Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 09:06 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,430,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yes, I can deny it and do.....you must be another of those christians who just ignore the history of christianity with it's wars and murders and torture and rape and theft and general immorality...how cozy for your little ideas.
The history of what churches did and Christianity is different. Very different. There were a lot of atrocities committed by churches that were bastardized by men looking for power. Many during those times spoke against it.

Learn your history instead of trying to lump things together to try and make your arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 09:07 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I understand you have an agenda, as irrational as it may be. This is a tragedy that we all have to look at seriously... Tell me, how many guns did Tim Mc Vay use to commit the mass murder that he and Terry Nicols commited? It isn't about the guns, it's about generations of the failure in the family structure. There are too many single parents and too many children that are over indulged. We no longer teach our children morals.. They are self absorbed and it has lead to the degredation of our society. You can try and ban guns, but, the fact is, a mad man can (and in the forseeable future will) commit a mass murder without the use of a firearm. Firearms have been a part of the fabric of this country since it's inception. As with any tool it can be misused and will be. How many people have been killed on our nations highways by the misuse of a motor vehicle? How many people have been stabbed to death? Do we ban the use of the automobile because a drunk hits a school bus? Do we eliminate knives because someone uses one to commit a crime? It's not a question of the tool, but the individual who uses the tool.. The one tool we no longer use is the tool of respect for human life. We no longer give this tool to our children.. Until we once again do, mass murders will continue, with or without firearms.
My agenda is certainly not irrational. This "tool" you speak of is capable of far more damage than a knife. It's a matter of degree. Ask yourself why you're not allowed to own missiles and radioactive weapons... it's because they can kill MANY people in one fell swoop. The technology is way beyond any one person's ability to stop it from harming many.

The original crux of my argument is demonstrated by asking why the NRA fights EVERY SINGLE LAW that tries to limit the people who might misuse this "tool". It's so easy to buy a gun and kill multiple people... it's far more difficult to get a driver's license. Can we AT LEAST be as stringent with guns as we are with cars for crying out loud?!? The point of driving a car is to NEVER hurt yourself or another person when using that tool. What's the purpose of a gun as a tool? TO KILL.

If there were no guns, there would be no need to defend yourself with a gun. Get it? It's a societal arms race and we are all losing.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:09 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,693,567 times
Ryan Lansa was at work during the shootings. He is cooperating with police at this time.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Who is being irrational here? We certainly must have SOME restrictions on guns. At the very least you must have proven that you are mature, sane, and responsible. We would not let a person take people for plane rides without some assurance that the individual is competent and aware of the risks. Yet somehow asking that people pass some sort of background check, age limit, and perhaps drug and mental health screening before they can buy large magazine weapons is irrational. How sad. This has become an ideological argument, when it really should be rational. The NRA is an industry supported group with NO morals. We cannot follow their lead. We must do the right thing, and the Second Amendment is NOT being put at risk by being cautious.
Amen!

Old 12-14-2012, 09:11 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,825 times
I told my gun loving best friend not to worry, video games and Marilyn Manson would be blamed before the day was out. I thought the game in question would likely be Halo or Gears of War. Not in my wildest dreams did I think it would be Mass Effect of all games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
This game, Mass Effect, is basically a video game version of Star Trek. It is very tame and is no more "violent" then a typical action movie.
Heck, it's far more tame than most violent television shows these days. Yes, it has guns but it isn't gratuitous violence and gore.

I'm so over video games being blamed.

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Interesting how in this liberal public school, this killer was allowed to walk on in with guns, but you know if he had tried bringing in a Bible, he would have been immediately stopped and blocked.
What's interesting is how you made that up. You have no knowledge of the manner in which he entered the school. Since his mother was a teacher there, a staff member may have let him in more readily than a total stranger. His guns may have been hidden (he left his rifle in his car) or he may have started shooting as soos as he entered the school. A person could easily walk into a school with a Bible; in fact, most school libraries have a copy. Now if a stranger came to school and announced, "I'm here to give Bibles to the kids", i'm sure they'd turn him away. Just as I'm sure that if he announced, "I'm here to bring guns into school", staff would call police.

4,574 posts, read 7,503,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Self professed is different from following the Bible's teachings.
But not every Christian interprets or follows the teachings of the Bible as you do.

Quote:
Yes, practicing Christians are much less likely to commit such atrocities.
Can you back this claim up, or are you going by a gut reaction?

Quote:
Not all lack morals, but its a lot more difficult to have morals if you don't have a moral compass.
What? Societal mores and values are exactly that. Everyone knows that rape is wrong. Everyone knows that murder is wrong. These are basic "rules".

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
My agenda is certainly not irrational. This "tool" you speak of is capable of far more damage than a knife. It's a matter of degree. Ask yourself why you're not allowed to own missiles and radioactive weapons... it's because they can kill MANY people in one fell swoop. The technology is way beyond any one person's ability to stop it from harming many.

The original crux of my argument is demonstrated by asking why the NRA fights EVERY SINGLE LAW that tries to limit the people who might misuse this "tool". It's so easy to buy a gun and kill multiple people... it's far more difficult to get a driver's license. Can we AT LEAST be as stringent with guns as we are with cars for crying out loud?!? The point of driving a car is to NEVER hurt yourself or another person when using that tool. What's the purpose of a gun as a tool? TO KILL.

If there were no guns, there would be no need to defend yourself with a gun. Get it? It's a societal arms race and we are all losing.
There would still be crime. What do you defend yourself with..a baseball bat ?
The criminals could very possibly still have guns..they do today. Then what do you do ?
When seconds count, the cops are minutes away.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:14 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,953 times
If people shouldn't blame the gun for the shooting, why should they blame the video game?

Especially if the player wasn't the shooter and it was a completely different person.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:14 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,199 times
I used to be among those who pooh-poohed this notion that video games and violent movies have some sort of deleterious effect on children. "It's all about the parents and how the kids are raised," said I. "After all, there's no evidence that kids go out and shoot people after playing these games!" What a fool I was. Yes, of course, hardly any kids directly emulate these games. They don't go out and become spree killers. What a foolish way of judging the effects of this crap on kids. If we allow ourselves to move past whether they become killers, we are willfully ignorant if we deny that this crap desensitizes children to violence and horror. What cost do we pay as a society to having generations of people who are increasingly indifferent to acts of violence around them? Increasingly insensitive to suffering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies