Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I don't know why anyone would willingly choose to live in this Hell on Earth region known as the Middle East-it is a despotic wasteland. Our country needs to end all relations with the region or we will destroy ourselves along with them.
A despotic wasteland? Lol...who do you think set up many Middle Eastern despots? New Zealand?

Many of you seem to forget that Americans used to be the most popular westerners in the Middle East and Arab World. We were seen as fair arbiters...unlike the Europeans who the Arabs came to hate.

That all changed after WW2....and it's damn sure not the Arab's fault that the relationship turned so sour.

More than half a century of meddling in their affairs by westerners has made a mess of the region. Leave the people the hell alone and let them manage their own affairs, and they'll leave you alone. They were doing just fine before we stuck our noses in their business.

Especially after our fiasco in Iraq...I have no idea how Americans think they have a leg to stand on talking about the Arabs.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Now see, I can go along with this. I feel pretty much the same way.

What bugs me is folks that like to pretend there is no problem there and that the "non-problem" has nothing to do with religious fanaticism that has developed over centuries. Or claim that what's going on there is all our fault. I can agree that we fan the flames, have done some very foolish things there, and that we need to get out. But we didn't start it, we are not causing it, and by leaving will not suddenly cure it.

The best idea is to get out, let them kill one another, and not let the fanaticism overflow into other historically friendly and culturally like-minded nations.
We (meaning the West) didn't start it?

Tell me then...who started it?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:25 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Rockets were fired at Israel's 3rd largest city Haifa (which is the north) for the first time:
Hamas fires rocket at Haifa, some 150km from Gaza - Israel News, Ynetnews

Old 07-13-2014, 10:33 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
A despotic wasteland? Lol...who do you think set up many Middle Eastern despots? New Zealand?

Many of you seem to forget that Americans used to be the most popular westerners in the Middle East and Arab World. We were seen as fair arbiters...unlike the Europeans who the Arabs came to hate.

That all changed after WW2....and it's damn sure not the Arab's fault that the relationship turned so sour.

More than half a century of meddling in their affairs by westerners has made a mess of the region. Leave the people the hell alone and let them manage their own affairs, and they'll leave you alone. They were doing just fine before we stuck our noses in their business.

Especially after our fiasco in Iraq...I have no idea how Americans think they have a leg to stand on talking about the Arabs.
Hey, I'm not arguing with you at all-our country has been horrible to places like Iran and Iraq-overthrowing democratically elected Governments and installing ruthless dictators in the name of the global banker controlled US Dollar and the oil trade-but at some point we need to get the hell out of there. The United States and England have done enough damage already-I know the history.

None of it is for the benefit of the American people-nor Middle Easterners for that matter.

WAR IS A RACKET!
-Major General Smedley Butler

Old 07-13-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Hey, I'm not arguing with you at all-our country has been horrible to places like Iran and Iraq-overthrowing democratically elected Governments and installing ruthless dictators in the name of the global banker controlled US Dollar and the oil trade-but at some point we need to get out of there. The United States and England have done enough damage already-I know the history.
At some point?

Today sounds just fine with me.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:
At some point?

Today sounds just fine with me.
I'd bet that would be fine with an overwhelming majority of Americans-but we need to get our Puppet Politicians on the same page.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...oples/CjmPSCsG

Old 07-13-2014, 10:51 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
We (meaning the West) didn't start it?

Tell me then...who started it?
I think the British created the modern day Middle East mess.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:58 AM

610 posts, read 699,483 times
Quote:
I don't know why anyone would willingly choose to live in this Hell on Earth region known as the Middle East-it is a despotic wasteland. Our country needs to end all relations with the region or we will destroy ourselves along with them.
That's a pretty bold and generalized claim. To call one of the most historic regions on Earth with people who (for those who KNOW and associate with Middle Easterners, travel there, and have lived and experienced the culture) are known for their hospitality towards guests and travelers and their rich tradition of scholastic achievement, just because Faux News (Fox News) or BSMSM (MSNBC) have implanted negative images in your brain that's never physically left the Western World, is not only a blanket statement but, I'm guessing, not based on any personal experience of yours.

I'm not saying Middle Eastern governments are wonderful, or small segments of their people aren't susceptible to doing awful things (as if we aren't, ask the 500,000 Iraqi children that Madeline Albright said it was "worth it" to starve, or the 2000 Yemenis our government has killed in drone strikes, or the 700,000 plus Afghans, or the 1,000,000+ Vietnamese, Cambodians and Laotians that have lost their lives at the hands of U.S. invasions), but I am saying that to call the entire region a "despotic wasteland" is evidence of a.) a closed mind and b.) no actual experience in the region and c.) someone who listens to the U.S. media way too much (I don't know if you like the right or the left media, but they're really the exact same, they just don't like ach other).

Old 07-13-2014, 11:38 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,665,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
That's a pretty bold and generalized claim. To call one of the most historic regions on Earth with people who (for those who KNOW and associate with Middle Easterners, travel there, and have lived and experienced the culture) are known for their hospitality towards guests and travelers and their rich tradition of scholastic achievement, just because Faux News (Fox News) or BSMSM (MSNBC) have implanted negative images in your brain that's never physically left the Western World, is not only a blanket statement but, I'm guessing, not based on any personal experience of yours.

I'm not saying Middle Eastern governments are wonderful, or small segments of their people aren't susceptible to doing awful things (as if we aren't, ask the 500,000 Iraqi children that Madeline Albright said it was "worth it" to starve, or the 2000 Yemenis our government has killed in drone strikes, or the 700,000 plus Afghans, or the 1,000,000+ Vietnamese, Cambodians and Laotians that have lost their lives at the hands of U.S. invasions), but I am saying that to call the entire region a "despotic wasteland" is evidence of a.) a closed mind and b.) no actual experience in the region and c.) someone who listens to the U.S. media way too much (I don't know if you like the right or the left media, but they're really the exact same, they just don't like ach other).
No doubt. I've only been to Jordan Egypt and Israel but I definitely plan to return.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think the British created the modern day Middle East mess.
The French too. And since WW2, we're just as culpable. Moreso even.

Our involvement in the Mossadegh Affair set the stage for a hell of a lot of modern day problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies