Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:40 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If you read again I said King would NOT approve...King was the real deal- a man of conviction who was willing to give up his very life for what was good and true...I would speak for King because I took his advice and did not judge by the color of skin but by the character of the person...besides....look at Obama closely- He is not black - he is some strange eastern blend of some sort..What black genetics he has are not dominant...King on the other hand was a black man.
You can't even complete the paragraph without disproving how it began.

Go read Dr. Kings "Where do we go from here".

I actually think Trinity UCC is model of what Dr. King was preaching. Many of the things they do and are involved in are to confront the very issues that Dr. King was talking and writing about.
Quote:
King practiced the concepts of Jesus Christ best he could- as I mentioned...King knew he would be killed and he gave up his own life- Obama would not give up a pair of shoes for you...King was not blind ambition...Obama is all about ambition- He swaggers when he walks...he has unwarranted pride..being important is all important to him...King could move your very heart....The best Obama can do is tickle your ears with things you want to hear.

King believed in and trusted God- Obama only trusts himself...and he lives for himself- King lived for his nation- black and white. Obama has undone some of King's good work...He does not hold a candle to Doctor Martin Luther King. King was a man- this little guy is a common punk.
The following is almost of blue print of what Trinity UCC is attempting to achieve.

kpp01.stanford.edu/index.php/encyclopedia/documentsentry/where_do_we_go_from_here_delivered_at_the_11th_ann ual_sclc_convention/

Where do we go from here? First, we must massively assert our dignity and worth. We must stand up amid a system that still oppresses us and develop an unassailable and majestic sense of values. We must no longer be ashamed of being black. (All right) The job of arousing manhood within a people that have been taught for so many centuries that they are nobody is not easy.

Even semantics have conspired to make that which is black seem ugly and degrading. (Yes) In Roget's Thesaurus there are some 120 synonyms for blackness and at least sixty of them are offensive, such words as blot, soot, grim, devil, and foul. And there are some 134 synonyms for whiteness and all are favorable, expressed in such words as purity, cleanliness, chastity, and innocence. A white lie is better than a black lie. (Yes) The most degenerate member of a family is the "black sheep." (Yes) Ossie Davis has suggested that maybe the English language should be reconstructed so that teachers will not be forced to teach the Negro child sixty ways to despise himself, and thereby perpetuate his false sense of inferiority, and the white child 134 ways to adore himself, and thereby perpetuate his false sense of superiority. [applause] The tendency to ignore the Negro's contribution to American life and strip him of his personhood is as old as the earliest history books and as contemporary as the morning's newspaper. (Yes)

To offset this cultural homicide, the Negro must rise up with an affirmation of his own Olympian manhood. (Yes) Any movement for the Negro's freedom that overlooks this necessity is only waiting to be buried. (Yes) As long as the mind is enslaved, the body can never be free. (Yes) Psychological freedom, a firm sense of self-esteem, is the most powerful weapon against the long night of physical slavery. No Lincolnian Emancipation Proclamation, no Johnsonian civil rights bill can totally bring this kind of freedom. The Negro will only be free when he reaches down to the inner depths of his own being and signs with the pen and ink of assertive manhood his own emancipation proclamation. And with a spirit straining toward true self-esteem, the Negro must boldly throw off the manacles of self-abnegation and say to himself and to the world, "I am somebody. (Oh yeah) I am a person. I am a man with dignity and honor. (Go ahead) I have a rich and noble history, however painful and exploited that history has been. Yes, I was a slave through my foreparents (That’s right), and now I’m not ashamed of that. I'm ashamed of the people who were so sinful to make me a slave." (Yes sir) Yes [applause], yes, we must stand up and say, "I'm black (Yes sir), but I'm black and beautiful." (Yes) This [applause], this self-affirmation is the black man's need, made compelling (All right) by the white man's crimes against him. (Yes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Yes, this thread is absolutely about hating Obama and Democrats. Religion is just the weapon of choice to try to batter him bloody.

"protect Christians here"....I thought you were a resident and citizen of Canada? Do you vote here in the U.S.?

"protect Christians here" from what?
I think he is just choked because he can't use religion as a political weapon here in Canada...Nobody except the odd religious extremist cares about what religion a politician is, and that's the way it should be..

Old 09-12-2012, 05:12 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
James Hal Cones Black theology beliefs regarding Black Liberation Theology. Obama's church taught this Theology Reverend Wright believes in Black Liberation Theology. Obama sat and listened to this racist hate garbage for 20 years.

Black Theology and Black Power include these:
  • "Because white theology has consistently preserved the integrity of the community of oppressors, I conclude that it is not Christian theology at all."
  • "[i]nsofar as this country is seeking to make whiteness the dominating power throughout the world, whiteness is the symbol of the antichrist. Whiteness characterizes the activity of deranged individuals intrigued by their own image of themselves and thus unable to see that they are what is wrong with the world. Black theology seeks to analyze the satanic nature of whiteness and by doing so, prepare all nonwhites for revolutionary action."
  • "[L]iberal whites want to be white and Christian at the same time; but they fail to realize that this approach is a contradiction in terms -- Christianity and whiteness are opposites."
  • "Intrigued by their own expertise in Christian theology, white religionists think they have the moral and intellectual right to determine whether black churches are Christian. They fail to realize that their analysis of Christianity is inseparable from their oppressor mentality which shapes everything they say about God."
  • "There will be no peace in America until whites begin to hate their whiteness, asking from the depths of their being: 'How can we become black?'"
In his 1970 book A Black Theology of Liberation, Cone advanced the notion of a deity that sided with blacks, and against whites:
"Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the Black community. If God is not for us and against White people, then he is a murderer, and we had better kill him. The task of Black theology is to kill Gods who do not belong to the Black community ...Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white enemy. What we need is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of Black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love."

Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
James Hal Cones Black theology beliefs regarding Black Liberation Theology. Obama's church taught this Theology Reverend Wright believes in Black Liberation Theology. Obama sat and listened to this racist hate garbage for 20 years.

Black Theology and Black Power include these:
  • "Because white theology has consistently preserved the integrity of the community of oppressors, I conclude that it is not Christian theology at all."
  • "[i]nsofar as this country is seeking to make whiteness the dominating power throughout the world, whiteness is the symbol of the antichrist. Whiteness characterizes the activity of deranged individuals intrigued by their own image of themselves and thus unable to see that they are what is wrong with the world. Black theology seeks to analyze the satanic nature of whiteness and by doing so, prepare all nonwhites for revolutionary action."
  • "[L]iberal whites want to be white and Christian at the same time; but they fail to realize that this approach is a contradiction in terms -- Christianity and whiteness are opposites."
  • "Intrigued by their own expertise in Christian theology, white religionists think they have the moral and intellectual right to determine whether black churches are Christian. They fail to realize that their analysis of Christianity is inseparable from their oppressor mentality which shapes everything they say about God."
  • "There will be no peace in America until whites begin to hate their whiteness, asking from the depths of their being: 'How can we become black?'"
In his 1970 book A Black Theology of Liberation, Cone advanced the notion of a deity that sided with blacks, and against whites:
"Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the Black community. If God is not for us and against White people, then he is a murderer, and we had better kill him. The task of Black theology is to kill Gods who do not belong to the Black community ...Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white enemy. What we need is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of Black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love."
First off that second excerpt is wrong. Dr. Cone did not write that. The following is what he wrote from 2 different sections of the book. The words in [] are missing from the quote you provided. The words in [] to not appear in the original book. Some of the missing words and alterations I think are quite telling about the motivation of the people disseminating the bad quote.

"Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the Black community. If God is not for us[,if God is not] [and] against white [racists] [people], then [God] [he] is a murderer, and we had better kill [God] [him]. The task of Black theology is to kill gods [that] [who] do not belong to the Black community
Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white [oppressor] [enemy]. What we need is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of black[s] [people] to destroy their oppressors[,] here and now[,] by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love."

I don't know how valid the quotes before that are, but when Dr. Cone uses words like whiteness he is referring to things like white supremacy. When he refers to white theology he is referring to the belief that those of European descent are superior to those who are not. Most of the references to white and black are not referring to skin pigmentation.

So if you are of European descent and have embraced the concept that all be people are equal then you have embraced your blackness. I know it really messes with some peoples minds to hear the word white associated with things bad and the word black associated with good things, but that is how Dr. Cone uses the words.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
First off that second excerpt is wrong. Dr. Cone did not write that. The following is what he wrote from 2 different sections of the book. The words in [] are missing from the quote you provided. The words in [] to not appear in the original book. Some of the missing words and alterations I think are quite telling about the motivation of the people disseminating the bad quote.

"Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the Black community. If God is not for us[,if God is not] [and] against white [racists] [people], then [God] [he] is a murderer, and we had better kill [God] [him]. The task of Black theology is to kill gods [that] [who] do not belong to the Black community
Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white [oppressor] [enemy]. What we need is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of black[s] [people] to destroy their oppressors[,] here and now[,] by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love."

I don't know how valid the quotes before that are, but when Dr. Cone uses words like whiteness he is referring to things like white supremacy. When he refers to white theology he is referring to the belief that those of European descent are superior to those who are not. Most of the references to white and black are not referring to skin pigmentation.

So if you are of European descent and have embraced the concept that all be people are equal then you have embraced your blackness. I know it really messes with some peoples minds to hear the word white associated with things bad and the word black associated with good things, but that is how Dr. Cone uses the words.

Reverend Wright says that rich whites are the oppressors. Those who create that tax base so we all can have a decent infrastructure.

Cone says we have to deny our whiteness.. this guy is a kook Reverend Wright saying god Damn America and he means the country that is mostly white.

White is the symbol of the anti-christ. Really crazy teachings.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Reverend Wright says that rich whites are the oppressors. Those who create that tax base so we all can have a decent infrastructure.

Cone says we have to deny our whiteness.. this guy is a kook Reverend Wright saying god Damn America and he means the country that is mostly white.

White is the symbol of the anti-christ. Really crazy teachings.
In Dr. Cones terminology whiteness is about white supremacy. Are you in favor of white supremacy? If not then you have denied your whiteness (in Dr. Cones terminology).

Rev. Wright meant that God would condemn certain actions of the U.S. Government. Rev. Wright was not pleading for God to destroy American in some act of ritualistic suicide in which blacks would be eliminated along with whites.

Rich people of any color can use their wealth in oppressive ways. The gospels are full of such references. Is Christianity therefore anti-rich?

Are the rich going to build the infrastructure all by themselves, I don't think so. The capitalist system requires both capital and labor.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 PM

592 posts, read 414,801 times
Black Liberation Theology my ass! Christianity existed long before America was even discovered. Cone is a liar and a devil!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
Black Liberation Theology my ass! Christianity existed long before America was even discovered. Cone is a liar and a devil!
And Liberation Theology existed long before America.

Rev. Wright at the National Press Club:

In the late 1960s, when Dr. James Cone's powerful books burst onto the scene, the term "black liberation theology" began to be used. I do not in any way disagree with Dr. Cone, nor do I in any way diminish the inimitable and incomparable contributions that he has made and that he continues to make to the field of theology. Jim, incidentally, is a personal friend of mine.

I call our faith tradition, however, the prophetic tradition of the black church, because I take its origins back past Jim Cone, past the sermons and songs of Africans in bondage in the transatlantic slave trade. I take it back past the problem of Western ideology and notions of white supremacy.

I take and trace the theology of the black church back to the prophets in the Hebrew Bible and to its last prophet, in my tradition, the one we call Jesus of Nazareth.
The prophetic tradition of the black church has its roots in Isaiah, the 61st chapter, where God says the prophet is to preach the gospel to the poor and to set at liberty those who are held captive. Liberating the captives also liberates who are holding them captive.

It frees the captives and it frees the captors. It frees the oppressed and it frees the oppressors.
The prophetic theology of the black church, during the days of chattel slavery, was a theology of liberation. It was preached to set free those who were held in bondage spiritually, psychologically, and sometimes physically. And it was practiced to set the slaveholders free from the notion that they could define other human beings or confine a soul set free by the power of the gospel.
The prophetic theology of the black church during the days of segregation, Jim Crow, lynching, and the separate-but-equal fantasy was a theology of liberation.

It was preached to set African-Americans free from the notion of second-class citizenship, which was the law of the land. And it was practiced to set free misguided and miseducated Americans from the notion that they were actually superior to other Americans based on the color of their skin. The prophetic theology of the black church in our day is preached to set African-Americans and all other Americans free from the misconceived notion that different means deficient.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:44 AM

“What we need,” says Cone, “is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of Black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love.” Observing that America was founded for white people, Cone calls for “the destruction of whiteness, which is the source of human misery in the world.” He advocates the use of Marxism as a tool of social analysis to help Christians to see "how things really are."

Another prominent exponent of black liberation theology is the Ivy League professor Cornel West, who calls for "a serious dialogue between Black theologians and Marxist thinkers" -- a dialogue that centers on the possibility of "mutually arrived-at political action."

Black liberation theology entered the public consciousness in 2008 when the media focused on the racist sermons of Barack Obama’s minister Jeremiah Wright, a strong adherent of the movement.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
“What we need,” says Cone, “is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of Black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love.”
Here is the quote from Dr. Cone's book.

"Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white oppressor. What we need is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of blacks to destroy their oppressors, here and now, by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love."

Are you disagreeing? Must people of African descent remain in an oppressed state?

Quote:
Observing that America was founded for white people,
Which is what the United States Supreme court declared in the Dred Scott decision.
Quote:
Cone calls for “the destruction of whiteness, which is the source of human misery in the world.” He advocates the use of Marxism as a tool of social analysis to help Christians to see "how things really are."
Do you understand the difference between a tool of analysis and implementation of a Marxist government. Dr. Cone has written that he doesn't believe in implementing a Marxist government for the very practical reason that he has never seen one that has worked.
Quote:
Another prominent exponent of black liberation theology is the Ivy League professor Cornel West, who calls for "a serious dialogue between Black theologians and Marxist thinkers" -- a dialogue that centers on the possibility of "mutually arrived-at political action."

Black liberation theology entered the public consciousness in 2008 when the media focused on the racist sermons of Barack Obama’s minister Jeremiah Wright, a strong adherent of the movement.
Rev. Wright's sermons did not advocate the superiority of any race and therefore by definition are not racist.

Dr. King also contemplated Marxism and found aspects valuable, but in the end rejected it. Just like Dr. Cone.

“Where Do We Go From Here?,” Delivered at the 11th Annual SCLC Convention

I want to say to you as I move to my conclusion, as we talk about "Where do we go from here?" that we must honestly face the fact that the movement must address itself to the question of restructuring the whole of American society. (Yes) There are forty million poor people here, and one day we must ask the question, "Why are there forty million poor people in America?" And when you begin to ask that question, you are raising a question about the economic system, about a broader distribution of wealth. When you ask that question, you begin to question the capitalistic economy. (Yes) And I'm simply saying that more and more, we've got to begin to ask questions about the whole society. We are called upon to help the discouraged beggars in life's marketplace. (Yes) But one day we must come to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring. (All right) It means that questions must be raised. And you see, my friends, when you deal with this you begin to ask the question, "Who owns the oil?" (Yes) You begin to ask the question, "Who owns the iron ore?" (Yes) You begin to ask the question, "Why is it that people have to pay water bills in a world that's two-thirds water?" (All right) These are words that must be said. (All right)
Now, don't think you have me in a bind today. I'm not talking about communism. What I'm talking about is far beyond communism. (Yeah) My inspiration didn't come from Karl Marx (Speak); my inspiration didn't come from Engels; my inspiration didn't come from Trotsky; my inspiration didn't come from Lenin. Yes, I read Communist Manifesto and Das Kapital a long time ago (Well), and I saw that maybe Marx didn't follow Hegel enough. (All right) He took his dialectics, but he left out his idealism and his spiritualism. And he went over to a German philosopher by the name of Feuerbach, and took his materialism and made it into a system that he called "dialectical materialism." (Speak) I have to reject that.
What I'm saying to you this morning is communism forgets that life is individual. (Yes) Capitalism forgets that life is social. (Yes, Go ahead) And the kingdom of brotherhood is found neither in the thesis of communism nor the antithesis of capitalism, but in a higher synthesis. (Speak) [applause] It is found in a higher synthesis (Come on) that combines the truths of both. (Yes) Now, when I say questioning the whole society, it means ultimately coming to see that the problem of racism, the problem of economic exploitation, and the problem of war are all tied together. (All right) These are the triple evils that are interrelated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies