Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Actually, Jesus didn't wait on Caesar to heal people. He went out and did it himself. I think he would expect Christians to help people who can't afford care and not want us to sit on our butts and wait for Obama to help people.

Matthew 25:37-40, NIV: Then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? The King will reply, "I tell you the truth whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

Notice the word, "you" in the passage above. He didn't say pay burdensome taxes and let Caesar do it. He said YOU are responsible for helping others, not the government.
If you remember, we have a representative government - we ARE the government. So, we are Caesar. If we are voting for our government (of the people, for the people, and by the people) to NOT help the people, then are we truly following the teachings of Jesus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You seem to think caring involves robbing from Peter to pay Paul,coincidently mittens and Obama agree with you
I don't wish the man or his daughter any ill will and hope she gets the care she needs.
My biggest wish is that the government get out of healthcare so we can all get the best possible,without having to pay an arm and a leg or be beholden to insurance and pharmaceutical co's.
How will we have any cheaper healthcare when there is no regulations with the govt out?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:28 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
If you remember, we have a representative government - we ARE the government. So, we are Caesar. If we are voting for our government (of the people, for the people, and by the people) to NOT help the people, then are we truly following the teachings of Jesus?
that's an interesting point. I didn't think of it from that angle.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It takes more than a concerned expression or empty promise for me to believe somebody cares.
In other words a persons actions.
Speaking of, are you aware of how many women and children Obama has murdered with drone strikes?
Oh but he cares so much for this mans child lol.
I am not aware at all. Please give us facts on how many women and kids he has killed with drones.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I am not aware at all. Please give us facts on how many women and kids he has killed with drones.
Really? Where have you been?

I'm not arguing right or wrong, but there has been a surge in using drones to take out taliban\al queda guys and frankly they are often surrounded by immediate family etc etc. The link cites that they kill about 50 people for every high value target. The hellfire missle packs something like 65lbs of explosives...ouch.

Quote:
"TBIJ reports that from June 2004 through mid-September 2012, available data indicate that drone strikes killed 2,562 - 3,325 people in Pakistan, of whom 474 - 881 were civilians, including 176 children. TBIJ reports that these strikes also injured an additional 1,228 - 1,362 individuals," according to the Stanford/NYU study.
Drone strikes kill, maim and traumatize too many civilians, U.S. study says - CNN.com

Roughly 80-90% of the drone strikes occurred in more recent years as they have ramped up the attacks but they were going on during the Bush administration as well.

Not a big shock though. Obama hasn't changed foreign policy one bit from his predecessor.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
When it comes down to it, Harrier, I don't believe that private charities alone can handle that kind of case load. That's the crux of our disagreement.

Private charities definitely have advantages over govt. programs--a more relational approach, for example. But it's naive to assume that private individuals and charities simply have millions lying around waiting to help people's medical bills. I know I don't have 500k in my account, and neither do most people.

Another crux is a basic beef I have with conservatives: They only scream that taxes are "theft" when those taxes are used to help their fellow citizens, but it's perfectly fine to use those taxes when starting wars overseas--which actually kill people and destroy lives. And then they have the audacity to claim that they're "pro-life". Whatever. Even when I was a conservative, it never occurred to me to complain about my taxes being used to help someone--let alone a child--get well.

Are there charities that could help? Certainly a few. Can they do as extensive a job as the government in ensuring that no one is turned away? Not likely.
Excellent post. I agree that so many are claiming theft and then shut up and enjoy when they get something for them from the govt.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Really? Where have you been?

I'm not arguing right or wrong, but there has been a surge in using drones to take out taliban\al queda guys and frankly they are often surrounded by immediate family etc etc. The link cites that they kill about 50 people for every high value target. The hellfire missle packs something like 65lbs of explosives...ouch.

Drone strikes kill, maim and traumatize too many civilians, U.S. study says - CNN.com

Roughly 80-90% of the drone strikes occurred in more recent years as they have ramped up the attacks but they were going on during the Bush administration as well.

Not a big shock though. Obama hasn't changed foreign policy one bit from his predecessor.
I agree with that. Those civilians were associating with the enemy. I assumed that Americans would rather have Taliban assoc. taken out over risking our own people. As you said the same during Bush.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:52 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There was that little engagement in Iraq.......
That was started by Saddam Hussein who refused to co-operate with U.N. weapons inspectors. The entire world knew that Saddam Hussein and Iraq had WMD - we knew going back to the end of the Gulf War. Politicians from both sides in the U.S.A. publicly stated that he did. A U.N. resolution required that Saddam Hussein dispose of his WMD arsenal or face reprisals. The inspectors were not their on a "treasure hunt" - Saddam Hussien was required to account for the weapons.

In a post 9/11 world, especially with al-Qaeda being active in Iraq, we could not afford to allow that arsenal to exist. President Bush organized a coalition and garnered U.N. support for an invasion - and the coalition went in. By the time they got there the weapons were gone. Where did they go? Saddam Hussein had plenty of warning since we had to pussyfoot around to satisfy the Democrats who insisted on risking our national security so that they could attack a Republican president. A senior Iraqi Air Force officer stated that he saw the weapons being shipped across the border to Syria.

Saddam Husein could have avoided that invasion - but his actions precipitated it. He is responsible, just as he was responsible for gassing the Kurds, murdering, torturing, and raping his own people, oppressing women, and being a bully in a sensitive geopolitical area - the Middle East.

Iraq was liberated, improved, democratized, and the world is safer because of that and Saddam Hussein is now dead.

I will not allow Democratic revisionist history to stand or go unchallenged on this topic when I encounter it.

Want to supply another war - the causes for which you need me to explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You'll find no Republican will touch that with a ten-foot pole.
I just did.

Last edited by Harrier; 11-05-2012 at 02:06 PM..

Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
You seem to forget that our government is limited by the Constitution - and the New Testament teaches us to submit to the government. Since we are all the government - we must adhere to the overriding law of the land - the Constitution.

John Adams said this -

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."

I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted… | Founders' Quotes

Don't you think that John Adam's opinions holds considerable weight?

If you want the government to confiscate money and redistribute it to help people do things that they should do themselves - then the constitution must be amended.

Otherwise - you are advocating for violating the supreme law of the land - and no longer abiding with New Testament teachings.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That was started by Saddam Hussein who refused to co-operate with U.N. weapons inspectors. The entire world knew that Saddam Hussein and Iraq had WMD - we knew going back to the end of the Gulf War. Politicians from both sides in the U.S.A. publicly stated that he did. A U.N. resolution required that Saddam Hussein dispose of his WMD arsenal or face reprisals. The inspectors were not their on a "treasure hunt" - Saddam Hussien was required to account for the weapons.

In a post 9/11 world, especially with al-Qaeda being active in Iraq, we could not afford to allow that arsenal to exist. President Bush organized a coalition and garnered U.N. support for an invasion - and the coalition went in. By the time they got there the weapons were gone. Where did they go? Saddam Hussein had plenty of warning since we had to pussyfoot around to satisfy the Democrats who insisted on risking our national security so that they could attack a Republican president. A senior Iraqi Air Force officer stated that he saw the weapons being shipped across the border to Syria.

Saddam Husein could have avoided that invasion - but his actions precipitated it. He is responsible, just as he was responsible for gassing the Kurds, murdering, torturing, and raping his own people, oppressing women, and being a bully in a sensitive geopolitical area - the Middle East.

Iraq was liberated, improved, democratized, and the world is safer because of that and Saddam Hussein is now dead.

I will not allow Democratic revisionist history to stand or go unchallenged on this topic when I encounter it.

Want to supply another war - the causes for which you need me to explain?

I just did.
The USA could have avoided that invasion - but I guess only YOU know the truth. It's good that you are here to enlighten us. Many Republicans - question Iraq, you know. So please don't tell me what you will and will not allow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies