Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times

Advertisements

I would think this guy could do as so many others do in our liberal legal system -- just claim temporary insanity and get off with a slap on the wrist.

After all --- these kids were frequently breaking into homes to get their drugs and they were allowed to roam freely. In a just system, they would have been in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would think this guy could do as so many others do in our liberal legal system -- just claim temporary insanity and get off with a slap on the wrist.

After all --- these kids were frequently breaking into homes to get their drugs and they were allowed to roam freely. In a just system, they would have been in prison.
I'd LOVE to see stats on just how many people claim and successfully use "temporary insanity" as a legal defense. Methinks some people listen too much to "common knowledge" and not enough to actual facts.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:00 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
The homeowner has been charged.

Now let's let the jury decide his guilt or innocence.

If he is guilty of murder he will be punished.

Some on here are insinuating that the homeowner was at fault for having guns and cash in his home, and others are calling the criminals "kids" and "young adults" instead of labelling them as criminals.

The situation is unfortunate, because two people los their lives and the homeowner stands to lose his freedom all because two criminals decided to steal from a house while the homeowner was present. Had there not been a break-in, this would not have happened.

They were kids/young adults...that's a fact. Why is that too hard to comprehend? What does it matter what they are labeled anyway? The homeowner will lose his freedom because, like them, he made a very bad decision that will have (hopefully) serious consequences.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 AM

79 posts, read 80,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

I guess maybe the parents of the 17 year old should do some time in prison as well. Even if it's a year. I think parents should be held partially responsible for the actions of their children up until those children are 18, unless they legally disavow them and give up all rights as far as foodstamps/welfare ect.
So rich people never commit crimes? Only poor people on food stamps?

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Based on his age and odd lifestyle, it's possible he is in the early stages of dementia.
I certainly don't have a problem with his lifestyle, but not reporting the incident 'til the next day indicates something a bit more than just a little off the rails. Granted, shock can do things to people one would never expect, and he does seem to have a pattern of not wanting to bother people (authorities) with his problems. He seems to be a loner completely accustomed to handling things on his own. I can absolutely identify with that.

I feel sympathy for the old fella. He just wanted to be left alone. People need to respect that chosen lifestyle instead of fearing and criticizing it. We all have the right to live as we choose as long as we're not harming someone else. Those kids decided to interfere. They lost all rights when they did that.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Based on his age and odd lifestyle, it's possible he is in the early stages of dementia.
I certainly don't have a problem with his lifestyle, but not reporting the incident 'til the next day indicates something a bit more than just a little off the rails. Granted, shock can do things to people one would never expect, and he does seem to have a pattern of not wanting to bother people (authorities) with his problems. He seems to be a loner completely accustomed to handling things on his own. I can absolutely identify with that.

I feel sympathy for the old fella. He just wanted to be left alone. People need to respect that chosen lifestyle instead of fearing and criticizing it. We all have the right to live as we choose as long as we're not harming someone else. Those kids decided to interfere. They lost all rights when they did that.
I'm not going to comment on his health, but your portrayal of him doesn't add up to his actions. He wasn't shocked at all. I'm no doctor, but shock causes you to: a) walk up to two clearly downed and non-threatening people and "finish them off"? b) not alert the authorities until a day later?

These kids might not have been "role models", but this man wasn't a "poor old fella" either. Angry =/= shocked. He was angry, plain and simple. Those "young punks" were gonna die, period. He wasn't scared at all. He didn't call the cops because he knew that once the law found out, he was going to be in deep doo doo. He was fully aware of what he was doing/had done.

Burglarizing a house doesn't mean that those two deserved to be executed. Like someone said, what is the difference between him following up and headshotting them and him following up and decapitating them? If it was decapitation vs. a gun, it would clearly be an execution then? The principle is the same -- it wasn't his right to "finish him off". You can argue forever how lawless society has become and it has pushed people to it, but as it stands the law is the law and there is no law that says that a citizen can summarily "finish" someone off after they are clearly no longer a threat. That's manslaughter/murder/whatever.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Typical city-data right-wing logic:

Quote:
"Every life is sacred! Don't get that abortion! Abortion stops a beating heart!"

"I'm a follower of JAAAAYSUS! The problem is that we ain't got no more family values! We should be a more Christian nation!"

"The intruder has been neutralized, time to call the police... What, she's still alive? PUT A GUN UNDER HER CHIN AND BLOW HER DAMN BRAINS OUT!!! DIE, DIE, DIE!!!!!
As I recall, I think it was somewhere in the New Testament where Jesus put a glock under an already-incapacitated criminal's chin and pulled the trigger. You guys remember that one?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
In a previous article before these facts came out it said that the man's house had been broken into before and he lost $10,000 worth of guns and cash. So in reality he could have believed that they had the guns that were stolen from him.

But the part of him taking the 22 handgun and shooting the girl in the chest several times and then one under the chin I think is going to send him to prison for the rest of his life.
i agree.

i support the right to shoot someone who is breaking into your house, even if they turn out to be unarmed, and even if it happens to kill them.

but from the reports, it sounds like what he did was crossing the line into an execution, because he killed one of them AFTER the threat had been eliminated. i expect they'll find him guilty.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
the law will determine if it was home protection and self defense or murder. certainly we see more prosecutions for excessive force involving defense by citizens and police.. the overall message seems that violent criminals are not to be harmed even if they are trying to kill u. predators have become an endangered and protected species. the "troubled youth" defense seems to cover too much ground.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
cops do it all the time and get away with it.

the man was in fear for his life and the criminals got their asses shot off. the elderly man should be let out of jail with no charges at all.
First of all, even if cops do this, it is not justified. And when they are caught, they face trial and go to jail for it. Murder is murder.

Furthermore, the man was no longer in fear for his life. He had already shot the intruders the first time around, and he was justified in doing that.

Finally, there is a difference between justifiably shooting someone in self defense versus putting a gun under their chin after they're already clearly incapacitated and executing them. The fact that you can't tell the difference is really scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies