Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Not nice. This is theft as well as a potential threat to his health, depending on his health status. If he is a horse's azs, then what are you?
A guy braying in uncontrolled laughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 PM

635 posts, read 539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Received a brochure two weeks ago from FPL that smart meters would be installed 'soon'. Went grocery shopping a day last week and when I entered the house, saw 5 clocks blinking. Went out the garage side door and saw that the meter was installed when I was out of the house. Not even a notice on my front door that it was installed. Meter made by GE. I was thinking, Wow what a contract they got.
But then I also thought about the thousands of meter readers that have lost or will be losing their job.
And what happens to the hundreds of millions of dollars the electric companies will not be paying out in salaries. Do we get a rate reduction?
They're corporations, they'll ********* over as much as possible, your PUC might (unlike ours in California) actually be on your side, and not the corporation's, look into it.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
You can't stop progress people. There is no good reason to avoid a smart meter, the decisions have been made to move the companies in that direction and that's how it's going to be.

In my area of CA there is a SEPERATE program for the cycling off/on of AC during times of high use. It's an opt in that they give you a $ credit for, it's also an opt out online whenever you want. I opted in years ago and got my credit, when my AC was serviced recently (blown fuse turns out) my guy disconnected the unit. It never caused me any harm while I had it, was never used to turn off my AC, but now it's just a fany decoration on my fan unit and it doesn't bother me whether it's active or not. It just happens to be NOT...haha. And I have said this before...the utility company already has the power to cut you off, all they have to do is shut down the grid. Do they do that to you often? If not, why worry?

Personally I'm way more upset about the digital conversion by the cable companies. My 80+ yr old parents just want to watch tv on their little 13" crt sets they've had for 20 years and it's getting more and more challenging for them to figure it all out. They have lost channels, they have lost more channels, now they need a converter with a seperate remote and wires sticking out everywhere and have to pay more money for less stations. It's really frustrating and expensive for them.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Do you anti-smart meter people have any idea how much it will cost you if your utility has to expand a nuclear power plant to compensate for your wasteful ways? Or build a new coal or natural gas plant?

They want payback on their investment within 10 years and they aren't going to get that through elec rates alone. You will be paying surcharges. I would cooperate with any effort they put forth to save energy.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:08 PM

472 posts, read 740,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My neighbor was a horse's a** that nobody could stand. He would call the city and complain about anything that he didn't like.

Too bad for him I work for the utility and have a transmitter that I could cycle his AC whenever I wanted. It's like a remote control. So I would constantly cycle his AC compressor when it was hot. I bet he spend hundreds on HVAC guys until he had the company come out and remove it.

Thank God he moved away.
What an arrogant horse's ass. And you wonder why people distrust public utilities.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:21 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Does anyone have a list of states in which smart meters are being installed, and whether there is an opt-out option in each state?
Maybe this article will get you started.
Five New England states land $226M for smart meters - Mass High Tech Business News

Quote:
In all, ten companies across five New England States received $225.6 million in funding announced Tuesday by President Barack Obama at an event in Florida. Some $3.4 billion in smart grid grants were funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
These are being installed all across the country. You'd have to do some research to find out if you can delay installation in your area.

No More Privacy: Smart Meters Are Surveillance Devices That Monitor The Behavior In Your Home Every Single Minute Of Every Single Day

Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Maybe this article will get you started.
Five New England states land $226M for smart meters - Mass High Tech Business News

These are being installed all across the country. You'd have to do some research to find out if you can delay installation in your area.

No More Privacy: Smart Meters Are Surveillance Devices That Monitor The Behavior In Your Home Every Single Minute Of Every Single Day
Oh my, another conspiracy theory for you....You should warn people so we can be sure to have our protective tinfoil hats ready....

Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr
Wow. Well after seeing the public hearings on this from CA, nothing surprises me. Welcome to corporate fascism.
I feel quite sad for her but IM GLAD SHE IS STANDING UP TO THESE SCUMBAGS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan
In Austin the utility company is turning off people's AC during certain times of the day.
On guy on the Austin forum said he came home and the house was 89 degrees and his AC was off.
Smart meter of course.
He should get an OLDER AIR CONDITIONER THAT THEY CANT CONTROL!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:27 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Smart meters are awesome. I can't wait for them to start showing up locally.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:46 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
You cant be serious!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies