Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 01:33 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Guess that puts to bed the arguments about gun control laws preventing this.
If his mom hadn't been able to legally purchase semi automatic weapons, would they have been in her home and available to him? Banning all guns isn't going to happen (and shouldn't happen) but semiautomatic weapons make it way too easy for someone to do a huge amount of damage in a very short time. If this kid would have had to stop and reload constantly, he might have killed several people, but there's a good chance that someone would have been able to stop him before he carried out the carnage that he did...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 01:35 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Default It ain't the guns, it ain't video games... it's the medication

What do all of these school shooters we've seen in the last decade or two have in common? They are all on anti-depressants (SSRIs). Mania and violence are a know side effect, especially in the young. Eli Lilly - maker of the top selling SSRIs - allude to this in their own guide to anti-depressants:

Quote:
What is the most important information I should know about antidepressant medicines, depression and other serious mental illnesses, and suicidal thoughts or actions?
1. Antidepressant medicines may increase suicidal thoughts or actions in some children, teenagers, and young adults within the first few months of treatment.
http://pi.lilly.com/us/AntiDep-MedGuide.pdf

I am not a fan of this section of the board but I do think people need to be made aware of the dangers of our being an overly medicated society! That football player who killed his girlfriend and himself, was he taking prescription meds?

Virginia Tech shootings? He was on prescription meds
Columbine? Scripts
Dude who shot up the Sikh temple, Wade Page? Scripts
Batman Returns? Scripts
Eduardo Sencion, shot up an IHOP last year? Scripts

Here is a website that has gathered links to thousands of violent stories in which the person was on an SSRI drug. It hasn't been updated in a year but it sure is interesting!

SSRI Stories

Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
I agree with you that THAT has A LOT to do with it...very sad!

Old 12-15-2012, 01:38 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
No I did not mean a memorial park...By the way this little thing shown in the video looks like it needs some water. What I was thinking of was not a memorial park..just a beautiful place with maturing trees...lush green grass...a little heaven on earth. A place where the angels could play...I don't like the idea of memorials...or crosses or teddy bears and balloons. The school itself does not look like an expensive building. Removing it would not be about evil wining...but about evil being forgotten and tossed into oblivion where it belongs.

The school will always be a memorial to the killer. When people drive by or go in he will come to mind...probably more so than the poor little souls that were harmed. Create something that represents LIFE...happiness...a place were kids and their parents can go and enjoy...a place where laughter will ring out on a sunny day. Those that say "nothing that a fresh coat of paint won't fix" are missing the point. This was such a horrific event that to leave that school building standing would show a lack of understanding...Think of the school as a piece of left over pizza that the devil had bitten into...It is not a waste to toss it in the garbage- it is a must.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:38 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
CT's strict gun purchase requirements worked, but no doubt, this unbalanced nut would have been free to buy in most of the nation.
No one under 21 can purchase a handgun legally anywhere in this nation.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:39 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
All FDA approved and administered under the supervision of a government licensed professional, but yet all we hear about is the guns...

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Maybe they were on meds because they were crazy??? Correlation does not equal cause.

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
What is funny is soon we are all going to be on anti-depressants and a cocktail of other stuff. That stuff doesn't break down and is only increasing as a pollutant.

Drugs in Our Drinking Water?

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
As someone who has been on Prozac in the past, I can tell you it did not sit well with me. It made me feel like a zombie, I felt no emotion. I hated it. I was only on 10 mg. Most people are usually prescribed higher dosage.

People just such drugs are okay because the government says so.

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times
I absolutely mean this in the most un-calous way but... the law worked as it should. These were guns legally obtained, registered and owned by a fine, upstanding Kindergarten teacher.

Anything short of a full-on, UK-style, total gun ban, gun laws weren't the failing here.

I'm so middle of the road on guns, I see clearly both sides of the argument but accept that their is no perfect compromise. While my heart absolutely understands the "ban guns" side, my brain knows that is not the answer.

I'd rather see the discussion focus on the ROOT of the problem (mental health) instead of the "tool" used to do damage to others long after the point of no return has been passed, health-wise.

I also think we need to take a hard look at what is happening in our society that makes these (mostly younger) unstable folks decide that they need to not only harm themselves, but destroy as many innocent lives as possible in the process. Is it the "look at me" generation? Are they trying to make some sort of statement?

Is there something inherent in what "we" as a society have evolved to over the last couple of decades? I honestly don't know the answer. But incidents like this are becoming more and more "common" (I use quotes there because they are still mathematically, extremely rare, despite their shock value). I see a lot of folks taking the... "We took God out of our schools and lives" argument but I don't personally buy that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies