from within
Yeah, reading the Detroit forum that seems to be the consensus. In this case, "Detroit" represents the American auto industry as a whole, and not the city itself, though a stronger auto industry can only help the city at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies