Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 04:42 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
So long as it doesn't take one dime out of your pocket, eh?
This. ^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 04:55 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Who said the child would be denied the operation?

The only question is who will pay for it.

In this case, the insurance company will pay for it and then pass the expense along to the rest of us in form of higher premiums.

While this may give us a warm fuzzy feeling, the end result is other families (perhaps not as wealthy as the family in the story) will pay more for insurance, fewer employers will offer insurance and families that we don't hear about will be bankrupted because they have no insurance at all.

I'm glad the kid will have the treatment she needs paid for, but let's not pretend the pain isn't felt elsewhere by other people.
This.^^ I might add that who really knows if she would have been denied care if Obamacare had never been passed. There was a little boy in my church battling cancer and his family couldn't pay for care. The church and fire department arranged to have a barbecue for him and managed to raise the money for his care. Libs and dems assume that we are all a bunch of victims who need protection when really many of us are capable of helping ourselves and others. We just CHOOSE not to.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
There was a little boy in my church battling cancer and his family couldn't pay for care. The church and fire department arranged to have a barbecue for him and managed to raise the money for his care.
Well, good for the church and fire department for helping that ONE little boy.

Do you think that that church and that fire department can do that for EVERY sick child (or adult) in your community?

Do you really think that if there were no safety nets that the churches and fire departments and all the barbecues and the bake sales in the world will be enough to pick up the slack?

Old 11-04-2012, 05:08 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
hence why I don't pay attention to most American Christians. Evangelicals overseas see things like UHC as a no brainer. Overseas it's a given that a Christian would want everyone to have access to health care without having to go bankrupt. American Christians are the only ones who actually think that it's okay that people have to choose between death and financial ruin when it comes to health care. Amazing.
Wrong. You are so wrong. I am a Christian and most of the AMERICAN Christians I know are the first to organize barbecues, concerts, and other benefits any time they hear someone is sick and can't afford care. They don't wait on the government to help others. They go out and do it themselves. I have attended several churches who help people with medications and doctor visits. One church I went to even ran its own free clinic for the poor in the community.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:16 PM

629 posts, read 772,081 times
Why wouldnt she have gotten care. Of course she would have gotten care, medicaide would have stepped in and what ever was in place before the unaffordable tax hike on the middle class act was passed. Thats the problem with liberals and washington DC, they are stacking entitlements on top of entitlements while attacking the middle class and bankrupting the country

what a tool

Old 11-04-2012, 07:21 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I have a hunch a majority of pro-lifers would be against it.
Hence the reason that the term "pro-life" is a misnomer and should only be reserved for people who value all human life at all stages.

Quote:
This.^^ I might add that who really knows if she would have been denied care if Obamacare had never been passed. There was a little boy in my church battling cancer and his family couldn't pay for care. The church and fire department arranged to have a barbecue for him and managed to raise the money for his care. Libs and dems assume that we are all a bunch of victims who need protection when really many of us are capable of helping ourselves and others. We just CHOOSE not to.
And if there weren't enough donations? What would have happened then, I wonder?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Wrong. You are so wrong. I am a Christian and most of the AMERICAN Christians I know are the first to organize barbecues, concerts, and other benefits any time they hear someone is sick and can't afford care. They don't wait on the government to help others. They go out and do it themselves. I have attended several churches who help people with medications and doctor visits. One church I went to even ran its own free clinic for the poor in the community.
And that's well and good. But in a developed nation like the U.S., I don't think that any family should have to battle their kids' or their own illness all the while thinking "I wonder if the donations will cover it" or "how am I going to pay for those bills." And what about people who don't have supportive social networks like churches to help them?

Also, while it's good to see neighbors helping each other like this, it's not a guarantee that a given family will be able to raise enough money to do that. So again, I've gotta ask, what happens if the donations end up not enough?

Last edited by mackinac81; 11-04-2012 at 07:37 PM..

Old 11-04-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
And that's well and good. But in a developed nation like the U.S., I don't think that any family should have to battle their kids' or their own illness all the while thinking "I wonder if the donations will cover it" or "how am I going to pay for those bills." And what about people who don't have supportive social networks like churches to help them?

Also, while it's good to see neighbors helping each other like this, it's not a guarantee that a given family will be able to raise enough money to do that. So again, I've gotta ask, what happens if the donations end up not enough?
This......and the fact that I find the idea of a single barbecue raising enough money to see a child through all his cancer treatments and follow-ups laughable.

Even a bunch of barbecues and bake sales and garage sales would in no way generate enough donations to do more than be a drop in the bucket in the total treatment of someone with cancer.

That poster said they raised enough money for "the care" of that little boy. I find that highly unlikely, and frankly, a rather convenient anecdote for her argument.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Kids in this country were never in trouble of going without care. Where do you get this from

wolf crying strawman

The unaffordable screw the middle class act is a freakin joke

Old 11-04-2012, 07:41 PM

When I wasworking poor I was always eligible for a Medicaide spenddown and my kids were covered to the hilt. There was no "access to care crisis".

it was all a bunch of crap to shift wealth from those who wprk for it and give it to those who vote for the clown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies