Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 02:33 AM

27,154 posts, read 15,327,118 times

Advertisements

CIA Director David Petraeus resigns, cites extramarital affair - U.S. News

Feinstein said she respects Obama’s decision to accept the Petraeus resignation, but wishes he hadn't.
She also said Petraeus will not need to testify at hearings she is chairing next week into the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed in the attack.

How did he go from schedued to testifying but now he "will not need to"?
This should have no effect on that at all.

Many here said this is unrelated so there is no reason for such a change.

I ask why?
One has no bearing on the other.

Last edited by bluesjuke; 11-10-2012 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: added content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Intel Committee Chair Feinstein just released a statement, saying he's off the hook.

Now I'M smelling something fishy too!

Yep, no reason for this.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:50 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
CIA Director David Petraeus resigns, cites extramarital affair - U.S. News

Feinstein said she respects Obama’s decision to accept the Petraeus resignation, but wishes he hadn't.
She also said Petraeus will not need to testify at hearings she is chairing next week into the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed in the attack.

How did he go from schedued to testifying but now he "will not need to"?
This should have no effect on that at all.

Many here said this is unrelated so there is no reason for such a change.
One thing has nothing to do with the other, but he no longer works for government, his resignation was effective immediately, and he is retired from the military. He is a civilian. He could be subpeonaed to appear before the Congressional hearing, but it is highly unlikely.

Michael Morell will be the Acting Director, stepping in for Petreaus, so he may be invited to appear before the Congressional hearing. If he does appear I bet he will use "I wasn't aware of that, sir" as a standard response.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, but your claim that the Administration was blackmailing him is DUMB!

The issue is that an affair leaves him open to blackmail by a foreign power - for example, what if the mistress was a Russian spy, or an Iranian spy?

THAT'S why it's a problem. Seduction and then blackmail as way to get information is a pretty classic means of getting classified info.

Ken

"Iran is a small country, they pose no threat"
B.O.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Generals are politicians. Politicians are liars.

You do the math.

Adulterers are as well.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
He will not be testifying next week or any week. It has already been announced. I want him to testify. I want him to take responsibility for benghazi. It was a CIA operation and he was in charge.

I strongly agree.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
With the election over I predict that Bengazi won't be much of a priority for the Republicans.

You would be wrong on that.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
One thing has nothing to do with the other, but he no longer works for government, his resignation was effective immediately, and he is retired from the military. He is a civilian. He could be subpeonaed to appear before the Congressional hearing, but it is highly unlikely.

Michael Morell will be the Acting Director, stepping in for Petreaus, so he may be invited to appear before the Congressional hearing. If he does appear I bet he will use "I wasn't aware of that, sir" as a standard response.

Wasn't he already?

Old 11-10-2012, 06:12 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Wasn't he already?
No, you are invited/request to attend a hearing. He was invited/requested while working for the government. As a civilian that invitation/request is pretty much withdrawn. I guess they could still ask for him to appear in a civilian capacity or subpeona him to appear.

What is so sad is that people talk about what an "honorable" man he is. That's like saying that Paula Broadwell is a woman of virtue. Petreaus' children are adults. Paula had a husband and two small children. Seems the families of both parties are forgotten in this mess - it must be painful for both families. I wonder if Paula got a heads up about this coming out so that she could let her husband know, or were they both caught by surprise?

I guess Paula has the material she needs for her tell-all book.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Default Why should Petraeus Resign?

Quote:
Petraeus carried on the affair with his biographer Paula Broadwell, a reserve Army officer, according to several U.S. officials with knowledge of the situation. They spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to discuss publicly the investigation that led to the resignation
I don't know that I totally buy this? However, if it is true, Paula Broadwell, should resign as well....how dare she do something like this to his career, his family, children, friends, and most of all, country?????

We all know most men, not all, but most men run around.....

I'm sorry, both of them were wrong, but she gets up on TV and talks about this with no embarrassment what so ever????????

This is a perfect example of individualism, someone who doesn't give a darn about the families she hurt, I have no respect what so ever for a woman who runs around with a married man!!!!

I'm sorry, but I wonder, if this is a lie, and he retired b/c of what happened in Bengazi?????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies