Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 05:33 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well the topic is interesting because just the day before I was looking at the Prius C and thinking that it was actually a car I could be interested in if it weren't for the fact that I'm a dedicated AWD car buyer. But then it also dawned on me that we live in one of the only homes with off street parking so the question became, how would we charge a car like the Volt? Where would someone who lived in Center City Philadelphia charge their car (off street parking there is as rare as a hounds tooth)? So it becomes apparent that electric cars for city folks just aren't ready for prime time.

But on the other hand, I remember when window unit air conditioners were the size of small refrigerators or when a color TV cost as much as a car and there wasn't much color programing to watch even if you had one. So my position on the Volt is like anything technological, early adapters pay the high cost of innovation, its always been that way and there is always someone willing to pay a premium for the newest and I'm glad that GM is one of the first to produce such a vehicle regardless of its impracticality for most car buyers. And who knows what 10 years of production will come up with.

PS - 2001 Subaru Outback with 75,000 miles. I am a heavy user of commuter rail, walking and my bicycle. If I had the cash and the Volt was AWD, I'd buy one. Hell I'd might have bought one even if it didn't have AWD if I had the cash.
Here in NYC there are charging stations.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 05:37 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
The brain surgeons and Al Gores of the world who continue to luduicrously push cars like these are too dense to realize that it is a mortal lock that your electric bill will skyrocket (assuming you live in a home or a condo) as your gasoline usage declines.

How is that supposed to save you any money?

Furthermore, GM is not in a sound financial condition at all, and cannot really afford to make these cars for a profit.

Bribing people via multi-thousand dollar rebates in order to buy a car which the marketplace has unequivocally rejected is downright stupid.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Can only drive it 25 miles and need a charge.. now where can I plug in my car ?
I'm not sure you understand how the Volt works. After driving down the batteries you don't need a charge.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
These types of cars, as well as smart cars, are perfect for someone living in a city. Don't know why people look down on them so much
It's just politics 24/7.

Virtually every car maker is getting into the EV market, from BMW to Toyota.

The critics make me think of the old guys hanging out at the livery stable scoffing at the idea that some machine could replace horses.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Here in NYC there are charging stations.
Very cool..

Old 09-28-2012, 07:34 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Chevy Volt Sales Rising-Not Really -Would you buy one?

No.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:36 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post

Furthermore, GM is not in a sound financial condition at all, and cannot really afford to make these cars for a profit.

They don't need to make a profit. Obama has bailed them out and our tax dollars are being used to subsidize these useless cars.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:38 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It's just politics 24/7.

Virtually every car maker is getting into the EV market, from BMW to Toyota.

The critics make me think of the old guys hanging out at the livery stable scoffing at the idea that some machine could replace horses.
Would they be doing so without taxpayer money being thrown at them?....no

Old 09-28-2012, 08:02 PM

32,076 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Can only drive it 25 miles and need a charge.. now where can I plug in my car ? Wonder why Obama doesn't have a bunch of chevy volts in his motorcade .. it is called practice what you preach.
Like I've said in other threads, we are leasing a Volt which is very inexpensive. My husband drives 40 miles a day to downtown DC and back. His old car got horrible mileage and we were paying a fortune for gas. We've had the volt for a while now and he hasn't filled up the gas tank yet.
How the volt works is that the gas engine is just a generator for making electricity once the battery is depleted. He gets home and plugs in and we haven't really seen much of an increase in our electric bill. It may not be for everyone but it's saves us so much money is gas.
You can make fun of it all you want but to say that you can only drive 25 miles and need a charge just shows your lack of education about it

Old 09-28-2012, 08:08 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
I wouldn't even consider the volt. It is an over priced under performing piece of pork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies