Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Where's FEMA?????
Hillary begged Obama for more FEMA support in Hoboken, NJ weeks before Sandy hit but Obama personally denied the request. Sounds just like Benghazi, eh? Make hay, repubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If an area is historically prone to flooding, why do they need to be forcefully told to move?
You can't seriously believe that these people didn't hear on the radio, TV, internet or from friends that there was a major storm coming.

How would people remaining in the basement or first floor assist/support those living above?
I don't understand the logic here.
I'm in agreement with you--but, people are incredibly stubborn, money and logistics are often a factor, and, as Irene was 'over hyped' as some may suggest, you go through the 'boy that cried wolf' syndrome. In addition, I'm assuming most NYers probably have never lived through a legitimate intense hurricane to understand the unpredictability of weather and real potential for severe damage and harm. I lived through Katrina and a series of hurricanes in Miami--experience taught me to prepare for the worst, knowing the uncertainty with these kinds of storms.

Not sure if you read correctly-the Mayor required an evacuation of individuals living in basement and first floor units only, I don't understand the rationale. Leaving folks stranded in higher floors or units, and, not requiring everyone in the area to leave, (considering all other areas in the region were requiring forced evacuations of low-lying areas), makes little sense.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
No it doesn't sound anything like Benghazi. We didn't hire AQ boys to start a hurricane.

I ask again where's FEMA???

Old 11-01-2012, 12:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
I'm in agreement with you--but, people are incredibly stubborn, money and logistics are often a factor, and, as Irene was 'over hyped' as some may suggest, you go through the 'boy that cried wolf' syndrome. In addition, I'm assuming most NYers probably have never lived through a legitimate intense hurricane to understand the unpredictability of weather and real potential for severe damage and harm. I lived through Katrina and a series of hurricanes in Miami--experience taught me to prepare for the worst, knowing the uncertainty with these kinds of storms.

Not sure if you read correctly-the Mayor required an evacuation of individuals living in basement and first floor units only, I don't understand the rationale. Leaving folks stranded in higher floors or units, and, not requiring everyone in the area to leave, (considering all other areas in the region were requiring forced evacuations of low-lying areas), makes little sense.
I've been through Cat 4/5 typhoons when I lived in Asia, too.
I'd rather be prepared than unprepared.
I currently live in Europe and still have a wind up radio, candles and a water filter as part of my regular "storm kit".
Basically, people are idiots and whine about it. But I really don't think a majority of US citizens are very smart or can use critical thinking skills. The average IQ in the US is, I believe, 97.

For your second paragraph, I read where there was mandatory evacuation of basement and first floor apartments due to projected flooding. Other people were welcome to evacuate; if my neighbors were being evacuated, do you think I'd stay? No one left those folks stranded, they stranded themselves.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:11 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Where's FEMA?????

you do understand that the state has to ask for help 1st. then fema just coordinates federal services and contractors to the areas that they are needed.
people should be relying on themselves for now.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:27 AM

What? They have been told all this time that big bro gubmnt will take care of em and now you expect them to fend for themselves? Why that can't be so. Where's FEMA???

I remember another hurricane where that is all I heard from a certain group. Where's FEMA........Where's FEMA. Well now I hear crickets. Why is that? Get these useful idiots some help so they can get out and vote at least. lol

Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
What? They have been told all this time that big bro gubmnt will take care of em and now you expect them to fend for themselves? Why that can't be so. Where's FEMA???

I remember another hurricane where that is all I heard from a certain group. Where's FEMA........Where's FEMA. Well now I hear crickets. Why is that? Get these useful idiots some help so they can get out and vote at least. lol

heck, these useful idiots cant even defend themselves from the looters. start killing some looters and see the looters disappear.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:31 AM

Hang em from the lamp posts with signs on em like the old west and like you say looting will end post haste.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:32 AM

Actually now that I think about the useful idiots and voting I'm sure FEMA will be setting up polling stations before they will shelters for those in need. Gotta get out the vote baby!!

Old 11-01-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Hang em from the lamp posts with signs on em like the old west and like you say looting will end post haste.

very true.

I do remember 1 looter getting shot when hurricane andrew blew through homestead florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies