Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 02:15 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
And Mitt has promised to do away with these very kind of life-saving provisions that Obamacare insures:

Two years ago, Kevin F. Porter's daughter Erin, then 6 and living with leukemia since she was 3, "needed a bone-marrow transplant, just as Erin had nearly reached their insurance company’s lifetime cap and would no longer be covered for medical expenses. Then the family learned that a provision of the Obama health-care law had kicked in, barring lifetime caps for children. 'It lifted a huge burden off our shoulders,” her father, Kevin F. Potter, said. “We could have lost it all to pay for a transplant. Like any child’s parents we would have done it, but because of our president we didn’t have to. We could focus on Erin.”
Ohio Dad’s Star Turn at Obama Rally - Washington Wire - WSJ
Very nice sentiment. It's too bad a thread like this turnes into hatred for the president by right wing nobodies here on city-data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 02:25 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
what even more bizzare is how the same people who see goverment provided healthcare as immoral , oftern refer to themselves as christians
I totally agree.

You rarely see the same lack of compassion among those who claim to be agnostics and atheists as you do with the most fervent bible thumpers.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:27 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I'm know of a few,but what about follow up visits? Cost of labwork?
They simply don't have the funds to cover EVERYTHING.

Let's not forget,if the parents still work,they aren't eligible for Medicaid and SSI.
Thses are the in betweeners,that what I call them.
Make too much to qualify for Medicaid,make too little to cover their healthcare needs.

Look up medicaid/ medicare waivers for children, every state has them, parents income and assets are not considered.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:52 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Look up medicaid/ medicare waivers for children, every state has them, parents income and assets are not considered.
Oh so when a cap is reached now all of a sudden government health care is ok? If the private for profit system is so superior how about them providing for this child somehow?

Old 11-04-2012, 03:23 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
hence why I don't pay attention to most American Christians. Evangelicals overseas see things like UHC as a no brainer. Overseas it's a given that a Christian would want everyone to have access to health care without having to go bankrupt. American Christians are the only ones who actually think that it's okay that people have to choose between death and financial ruin when it comes to health care. Amazing.

i call them corporate christians

Old 11-04-2012, 03:30 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Oh so when a cap is reached now all of a sudden government health care is ok? If the private for profit system is so superior how about them providing for this child somehow?

Government health care is ok for those not able to provide for themselves, such as disabled children, I have never disagreed with that. AS for the rest of the population, those that can take care of themselves should take care of themselves, why should it be up to tax payers to subsidize those who are able to pay for their own health care? Even those who choose to work minimum wage jobs and not improve their lives are making the choice to not improve their lives and their position in life, it is their choices that lead to their lack of income, why should I or someone else who has made the choice to do what it takes to improve their lives have to subsidize those people?

Old 11-04-2012, 03:33 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
And Mitt has promised to do away with these very kind of life-saving provisions that Obamacare insures:

Two years ago, Kevin F. Porter's daughter Erin, then 6 and living with leukemia since she was 3, "needed a bone-marrow transplant, just as Erin had nearly reached their insurance company’s lifetime cap and would no longer be covered for medical expenses. Then the family learned that a provision of the Obama health-care law had kicked in, barring lifetime caps for children. 'It lifted a huge burden off our shoulders,” her father, Kevin F. Potter, said. “We could have lost it all to pay for a transplant. Like any child’s parents we would have done it, but because of our president we didn’t have to. We could focus on Erin.”
Ohio Dad’s Star Turn at Obama Rally - Washington Wire - WSJ
Eliminating the lifetime cap was 1 of 10 or so good changes in Obamacare. It's the other 2,500 pages I'm not sure about.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:38 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Government health care is ok for those not able to provide for themselves, such as disabled children, I have never disagreed with that. AS for the rest of the population, those that can take care of themselves should take care of themselves, why should it be up to tax payers to subsidize those who are able to pay for their own health care? Even those who choose to work minimum wage jobs and not improve their lives are making the choice to not improve their lives and their position in life, it is their choices that lead to their lack of income, why should I or someone else who has made the choice to do what it takes to improve their lives have to subsidize those people?

yes , lets ignore the fact that countless numbers of people who always worked have found themselves bankrupt through illness , everyone can be wealthy if they possess the will , like waving a magic wand

those starving kids in places like somalia , their also guilty of making the choice to be wretched

Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
You subsidize many others yourself. When you pay your health insurance premium you are subsidizing others, clear and simple otherwise there would be no insurance at all.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:56 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,160 times
Thing is, unless you are stinking rich, you DONT pay for your own healthcare. You pay into a pool...like taxes, which then goes to pay for the $200,000 treatment for cancer that guy down the street gets, the one you dont like, but just happens to have the same insurance company as you because you live in the same state.

I would actually like to see all the right wingers who bleat on about the 'freedom' to pay for yourself and make your own choices, pay their own health costs in total. We would soon see a change of mind about how great a system it is here.

A guy I work with has a degree and has been working at a low paid job for over a year. He has been trying to get another job all the time he has been there, multiple applications and interviews. He cant just 'choose' to better himself. You make it sound like its a done deal if you try hard enough. Its not, and in the meantime if he needs medical aid, he becomes, one of those, according to Republicans, who 'chose' not to improve his position in life and therefore does not deserve any help with his treatment.

I dont understand such heartless, cold reasoning...but then again, I am a European.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies