Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 05:36 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
This isn't a thread I want to be involved in if you think the Civil War was how American citizens occupy themselves between foreign wars.

I do think that most voters recognize that the federal government has dropped the ball in many ways and will continue to do so.

And I think we are all too smart in believing secession, another civil war or a revolution is going to get us anywhere.

But I do think the only logical path under our present political system (Big P Big S) is the lessening of federal power and the growth of States rights.
Yes please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 05:38 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Oh, good grief. The whole "petition" thing is just a publicity stunt by the White House, and a way for it to gather email addresses. It has no legal weight whatsoever. Even if some low-level White House drone were to reply, "good for you! Go for it!" it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

If you really want to pursue secession, you'll have to invest just a little bit more than simply filling in a web form. Question is, are you really willing to do that?
No. It's much more fun to come her and post about on CD.

Either you are out doing it - OR you are sitting behind your laptop posting about it on an anonymous internet forum.

Go - do it. Bye.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:39 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Here's someone who agrees with you...

Chuck Thompson On Texas Secession: Be Careful What You Wish For | The New Republic#

But why go to Texas? There's already a country in the world with:

a small federal government with limited power and meager influence over the private lives of its citizens; extremely weak trade unions routinely sabotaged by the federal government (i.e., a “pro-business environment”); negligible income tax; few immigrants, legal or otherwise; a dominant Christian population, accounting for some 70 percent of the people; no mandatory health insurance or concept of universal health care; a strong social taboo surrounding homosexuality and a constitution that already states, “All individuals have the right to marry a person of their choice of the opposite sex”; and a gun culture so ubiquitous that you can find automatic weaponry displayed openly on the streets of its capital city and in many households.

Sound like a Texan secessionist’s dream? Well, it’s no dream. This country already exists. It’s called the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

If you think that is representative of true liberty, you are mistaken.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I really don't see why it's so important to you libs for the rest of us to stay. Do you just like someone around to dowse as you spew forth your superior intellect? Do you just like to argue? Or is it that you just like to see the misery that you've always been so concerned about?
Bye. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:42 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Bye. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.
I won't, so maybe someone can use it to whack you in the ass, child. You here to discuss or insult?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
And the racist left speaks out again, how typical. You think this started with Obama? Do you work at being so ignorant or does it come naturally? People have talked about succession for centuries, it gained in popularity when Clinton was elected and tried to take the country left too.

I want to take my ball and stay home, the way home WAS before the liberals gained a majority. Quit trying to drive the country left and take from the producer to give to the baggage and you'll find a lot less resistance.
Translation:

Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,917 times
I suspect we'll eventually see someone from each of the states offer up some kind of knee-jerk secessionary plan. It's safe to assume that you'll find at least one person in each state who will mimic the Tea-Party-chic behavior of the month. The problem with all of this is that it's nothing more than paranoia, piled upon hyperbole, and blended with racial hatred. No one outside of the lunatic fringe supports any of this stuff. So, instead of looking to fix a dysfunctional government, these folks will look to symbolically enhance that dysfunction by hiding behind their jingoism and self-righteousness. Get over it! a black guy won the election. He did it with the assistance of Latinos, and women, and homosexuals, and a whole lot of other people who don't conform to the tradition of Christian white male corporate brown-nosers. If you want this country to be a better place, stop the obstructionism and be a constructive part of the solution.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I won't, so maybe someone can use it to whack you in the ass, child. You here to discuss or insult?
From my short time on the political CD forum - it seems to be a mixture of discussion and insult. Mainly insults. I'm just joining in the party.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:50 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
Seccession is treason. For some reason during an election cycle certain people on the far right will go to all efforts to show they are the most patriotic people and how they love the constitution and those on the left have no patriotism and despise the constitution. But when these same rightwingers lose an election, they all of a sudden become little Benedict Arnolds and start talk of seccession.

It definitely baffles me.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
No Texas can stay. The other ones can leave. We'll save a ton of money as they are a drain on the Federal budget.

The Red/Blue Paradox - Reason.com

Good luck making up the difference in what you lose from the Feds by taxing your own citizens.
Yeah Texas can be the Germany and the rest of them get to be the PIGS (Portugal Italy Greece and Spain)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies