Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,275,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
.......fired what he told police was a "good clean finishing shot" that went "under her chin up into the cranium.
That part of his statement just sends chills through me.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind could say what he did was anything but cold blooded murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,227,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is a sad story all around. First off, it sounds like this man has been harassed and stolen from before from previous articles on this story. But today he admitted to first shooting them after they broke in and then "finishing them off" after they were down.

The teens were not armed.

I feel bad for the kids who lost their lives, but at the same time they screwed up big time. Anyone should know you are risking your life when you break into someone's home.

But it almost seems that this man was hunting them and laying in wait.

Regardless of what side of the gun debate you are on, this is a very sad story.

Little Falls man describes 'finishing' teenagers with shots to heads - TwinCities.com

he should have lived in a castle law state, then he would not have had the problems. the teens got their just rewards.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Now, it seems that most would have no problem if the guy had shot the intruders once, right between the eyes, killing them instantly ... and that the major heartburn here revolves around the manner in which the man went about killing the intruders, to the same ultimate affect. So it all boils down to the man's marksmanship with firearms that will determine if he is just a man defending himself or a cold blooded murderer? That makes sense to anyone? Do you not see how these types of rationalizations open up such a large can of worms?
Wow, did you miss it by a mile or what...

It does not at all boil down to marksmanship; it all boils down to INTENT. Ever read anything about law? You know, all that talk about distinguishing between first-degree murder, second-degree murder, manslaughter, etc. - why else do you think those concepts even exist? Intent is a cornerstone of modern criminal prosecution.

If you are in a situation where there is a reasonable expectation that you are in immediate danger, then you have the right to defend yourself with lethal force. Your primary intent driving your actions is really to defend your life.

On the other hand, if you are in a situation where there is no reasonable expectation that you are in immediate danger and you deploy lethal force on another person - and a clearly incapacitated person, at that - then it's going to be pretty damn hard paint a picture other than that your primary intent driving your actions was to deliberately kill that person. That's called murder, and the law has a few things to say about that.

Complicated?... It's really not complicated at all; it's simple.

1,684 posts, read 1,187,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
he should have lived in a castle law state, then he would not have had the problems. the teens got their just rewards.
I would have just shot them all in the head the first time. A 12 gauge 00 buck or .45 ACP would have been more than enough.

FAWK the .22!

18,836 posts, read 37,425,175 times
This could almost be looked at from the perspective of onset of Dementia, lack of connection to reality, and hyper sensitivity to paranoia. Anyone who has been with people who have Alziemer's understands that.

These kids were not gonna grow up and. Be supreme court justices. This guy probably just saved tax payers a lot of money, as these society "gems" probably would have ended up incarcerated anyway.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Wow, did you miss it by a mile or what...

It does not at all boil down to marksmanship; it all boils down to INTENT. Ever read anything about law? You know, all that talk about distinguishing between first-degree murder, second-degree murder, manslaughter, etc. - why else do you think those concepts even exist? Intent is a cornerstone of modern criminal prosecution.

If you are in a situation where there is a reasonable expectation that you are in immediate danger, then you have the right to defend yourself with lethal force. Your primary intent driving your actions is really to defend your life.

On the other hand, if you are in a situation where there is no reasonable expectation that you are in immediate danger and you deploy lethal force on another person - and a clearly incapacitated person, at that - then it's going to be pretty damn hard paint a picture other than that your primary intent driving your actions was to deliberately kill the other person. That's called murder, and the law has a few things to say about that.

It's really not complicated at all.
You really need to get out of the Cals and live in the stand your ground State.

Someone enters your home without permission....they just signed their own death warrant.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:00 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,302,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post

Someone enters your home without permission....they just signed their own death warrant.
Read the thread. There are multiple explanations of why you do not execute someone you've incapacitated. Hint: it's the difference between self defense and murder.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 PM

I'll also say living alone....if at sometime in the middle of the night I hear broken glass and crunching as it's walked on......then I look up and see three people with "freak eyes" standing over the foot of my bed looking at me......out comes whatever I have loaded for that night.

I'll fail to mention to my fellow PD buddies I blinded their ass with my Streamlight M3 first.

lol

Old 11-28-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Read the thread. There are multiple explanations of why you do not execute someone you've incapacitated. Hint: it's the difference between self defense and murder.
Read ^ what I just posted. One .45 ACP...357 MAG...12 gauge, it's only going to take 1 shot.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post

And do you know how that law actually works? Let me give you the summary: Stand Your Ground law says that you have a right to defend yourself with lethal force when there is reasonable belief of a threat, without the obligation to retreat.

Now you tell me... where is the "reasonable believe of a threat" in a person who has already been shot multiple times and is sprawled out on the floor? And how are you "standing your ground" if you're putting a gun under the chin of that incapacitated person and blowing their brains out?

I'm shocked at the poor reasoning capacity of many adults on here. They hear "but they entered the house" and then their brains shut off from there. Is it something in the water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies