Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:36 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Hoboken Demograpics:

97%- white
51% -ages 20-34
77% -renters
Hoboken is not 97 percent white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Some people will always complain that the government isn't doing enough. I know people who are stranded in Hoboken right now, the last thing on their mind is complaining about the government.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:43 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I haven't found really good information...have most of the floodwaters drained from streets in the city yet? Are things passable? I hope it's not like NOLA where the whole city is below sea level and stays flooded for weeks.

In parts it's draining, but the water is now polluted with sewage and fuel. And, if I heard right, there is now natural gas bubbling all over the place from broken gas lines.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:46 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,332,501 times
Not everyone can afford to spend the equivalent of a months' rent for a week at a hotel. Not everyone has a relatives' pad in Kentucky where they can crash for the week. Try stepping out of your own experience and understanding the lives of others before ye judge, eh?

Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Your post made me really smile As an atheist, I can just imagine Noah, a hard working man
who knew a storm was coming, and others simply felt, why bother....

In all seriousness, we shouldn't be building on barrier islands anymore, and what happens in
NYC with that many people - it's expected.

Bad weather happens everywhere. Being from the gulf coast, it's a crying experience -
but let's learn from it....

Oh, and it's good to finally see our national guard troops at home - where they belong
doing the "job" they were meant to do...
And if it happened today- Obama would be trying to tax Noah for being "wealthy" enough to own a big boat, the environmentalists would be taking Noah to court for using too much wood, Eric Holder would be suing Noah for not taking enough black people on the boat, and we would have tons of c-d posts about evil Noah who got "handed his big boat on a silver platter." And then Obama would go on TV and say, "If you've got an ark, you didn't build that yourself."

Government regulations wouldn't allow his big boat to sail, so we would all drown.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
And if it happened today- Obama would be trying to tax Noah for being "wealthy" enough to own a big boat, the environmentalists would be taking Noah to court for using too much wood, Eric Holder would be suing Noah for not taking enough black people on the boat, and we would have tons of c-d posts about evil Noah who got "handed his big boat on a silver platter." And then Obama would go on TV and say, "If you've got an ark, you didn't build that yourself."

Government regulations wouldn't allow his big boat to sail, so we would all drown.

Too funny! Tried to rep you, but must spread the love around.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Hoboken is not 97 percent white.
Thank you for the correction.For the life of me I cannot locate the link I used. Subsequent searches shows the population has increased about 30% in the past decade. It is still predominately white, young and renting:

This shows 81%:

Hoboken, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CD is showing 71%

http://www.city-data.com/city/Hoboken-New-Jersey.html

Here's one that shows 82%
City of Hoboken, NJ » Hoboken Demographic Information

This one shows 74%
New Jersey QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 11-01-2012, 08:19 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
What does FEMA stand for totally? I got the Federal Emergency??? Association. What is the "M"??
Management.

Which in itself is a joke.

And Agency.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I haven't found really good information...have most of the floodwaters drained from streets in the city yet? Are things passable? I hope it's not like NOLA where the whole city is below sea level and stays flooded for weeks.

Many streets are still flooded because Hoboken is below sea level. It floods there every time it rains. I remember reading that it started flooding there Sunday night, before it had started raining, no doubt because the water table started rising with the tides. Pretty much all of the bodies of water in NJ are tidal from the marshes to the rivers.
It will take some time to get things back to "normal."

Old 11-01-2012, 08:26 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Not everyone can afford to spend the equivalent of a months' rent for a week at a hotel. Not everyone has a relatives' pad in Kentucky where they can crash for the week. Try stepping out of your own experience and understanding the lives of others before ye judge, eh?
Your Homeowners' policy has an automatic emergency living expense rider. It's a % of your total policy and is payable immediately, upon proof of rent/lease agreement. It supposed to cover the insured for up to 6 months emergency living.

Try research before you judge. It's helpful to know this stuff if you ever have an emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies